Offering yourself for free to get the job you want?

Remove this Banner Ad

blunt_tiger

All Australian
Suspended
Aug 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Has anyone had experience doing this or if you are a business owner how do you see these types of offers.

To get into the line of work I would like to do for the rest of my life, as I'm getting too old to be in and out of casual jobs all the time, I'm considering doing this. Even up for a huge 6 months, free work being trained.

Opinions and thoughts on this appreciated.

Depends what that kind of work is.

Unpaid internships/apprenticeships are a big thing, but I've always felt they were a bit of a joke. If a company truly thinks you've got a future, they can put their money behind you. If they aren't willing to pay, they're just looking at you as expendable and you'll have a terrible time getting a job offer or recommendation out of them most likely.

I was given the chance at unpaid internships along my previous career goal, turned them down because they sounded like acceptable slavery. Now, I'm in an entirely different career that I'm alright with and glad I didn't piss my time away.

• Banned

Unpaid internships/apprenticeships are a big thing, but I've always felt they were a bit of a joke. If a company truly thinks you've got a future, they can put their money behind you. If they aren't willing to pay, they're just looking at you as expendable and you'll have a terrible time getting a job offer or recommendation out of them most likely.

I was given the chance at unpaid internships along my previous career goal, turned them down because they sounded like acceptable slavery. Now, I'm in an entirely different career that I'm alright with and glad I didn't piss my time away.

Fair enough, but if it's something you want and it may be the only way in. As I said, offer yourself for free for 6 months to learn, set an example and hopefully make that good of an impression to stay on as a paid and valued employee. If that doesn't happen at least there may be a reference in it.

Yep, if your skills are valuable they can pay you for them.

• Banned
No s**t if your skills are valuable they can pay you. Is that the ******* question?

For those ******* dumb campaigners here that can't even comprehend the ******* english language they think they speak, here is what the ******* question is in another way so that hopefully people can ******* understand something for once. FFS! I mean really, does everyone want to speak fractured wog as a main language or something, why do dumbshits these days idolise dumb fractured language communication and people alike as cool and something to be like. No wonder the country is ****ed and on a massive decline.

1. You want a job that you have interest in but no qualification or experience
2. You offer yourself as a free worker to get experience and educated in the exact field you desire

Now, the question is how often does this happen and how successful is it in general? Also, for business owners, how do they feel professionally about the people that offer themselves in this way and are they more appealing to your business with a long term view.

It's not ******* rocket science this english language people, if you don't really have the answer then shut the * up because you sound like utensil heads.

Genuine responses only for once on this ******* site would be great!

No s**t if your skills are valuable they can pay you. Is that the ******* question?

For those ******* dumb campaigners here that can't even comprehend the ******* english language they think they speak, here is what the ******* question is in another way so that hopefully people can ******* understand something for once. FFS! I mean really, does everyone want to speak fractured wog as a main language or something, why do dumbshits these days idolise dumb fractured language communication and people alike as cool and something to be like. No wonder the country is stuffed and on a massive decline.

2. You offer yourself as a free worker to get experience and educated in the exact field you desire

Now, the question is how often does this happen and how successful is it in general? Also, for business owners, how do they feel professionally about the people that offer themselves in this way and are they more appealing to your business with a long term view.

It's not ******* rocket science this english language people, if you don't really have the answer then shut the **** up because you sound like utensil heads.

Genuine responses only for once on this ******* site would be great!

Don't worry about the other numbskulls, I'll answer you properly: Yes, you can get paid for having the correct skills.

• Banned
Don't worry about the other numbskulls, I'll answer you properly: Yes, you can get paid for having the correct skills.

Perfect example of troll you are! * this site right off!

Perfect example of troll you are! **** this site right off!

Oh, sorry. I read your original post wrong. :(

Yes, you will get paid if you get a job.

Why do you troll, your'e not even good at it! **** off!

Mate firstly chill out or you will give yourself an early heart attack.

To answer your question, its a personal decision and depends on how motivated you are to break into the industry. On one hand, it can be a form of exploitation. However success comes from persistance, and if you are willing to work without pay to gain experience, not much is going to stop you from succeeding in the long run. You can always join another company after doing your unpaid time as well.

I did an internship and it worked out well for me. That said, it's pretty standard in my industry. Some people seem to get really excited about clerking for all of the big firms in town.

Mate firstly chill out or you will give yourself an early heart attack.

To answer your question, its a personal decision and depends on how motivated you are to break into the industry. On one hand, it can be a form of exploitation. However success comes from persistance, and if you are willing to work without pay to gain experience, not much is going to stop you from succeeding in the long run. You can always join another company after doing your unpaid time as well.

I did an internship and it worked out well for me. That said, it's pretty standard in my industry. Some people seem to get really excited about clerking for all of the big firms in town.

Thank you for being normal. You're a rare bread of poster around here.

What career did you do your internship with? How long did the internship last?

I've done it before and haven't got the job. They used me for a week where I learnt new skills and when I asked about getting a job more permanent, all of a sudden I wasn't good enough as I didn't have experience.. So no, I wouldn't do it again

I've done it before and haven't got the job. They used me for a week where I learnt new skills and when I asked about getting a job more permanent, all of a sudden I wasn't good enough as I didn't have experience.. So no, I wouldn't do it again

1 week is not being realistic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waste of time I reckon. All you are doing is asking yourself to be used as slave labour to be chopped, discarded at someone else's convenience. With the economy the way it is now companies/employers will take what they can get but unless you have a demonstrable skill that can make money you are up sh&* creek. No such thing as a free lunch as they say, but that needs to cut both ways. Ultimately sell yourself for free (hate tat term but can't think of one better) and you actually end up disrespected.

See your point. In answer to your question........maybe. Big maybe thou. I don't know how relevant the skills you get will actually be and you have to prove you will get results and returns. Even then it is up to actually how you relate to people, fit in and if you are one of the cool group.

A better question is why do you want the job so much and is it an industry you can work for yourself in?

1 week is not being realistic

How is it not? I worked from 9-5pm for 6 straight days. I was doing the same jobs over and over. They could have said "dont come in", but instead it was "see you tomorrow if you're interested". When asking for feedback they said I was going ok.

You cant expect anyone to work more than a week unpaid in todays society with bills and the cost of living. Heck, you get paid when you work for the dole. The only reason why I gave it a week was because I was still living at home with my parents. What People wouldn't say no if you offered your service for free..

I'm in a similar position to this currently (not exactly the same so don't bite my head off).

I'm doing a course that has a work placement element. I got great results in my first year and was first in the class to be snapped up by an employer.

They are paying me $50 a day but that's much less than others in my course. The placement was meant to start in March but they wanted me to start in November last year, the downside is Im just the admin b1tch. I'm not getting taught any of the skills of the job. To make matters worse my classmates all seem to be in much better situations where they are having time invested into them and learning the skills of the job.

It's frustrating as some of my classmates are going past me school work and knowledge-wise.

It's also annoying that I committed to 4 days a week when the original placement was 3 days so I've got less time for assignments etc.

I'm worried I'll get to the end of the course and not know enough to be employed anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask them what their plan is to help you grow. See if they can lay out a progress plan for you. If they hem and haw, or can't provide one, or don't provide an acceptable plan, see about getting out of there.

Depends on the industry, I know the interns we hire are used solely to do seasonal work they used to keep some of them back in the 90's but now they are just used as a revolving door, we get some free labour for work that doesn't last they get show real world marketing experience.

I asked the state manager why this is and he told told flat out, If we were serious about internships we'd have to keep them on for 3-4 years, problem is when we did that, too many senior staff were shirking there responsibilities onto the interns instead of actually working.

Depends really. As I'm currently employed but studying project management, I could probably manage to do some PM work outside of work and eventually I might be required to so I can get the hours up - my fiancée is also studying animation, so an internship or pro-bono work makes sense.

On the flip-side, I'm also a team manager/team leader in a contact centre and I would not do that for one cent less than I get paid even if it was for google, apple, virgin or the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back