Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

It was very nice. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. I want to see like five wins in a row before declaring this team is "there". If they can string together a streak like four or five wins, then their own self-belief is THERE. Then as a fan, seeing that they truly believe, executing consistently, winning streak, I can carry myself away looking forward to the playoffs.

I'm pretty sold that we're going ok. The hope is that we can grow to be something better than 'ok'. Our wins have been big and convincing and our losses have been close and competitive. Now we just need to keep beating who we should beat and hopefully take a scalp or two in the tougher games. I'm convinced!

I'm pretty sold that we're going ok. The hope is that we can grow to be something better than 'ok'. Our wins have been big and convincing and our losses have been close and competitive. Now we just need to keep beating who we should beat and hopefully take a scalp or two in the tougher games. I'm convinced!
HOLD YOUR HORSES young man! They're not yet THERE tho. It's times like these when the players themselves can get complacent, and drop a game. Have to see them slaughter someone first. And/or get a comeback win. Or win a game say purely on D. That will convince me then.

It never ends. Again.

Buzzing on Yahoo Sports:
The epic story of the 2015 Royals and their

@media (max-width: 1200px) { #td-title
Oakland city leaders to ponder new plan for Raiders stadium
1 hour ago AP - Sports

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Oakland city officials are taking yet another run at financing a new stadium to keep the Oakland Raiders in town.

Assistant City Administrator Claudia Cappio said Monday that the city has hired a stadium consultant to come up with new financing options that won't include taxpayer money to build a $900 million stadium.

The Raiders say they need about $400 million in public money for a new stadium to replace the dilapidated Oakland Coliseum. Local leaders are reluctant to pitch in given that they are still paying off debt from a 1995 remodel that brought the Raiders back from Los Angeles.

Cappio said a consultant is expected to present a proposal privately to the City Council and to the Alameda Board of Supervisors, perhaps as soon as this week.

''We're trying to get some sense of common ground,'' she said.

Cappio said the city can commit money to upgrade infrastructure, including storm drains and better lighting, as the city would need to do that anyway for future use of the grounds.

Raiders owner Mark Davis made a surprise appearance at an NFL-sponsored town hall in Oakland last week, saying he wanted the team to stay in Oakland but needed local help to do so.

The Raiders are also working on a joint deal with the division-rival San Diego Chargers to build a $1.7 billion stadium in Carson outside of Los Angeles.

The team said it had no comment on Oakland's latest effort.

Jones had a nice run thru the Jets. Should be on the highlights for the year. He was as happy as a kitten under a leaking cow.

Taiwan Jones Provides A Spark – Jones only played 8 offensive snaps (13%) against the Jets, but he sure made the most of his time on the field, rushing the ball twice and also taking his lone catch 59 yards for a touchdown. In addition to his work on offense, Jones played 18 special teams snaps, returning 4 kickoffs for 101 yards.

Two nuggets I'll share:

The last 5 games we've played, we've given up an average of just 20 points on defense per game. Also, if you ignore that first game, our offense has averaged 27.5 points per game, which would rank #4 in the NFL.

With regards to our offense, we can't be "pigeon-holed." By that, I'm meaning that we can't be isolated and stereotyped. We can run it inside and outside. We can pass it short, intermediate or deep. We have multiple plays out of the same formation such that we are not easy to gameplan against both during the week of preparation, and on gameday. What I LOVED from Carr yesterday, was the way he was setting up the running game. He was fake tossing it left and right, pump faking to the receivers, faking inside and giving it to the RB on a sweep etc. It might only add a small step of uncertainty but in the NFL that's all you need to turn a 3-4 yard gain into a 20+ yard chunk play.

It pretty much is a similar case on D. I mean, for the first few weeks of the season we were a team who ran exclusive 43 looks. Come week 3 our base was a hybrid 34/52 look. The past few weeks it's been a combination. Then we've had different personnel in the nickel. This past game, with Neiron Ball out, we saw a lot more Larry Asante, who covered the TE in sub packages.

When for the most part you do everything well, the game becomes so much easier. It no longer becomes a case of "we gotta play to our strengths." Any coach can say that. But if your strength is also the opponent's strength, you're more than likely not going to win games. Your strength gets nullified and then you have zip. But when you can do everything well, it becomes a different game. You have more room to gameplan. It becomes more a game of figuring out what the opponents do poorly, and expose it with our explosive offense. On D, it's all about bringing the intensity every week. We aren't the most talented, but on D we are bringing the Wood (pun intended) each and every Sunday.

This team is a year ahead of where I thought they'd be. No reason why we can't win at least 9 games this year.

Carr was blitz 22 times yesterday and threw for over 250 yds when blitz with 2 touchdowns. Straight torched their defense.

3 Touchdowns against the blitz actually. Not bad for someone who, coming into the pros, was knocked for being suspect against pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 Touchdowns against the blitz actually. Not bad for someone who, coming into the pros, was knocked for being suspect against pressure.

By Jimmy Durkin jdurkin@bayareanewsgroup.com
Posted: 11/05/2015 03:36:28 PM PST0 Comments |

ALAMEDA -- Derek Carr is thriving under pressure the way few young quarterbacks -- or any quarterback for that matter -- have in recent memory.

The Raiders' second-year signal caller leads the NFL with a passer rating of 131.8 against blitzes, according to the football analysis website Pro Football Focus. His rating is 36.7 better facing a blitz then not, the highest positive gap in the league by a wide margin.

Seven of Carr's 15 touchdown passes and nearly 40 percent of his yards have come against a blitz, despite teams sending extra defenders less than 30 percent of the time.

"It's something that we put a lot of effort and work into," Carr said. "It's definitely something that we want to make sure we can handle because as I've learned through past experiences from me not even playing, but watching other people play, you can't complete balls when you're on your back."

That would be a reference to Derek's older brother David Carr, a former No. 1 pick who was sacked an NFL record 76 times as a rookie.

Being calm under pressure is a trait typically thought to be possessed by the league's veteran elite quarterbacks, not a second-year guy on an up-and-coming team.

Just going to put this out there....

Our future "franchise pass rusher" is not on our current roster.

Just think Mack is not that guy. He'll be an excellent LOLB or LE, a strong side type of player, like a Watt. Someone who gets a lot of stuffs and hurries. But that actual great pass rusher, that player who gets 1-3 sacks a game, generates a ton of 1-on-1 pressure from the right...that's not him.

Just think Mack is not that guy. He'll be an excellent LOLB or LE, a strong side type of player, like a Watt. Someone who gets a lot of stuffs and hurries. But that actual great pass rusher, that player who gets 1-3 sacks a game, generates a ton of 1-on-1 pressure from the right...that's not him.

Let's draft Nkemdiche.

I see your skepticism. At the same time, if you look at the PFF stats, he generates a ridiculous amount of QB hurries and pressures. His pass rushing skills are very much elite, they just haven't really translated into sacks yet. FWIW, he's on 4 sacks so far this year, if he gets one tomorrow he'll be on track for double digit sacks in his second year. To put it into perspective, JJ Watt didn't break out till year 3.

I do agree that we need an additional pass rusher to compliment what we already have. I expect Aldon to sign long term. I really would love to see us sign Bruce Irvin next FA class but I doubt that happens. Regardless, we are in a good place going forward on both sides of the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back