Ovens and King Football League 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

So I have learnt over the last couple days...

Few signings to come yet too I'd say. I'm speaking as a player of their senior side. I came over last year. I love the club, there's a great history behind it and they were all incredibly welcoming, Not once have I felt as if I wasn't a part of the club, or vilified for coming from another league. Part of the reason I'll be playing there again this year.

Few signings to come yet too I'd say. I'm speaking as a player of their senior side. I came over last year. I love the club, there's a great history behind it and they were all incredibly welcoming, Not once have I felt as if I wasn't a part of the club, or vilified for coming from another league. Part of the reason I'll be playing there again this year.
We will flog you blokes!!!

Jesus KV look to be struggling after going down to the Savoy tonight in the internationals rules. Hayden Murray looked to do a hamstring really didn't look nice

Getting tired of reading people
Bagging out benalla all
Blacks...... The club has been mis-managed in the past which lead to it being "rebuilt".... In the past few years they have done a fantastic job of creating a great culture at the club ( yes!! Winning games is important, but not as important as providing a stable club for Young men and women and families to grow ( which is more than most clubs in the ovens and king are prepared to do). Their "bad culture" does not exist anymore. They have a lot of fantastic blokes and people that have been loyal to their club and prepared to sacrifice a lot of things to make sure that the club is viable into the future. The club is in fantastic shape and is prepared to put culture before winning games of football. Yes, the recruiting last year was promising early on, and disappointing as the year went on, but it was individuals that didn't deliver what they promised, not the clubs efforts to improve. But they constantly learn from their mistakes and have recruited very well this year. It's about time the general public stopped punishing the current group for their predecessors bad choices! If the current coaches can get this young group fit & focussed, then I believe a lot of the keyboard warriors. On here will eat their words!
#Panthers2016

Lee Dale would be very handy that's for sure. I see Glenrowan have taken another chunk of north Wang players this year.
Garland would be a bit of a loss being north best player last year.

Although there is a strong family conection I think it would be unlikely that a vfl player would come and play O&K , i might be wrong .

Getting tired of reading people
Bagging out benalla all
Blacks...... The club has been mis-managed in the past which lead to it being "rebuilt".... In the past few years they have done a fantastic job of creating a great culture at the club ( yes!! Winning games is important, but not as important as providing a stable club for Young men and women and families to grow ( which is more than most clubs in the ovens and king are prepared to do). Their "bad culture" does not exist anymore. They have a lot of fantastic blokes and people that have been loyal to their club and prepared to sacrifice a lot of things to make sure that the club is viable into the future. The club is in fantastic shape and is prepared to put culture before winning games of football. Yes, the recruiting last year was promising early on, and disappointing as the year went on, but it was individuals that didn't deliver what they promised, not the clubs efforts to improve. But they constantly learn from their mistakes and have recruited very well this year. It's about time the general public stopped punishing the current group for their predecessors bad choices! If the current coaches can get this young group fit & focussed, then I believe a lot of the keyboard warriors. On here will eat their words!
#Panthers2016
Well said, certainly shouldn't be any talk of bad culture etc these days at Blacks. I reckon they are on the right track.

Although there is a strong family conection I think it would be unlikely that a vfl player would come and play O&K , i might be wrong .
Coming off a serious neck injury thats ended his vfl days. Hes very keen to play up this way again and the lure of helping out his brother seems to have been the deciding factor. Good luck to the lad, can seriously chase leather.

Watched an over 35's comp in Wodonga weekend just gone, Age doesn't seem to be worrying two old Happy Hoppers Peter Sullivan and Anthony Welsh.
Well played boys,,, Think Sullivan was "player of the carnival" too..

Its good to see some of the clubs that have struggled a bit on field having the potential to come up a bit and have more success than in the past, and I can appreciate that they have probably copped a fair amount of flack about their performances etc....but lets not get ahead of ourselves or too excited just yet.

Batcave, I hope these sides (yours included) do come up and start winning more as its good for the comp in general, but lets remember there is only one thing worse than a sore loser....and that's a sore winner!!

So lets not get too unsporting with statements of floggings hey, I remember seeing a few 150-200 defeats not too long ago. And I'm sure no one wanted to have crap hung on them about it.

Massive blow for Moyhu with Jaimon McGeehan moving away. I'd rank him well inside the top 10 players in the comp. That sixth spot may be out of reach for the Hoppers now.

Think the top 6 was going to be a stretch for Moyhu with him anyway but he is a huge loss. Very good consistent player.
Also hearing Glenrowan have lost a few players. Havent heard of many recruits for them and think their numbers at training have been very low. Could be the beginning of the end...

From what I have heard Glenrowan's senior side have a few going out and a few coming in, but whether the ones coming in can match the calibre of the departures is questionable. I have also heard they have picked up quite a few for the two's...but not many that will be able to keep their spot if they are playing the big games again. Time will tell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also hearing Glenrowan have lost a few players. Havent heard of many recruits for them and think their numbers at training have been very low. Could be the beginning of the end...

Unlikely. Losses at this stage are Cohen, Munro, Monteith, Pike, Dyson and Scott Bradley.

Cohen a big one but can be covered given the strength of their defence. Munro leaves a hole up forward but Nigel Robinson's return will more than cover that. Monteith had a couple of good games but wasn't a huge contributor, Pike was never able to play his best football after injuries and Dyson will be well and truly covered by the arrival of Mitch Kilner/Josh Garland in the midfield. Bradley only played twos last year.

They are very keen on new recruits Jake Curnow-Fisher, Ash Matthes and Chris Cooper, who all sound like they will be handy players.

So if anything they could well be stronger than last year, depending on how Nigel goes once he gets back and how the new blokes fit in.

Unlikely. Losses at this stage are Cohen, Munro, Monteith, Pike, Dyson and Scott Bradley.

Cohen a big one but can be covered given the strength of their defence. Munro leaves a hole up forward but Nigel Robinson's return will more than cover that. Monteith had a couple of good games but wasn't a huge contributor, Pike was never able to play his best football after injuries and Dyson will be well and truly covered by the arrival of Mitch Kilner/Josh Garland in the midfield. Bradley only played twos last year.

They are very keen on new recruits Jake Curnow-Fisher, Ash Matthes and Chris Cooper, who all sound like they will be handy players.

So if anything they could well be stronger than last year, depending on how Nigel goes once he gets back and how the new blokes fit in.

Over the last few years I think everyone has said the same thing. Is this the end for Glenrowan. Me included. They continue to prove everyone wrong. So like everyone we will just have to wait and see but my money is on them being very hard to beat if all their key players are playing.

Coming up for the Easter game at Bright again this year Nonch, who are the in`s and out`s for Tarra and Bright this season and how do you see their season`s panning out?

Coming up for the Easter game at Bright again this year Nonch, who are the in`s and out`s for Tarra and Bright this season and how do you see their season`s panning out?

Been a little while since we've checked in with Tarra so at this point I have to assume they will have a fairly similar looking line up to last year and probably be around that 4-5 mark again.

Bright has added Ben Henwood (Wang) and Brendan Jenvey (Myrt), as well as a few others, and lost very little. Given their biggest weaknesses were small forwards and midfield depth, I think Bright is shaping up very well and in my mind will be the biggest threat to Glenrowan winning a third straight flag. They will need to have a bit more luck on the injury front than they managed last year though.

Long-time reader.

Nonch, have watched the development of the Tigers over the last three years. Wondering which Melbourne boys are staying this year for them and which ones you think are important to their side if they're to win a third?

Long-time reader.

Nonch, have watched the development of the Tigers over the last three years. Wondering which Melbourne boys are staying this year for them and which ones you think are important to their side if they're to win a third?

I think if you look at the ins and outs, it would seem that a few of the guys that were travelling have left, but they have been replaced with quality young local footballers. The reliance on guys out of Melbourne looks to be less, but you would have to know exactly how many there are etc to know what impact it will have.

Either way, the tigers will continue to have strong core of players and are topping up with locals, so it may mean they will be very strong for some time to come. I think Nonch was right that if Nigel Robinson can be fit for the season he will have a huge impact, surely most opposition sides see him as one of the hardest guys to match up on.

It looks at this stage that Bright are also building well, and probably the early favourite to upset the top two.
2016 will see a very high quality style of footy played as far as ovens and king footy goes.

If you read the article in yesterdays Chronicle it might offer some more insight in to how things are travelling out at the tigers. Seems like not all of the travellers played as much footy as I would have expected last year. Can they continue to reinvent themselves?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back