2000	R2	St Kilda		2	2	2
2000	R1	Fremantle		6	0	3
1999	R19	Port Adelaide		4	0	1
1999	R18	Melbourne		0	0	0
1999	R17	Western Bulldogs	3	0	3
1999	R11	Essendon		5	1	3
1999	R5	Carlton			3	1	2
1998	R22	Essendon		5	1	2

Averaged 5 kicks, 1 handball and 3 marks.

In his first and third games Lloyd kicked 6 and 5 goals.

I was worried.

Thanks Catempire, puts a little sanity back in to 'too quick to judge' argument. Having said that I just can't see 'it' in Spencer, and I recall having the opposite feeling for Scarlo in his infancy.

Oscarlett said:
Thanks Catempire, puts a little sanity back in to 'too quick to judge' argument. Having said that I just can't see 'it' in Spencer, and I recall having the opposite feeling for Scarlo in his infancy.

I know what you mean but I just refuse to judge a player this early. As I said, I was very worried that we had a dud on our hands with Scarlett. With Spencer they say too slow, with Scarlett it was to scrawny. There's just no way of telling at the moment how things will turn out for him. I just wish him all the best.

slimeball said:
Your basing this on the 4 quarters of AFL football that he has played so far. It humours me how people are willing to right him off after only one game of senior footy.

Would you like me to post Scarletts stats of his first 10 games???

Spencer is 21 years old for crying out loud! How long should we wait before he is "ready" for senior footy. There is a reason he hasnt been getting a game the last couple of years and it has showed up in his performances in the NAB Cup and last week.

catempire said:
Oscarlett, I’ll oblige…

Code:
Year	Round	Opponent		K	M	H
2000	R4	Kangaroos		8	2	7
2000	R3	Adelaide		13	3	6
2000	R2	St Kilda		2	2	2
2000	R1	Fremantle		6	0	3
1999	R19	Port Adelaide		4	0	1
1999	R18	Melbourne		0	0	0
1999	R17	Western Bulldogs	3	0	3
1999	R11	Essendon		5	1	3
1999	R5	Carlton			3	1	2
1998	R22	Essendon		5	1	2

Averaged 5 kicks, 1 handball and 3 marks.

In his first and third games Lloyd kicked 6 and 5 goals.

I was worried.

Maybe 'thehoff' can read this in regard to Spencer...

kriso182 said:
Spencer is 21 years old for crying out loud! How long should we wait before he is "ready" for senior footy. There is a reason he hasnt been getting a game the last couple of years and it has showed up in his performances in the NAB Cup and last week.

Wow, 21! He should be captaining the side by now.

Did we give up on Matty Scarlett after his first few games (and drubbings)?

comparing matty spencer to matty scarlett is stupid regardless of what scarletts stats were in his first couple of games.

nothing against spencer but he doesnt look like he has potential let alone fit enough to lace scarletts boots. he makes michael schulze look like a gazelle and great defender.

he is 21 and has only played his first game, he has been in the system long enough. even egan stole his thunder, and he only picked up the game of footyball.

darren forssman said:
comparing matty spencer to matty scarlett is stupid regardless of what scarletts stats were in his first couple of games.

nothing against spencer but he doesnt look like he has potential let alone fit enough to lace scarletts boots. he makes michael schulze look like a gazelle and great defender.

he is 21 and has only played his first game, he has been in the system long enough. even egan stole his thunder, and he only picked up the game of footyball.

Why is it stupid? The point is that people didn't think much of Scarlett in his first few games. It took 3 or 4 years for him to become a reliable defender.

Spencer has had 1 opportunity to show his ability. What is the hurry to condemn him to the scrap heap? Is everyone that impatient that they can't even wait to see him play a handful of games and have the opportunity to get some time on the ground and adjust to AFL level? Every other player to debut seems to have that benefit.

His age is irrelevant. He won the VFL best and fairest last season but wasn't given a chance at senior level. That is a reflection on the selection panel, not the player. In any event, plenty of players don't debut until their 3rd year and many go on to have fine careers.

catempire said:
Why is it stupid? The point is that people didn't think much of Scarlett in his first few games. It took 3 or 4 years for him to become a reliable defender.

Spencer has had 1 opportunity to show his ability. What is the hurry to condemn him to the scrap heap? Is everyone that impatient that they can't even wait to see him play a handful of games and have the opportunity to get some time on the ground and adjust to AFL level? Every other player to debut seems to have that benefit.

His age is irrelevant. He won the VFL best and fairest last season but wasn't given a chance at senior level. That is a reflection on the selection panel, not the player. In any event, plenty of players don't debut until their 3rd year and many go on to have fine careers.

Ignore DF, I find it rather funny and ironic he labelled someone else's post stupid.

I agree with your Spencer thoughts...

chapmanmagic35 said:
Maybe 'thehoff' can read this in regard to Spencer...

I'm reading it and noting that in Round 3, 2003, Scarlo had 13 kicks. Spencer does not even get 13 kicks in the VFL. Highly doubt that he will play more than 10 games or achieve equal to or more than 13 kicks in a game of AFL footy.

thehoff said:
I'm reading it and noting that in Round 3, 2003, Scarlo had 13 kicks. Spencer does not even get 13 kicks in the VFL. Highly doubt that he will play more than 10 games or achieve equal to or more than 13 kicks in a game of AFL footy.

Think what you like mate....Fact is he is going to play more AFL games than you have or ever will. And VFL for that matter.

What I don't get though Hoff is how you quoted 2 weeks back that you were being serious when you said he would be a leader of the club in the future and that you are a big fan of Spencer. yarda yarda.

Seems to me like you are just full of hot air mate!!!

thehoff said:

That was Scarlett's 5th year at the club!

I'm glad you're willing to give Spanner a couple more to prove his worth!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

slimeball said:
Think what you like mate....Fact is he is going to play more AFL games than you have or ever will. And VFL for that matter.

What I don't get though Hoff is how you quoted 2 weeks back that you were being serious when you said he would be a leader of the club in the future and that you are a big fan of Spencer. yarda yarda.

Seems to me like you are just full of hot air mate!!!

I have atleast played VFL pal. What have you played?

The sarcasm was evident in those posts. If you could not detect that, you are stupider that first thought.

catempire said:
That was Scarlett's 5th year at the club!

I'm glad you're willing to give Spanner a couple more to prove his worth!

I'm not sure on this, but is Spencer in his 3 or 4th year at the club? I am assuming 3rd.

Give him one more and then show him the door unless he improves.

darren forssman said:

Funny you say that Darren because thats what people said about Scarlo when he first started his career!

thehoff said:
I have atleast played VFL pal. What have you played?

The sarcasm was evident in those posts. If you could not detect that, you are stupider that first thought.

Of course it was quite obvious you weren't serious but a word of advice, when you say "I am serious" you forfeit all right to be sarcastic.

thehoff said:
I'm not sure on this, but is Spencer in his 3 or 4th year at the club? I am assuming 3rd.

Selected by Geelong with 42nd pick in 2003 national draft.

Bookmark the thread now. You have given him one more year. I take it you'll be quiet on the matter from now on.

thehoff said:

Get The Hoff on the selection panel quick smart!!!

This guy knows his footy

thehoff said:
I have atleast played VFL pal.

Really mate!!!

I would beleive you but I'm not quite to sure if your being sarcastic or not.

Oh well I guess we will never know :)

slimeball said:
Funny you say that Darren because thats what people said about Scarlo when he first started his career!

People compared Matty Scarlett to Matty Scarlett when he first started out? Wow, i wonder who they thought was better.

catempire said:
Bookmark the thread now. You have given him one more year. I take it you'll be quiet on the matter from now on.

No chance i will be quiet. I still think the guy is a hack and this is an opinionative site, therefore i will provide my opinion!

thehoff said:
No chance i will be quiet. I still think the guy is a hack and this is an opinionative site, therefore i will provide my opinion!

Well, does he deserve one more year or not? You just said he does and if you genuinely believe that you should wait to see his performances over the next year before you kick him to the curb.

catempire said:
Well, does he deserve one more year or not? You just said he does and if you genuinely believe that you should wait to see his performances over the next year before you kick him to the curb.

I don't believe he deserves another year. In my opinion it's very evident that he does not have what it takes, however i believe the club will give him one more year and then kick him to the kurb.

I also recall SeniorSpanner47 stating he was constracted until the end of next year. Is this true?

I think its becoming more than opinion.It seem's to be a passion to put him down at every opportunity. "Hack" he may be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back