Official trade week thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

There is articles today saying that the Dogs have registered interest in both Luke Power and Nick Stevens as well as Peter Street.
There are several other players the Dogs have spoken to. It looks like we will make some trades this year

Mal Micheal looks like he could be leaving the Lions. If only we could get him

Originally posted by OldSchool
Mal Micheal looks like he could be leaving the Lions. If only we could get him

You would think he would be a priority recruiting target. Imagine him holding down FB for the next 5-6 years.

Steven? I wonder why. Surely it would only be in a pre-season draft scenario. Would we really want to trade for him?

Originally posted by The Doctor
You would think he would be a priority recruiting target. Imagine him holding down FB for the next 5-6 years.

Steven? I wonder why. Surely it would only be in a pre-season draft scenario. Would we really want to trade for him?
As I said to you before Stevens is a fantastic player and would improve our side but outside running midielders are a dime a dozen at the doggies.Would prefer to pay that sort of amount to someone who will fix some of our problems.Michael you could build your backline around!

Originally posted by localyokel
We nearly did a few years ago.

You would have to think that if by some miracle we did land him that he and Grant would be an awesome backline.
Where would that leave Croft and Harris ?
Perhaps Croft as the FF and Harris as the 3rd defensive tall

You would have to think that if by some miracle we did land him that he and Grant would be an awesome backline.
Where would that leave Croft and Harris ?
Perhaps Croft as the FF and Harris as the 3rd defensive tall

When you think about you can really set up the whole side from Full Back if you have a player as good as Micaheal coming in.

Michael and Harris would take the top 2 forwards. Grant could play as a loose man or even on the 3rd tall which would really free him up to create and set up play or double team with other defenders. Hargrave similarly. The options become mind boggling.

If Street comes in then we have Darcy and Bandy as prime targets and we could use young Walsh as a 3rd tall target or K-Mac.

Croftywould be free to come off the bench for impact or as a gorilla up forward when Darcy is in the ruck.

Doc, Surely the plan must be to use Peter Street for 10 minutes each Q and either give Darcy the occasional spell on the bench or more likely to move him forward as a marking option although his history would say that he is not a strong mark up forward.
Do you think Peter Street's lack of mobility would be found out on the clinical docklands stadium ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doc, Surely the plan must be to use Peter Street for 10 minutes each Q and either give Darcy the occasional spell on the bench or more likely to move him forward as a marking option although his history would say that he is not a strong mark up forward.
Do you think Peter Street's lack of mobility would be found out on the clinical docklands stadium ?
Has to be a concern when you already have Darcy,Bandy and Skipper in the side.I think Darcy is not a strong mark in the jumping over packs and sitting on blokes heads sort of style but one on one he is more than a 50/50 bet each time IMO.Just pushes people aside like there nothing

Yep, didn't make myself clear. Darcy still number 1 ruck with Street relieving. There could be games where Street could go in as 1st ruck against opponents Darcy might struggle with. This would allow Darcy to go forward.

Just haven't seen enough of Street to know whether he could be a viable forward target. I would doubt it but at least he would take a key defender away. We could therefore bench Street and play Crofty up forward. At least we have options in this scenario.

Does Street have the footy smarts? When on the ball would he know where to position himself. This is where Wynd was such a master positional ruckman. He knew when to be back and when to come up. That can counter for lack of mobility to some degree.

Darcy, Bandy, Croft, McGuiness, Skipper all being mentioned as forwards is a worry. We don't want to have a tall forward line. That would be hell. A crumbing Nathan Brown like player would be ideal. Or a Simon Garlick type player (in his form 3-4 years ago) wouldn't go astray.

If we have Grant, Croft, Hargrave and Harris at backmen, Murphy will be wasted down back. He would have to play in the midfield. Then where would this leave players like Alvey, Gilbee or McMahon?

I haven't heard anything about Gilbee or McMahon (I assume they still haven't signed a contract with the Bulldogs). I definitely say that we try and trade them. If we can somehow conjure up a deal to get Power or Stevens, we would be greatly benefited.

Our midfield would then be fine. West, Johnson, Hahn, Stevens/Power. Then, if Faulkner steps up, we’ll be laughing.

Our lack of good forwards in my only concern now. I think Rohde will give Grant some game time up forward, but we really need Walsh to step up. I wouldn’t mind getting a Daniel Bradshaw type player.

It seems as though we’re in a similar dilemma to Port Adelaide, with its three big men (Primus, Brogan, Lade). I can’t see Darcy, Bandy and Street all on the field together.

Anyway, instead of speculating what might happen, I am just going to sit back and watch it all unfold.

From the Sunday Hun:

Dean Cox is offlimits

With Solomon going (cap ease) , Bolton and Jacobs are close to being resigned (essendon smokescreen?)

Shane Morrison (193 forward from the Brians) is LEAVING

Rawlings, Brown and Solomon destination is no way settled.

Pies confirm interest in Gilbs (only doggies player yet linked with another club)

I totally agree with you X BOX X.The forward line with all those talls would not be good for the team.We go from extra short this year to extra tall.I for one doesn't think that Skipper is ready.He needs to bulk up a bit as he easily gets pushed around by the big backs from the opposition.

If we could get (and I very much doubt it), Michael from Bris, I would still play Grant at CHB and I think no one in our team reads the play better than him, and his skill level would certainly set the runners like Smith and Murphy set up the play further down the field.I would start Bandy at CHF, hoping he can turn on his form from 02.

If Michael was at FB, then our major problem would be kicking goals no doubt.

Our midfiels with Johnson, West, Hahn, Faulkner and hopefully Cooney would be awesome.

Players like Gilbee, McMahon and Cross have to go, as we have an abundance of these type of players. (thanks Terry)!!!!

FB and FF are our MAJOR concerns and if we could fill those gaps with great players from other sides it would be an absolute bonus.

So this poses a question for us all...if we could only select ONE of
Michael, Bradshaw or Power, who would you go for????

AFL Games: 4

AFL Goals: 0

AFL Finals: 0

2003 Games: 1

2003 Goals: 0

2003 FORM
Was selected in three of the four senior pre-season practice matches, where he worked tirelessly predominantly across half-forward. Continued his good form at the reserves level, booting six goals in the Round 1 curtain-raiser against Redland and being prominent the following week against Morningside, where his strong marking was a feature. Called into the side to replace the injured Jonathan Brown in Round 3, he collected seven possessions in limited time and set up Michael Voss for several scoring opportunities.

CAREER HISTORY
Shane Morrison is a tall key position player who broke through for his first taste of senior football in 2002 in his third year on the senior list.

He enjoyed his first injury free summer and was rewarded with two Wizard Cup games, albeit receiving limited ground time. He carried on his outstanding reserves form from 2001 through the early part of the season and flew to Perth as an emergency for Mal Michael in Round 5. He then flew home at midnight and was a standout against Mayne the next day, then finally was a late inclusion in the seniors against Geelong in Round 6. He played most of the second half in defence against the Cats and did little wrong.

Played his second game again off the bench in Round 9 against Freo, before being squeezed out the following week. Quieter for a couple of weeks after that. Good against Mayne and the Northern Eagles in Rounds 14 and 16, he was unstoppable at centre-half-forward at Redland in Round 18 and earned a senior recall with the suspension of Jonathan Brown and Alastair Lynch in Round 19. Collected one kick and four handballs in a little more than the final quarter against the Bulldogs, but made way for Brown the following week and took a heavy knock that slowed him against Southport in Round 20.

Moved back to defence for the elimination final and was solid as a rock. Went forward for the first semi and worked himself into the ground at half-forward as his side’s second best player, and was outstanding against in the preliminary final loss to Southport.

It was all a step forward for Morrison, who was easily the best full-back in the AFLQ state league in 2001. He might have been given an opportunity in 2001 but for the great versatility of Alastair Lynch and the presence of experienced veteran Matthew Kennedy, who has now retired.

Morrison endured a frustrating start to his second year, suffering a posterior cruciate ligament injury when he crashed into the fence at Southport in the Reserves' first practice match of the year and missed seven weeks. He then a minor medial ligament strain on the weekend of the AFL 'bye', when only he and Shannon Rusca played in the Reserves, and missed two matches. But thereafter he was a real standout at fullback to guarantee his spot for 2002. Invariably he picked up the better of the local competition's 'name' full forwards, namely McKay, O'Brien and Smith, and was rewarded with a spot in the emergencies for the Round 21 clash with Geelong. Was a key member of the Reserves' AFLQ finals campaign, which culminated in a sensational come-from-behind win over Southport in the grand final.

Morrison made a solid start to the season in the Lions Reserves in 2000, but was set back by a broken leg mid-season that put him out of action for a month. He received the break when he and former Lions rookie list member Clint Alleway, playing for Mt Gravatt, slid into each other on their knees contesting a disputed ball. However, he finished the last few games strongly in a good pointer to 2001.

The highlight of his 2000 came at the very unseasonal time of January, when the Lions played Sydney in tropical Cairns in the opening round of the Ansett Cup. Having spent the bulk of his teenage years living in the far north capital, Morrison was devastated when he was made an emergency for the trip, but that turned to delight when midfielder Simon Black withdrew because of injury. He ultimately started on the ground in front of many friends in a record crowd and played solidly out of a back pocket to give the locals plenty to cheer about.

Morrison refined his diet over the 2001 summer and moved closer to the Gabba in an effort to give himself every chance of succeeding. The son of former South Melbourne and Queensland star Peter Morrison, he stepped into the Lions under the father/son rule from the ranks of QSFL club Northern Eagles after he began his senior career in Cairns as a 15-year-old.

Born in Melbourne but a Queenslander from the age of one, he is a former All-Australian junior selection. And, because his father played a lot of football in Queensland after his AFL career with South Melbourne, he was afforded the luxury of following his AFL dream in his adopted home state without having to take his chances via the draft. He chose the Lions over the Swans, who also had a father/son claim on the strongly-built teenager.

Peter Morrison, a prolific midfielder/half forward from Sale, was zoned to Footscray. He played one senior game with the Bulldogs in ’74 and was a member of the Reserves grand final side beaten by Fitzroy. After an end-of-season knee reconstruction he found himself on the ’75 Supplementary List so he left. Still eligible for the U19s, he knocked on the Swans door and was a senior regular from 1976-81. He played in the finals in 1977, when he was runner-up to Brownlow Medallist Graham Teasdale in the South B&F, and he represented Victoria in 1978.

He was within striking distance of his AFL century at the end of ’81 when South Melbourne moved to Sydney. It was the beginning of the end after he joined Bernie Evans, Kevin Goss and Paul Morwood in boycotting a player strike. Then, having broken his leg in ‘81 and feeling he was on the outer, he retired from League football at 25 and moved to Queensland.

He was 1982-84 captain-coach at QSFL club Wilston-Grange, where in ’83 Scott McIvor made his senior debut. Later, he played for Grange for a further two and a half years, finishing second to Zane Taylor in the League’s Grogan Medal in ’85, before switching to Mayne in mid-1987.

A State team regular, he invariably saved his best for the Maroons playing alongside among others ex-Fitzroy pair Kevin O’Keeffe and Terry O’Neill, plus Mick Nolan, McIvor, Jason Dunstall and Michael Gibson, and local legend Don Smith, after whom the Lions ‘Most Professional Player’ award is named. He coached Beenleigh in the SQAFA (second division) for three years before a three-year stint back at Mayne which began in the U19s and ended as assistant-coach to Phil Harper, now Adelaide Crows player welfare manager.

A physical education teacher now posted in Brisbane from Bribie Island, Morrison lived in Cairns from 1994-97 and coached three different clubs in four years to the finals.

Shane Morrison, the middle of five children, was a State representative at U12, U15, U16 and U18 level. At 15 he made his senior debut in Cairns, playing alongside his father, and in July ’98 he toured Ireland with an AFL/AIS U17 squad that included new Lions teammates Des Headland and Damian Cupido after an All-Australian performance at the ’97 U16 championships in Darwin.

He played a handful of QSFL games with the Northern Eagles in ’98 while completing Year 12 at Sandgate High, which he chose after returning from Cairns because it offered an Excellence Program in Australian Football.

In ’99, Morrison was deputy vice-captain of the Queensland side that won the Division Two title at the U18 carnival in Brisbane and was a senior Eagles regular until a broken cheekbone in the first of the finals ended his campaign.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
Queensland U12s 1993, Queensland U15s 1995-96, Queensland U16s 1996-97, Queensland U18s 1998-99 (Deputy Vice-Captain 1999), 3rd Queensland U18 B&F 1998, All-Australian U16 1997, AFL/AIS U17 Tour to Ireland 1998, Reserves Premiership 2001.

Is this one of the most interesting seasons for trading in a while?

Seems highly probable that Stevens, Brown, Rawlings, Solomon and one or two of Power, Michael & Bradshaw will all find new homes, and at this point in time no-one knows where.

With this sort of talent floating around, surely it's even more important to get a hot draft pick for Brown.

And with the cap biting so many clubs, the pre-season draft could be very interesting too.

Only certainty is that there will be a few surprises - and if we play our cards right we could have a surprising list next season.

Originally posted by stefoid
Pies confirm interest in Gilbs (only doggies player yet linked with another club)

Already thinking of Nathan Brown as someone elses?

Stevens and Power would make for an unbelievably strong midfield. If they manage that, i'd be quite happy. Street and Jacobs look very good things to be ours, so if you throw in say Kent Kingsley we will have addressed our kp needs as well.

Defenders: Hargrave, Grant, Harris, Jacobs

Forwards: Bandy, Bowden, Kingsley, K-Mac, Darcy in spurts

Gap fillers: Skipper, Croft, Harrison

Think it makes us sound up forward and down back, whilst giving us a midfield that would be devastating. Ofcourse i think getting Power and Stevens is beyond us, but this is the fun time of year when you can imagine your team recruiting in a way that makes them good. :)

Street, with Rohde's sparing use of the i/c, having him used in short bursts off the bench would be realistic, as he always has at least one guy that gets less than 20mins game time anyway, so its viable. Still wouldn't recruit him unless he is seen as a geniune future possibility as a no. 1 ruck.

Kingsley: Second in league goalkicking a season a go, over two a game in what was a shocking year for him this season. When you see guys like Harro and Croft (even Wiggins once!!!!) do reasonably well as a big ff option in our team, i think a guy like Kingsley would be great with us. Would probably prefer Bradshaw but KK will come cheaper.

As if your mob were looking to actually trade for Stevens. Crikey, it'd be cold day in hell first. Much more likely that you're showing interest to undercut Carlton's `We'll take you in the preseason' offer so they don't get a big leg up.

Originally posted by The Doctor
Yep, didn't make myself clear. Darcy still number 1 ruck with Street relieving. There could be games where Street could go in as 1st ruck against opponents Darcy might struggle with. This would allow Darcy to go forward.
The one thing that indicates to me that we only really want someone to give Darcy a spell in the ruck is the fact that we have just committed to him for 4 years and given him a very good pay rise yet if we were to get a quality ruck option there is a chance that Darcy might spend a lot of time forward where his history there indicates that he is not a noted mark or goal kicker.
Whilst he needs a back-up, Darcy himself needs to get back to his 2002 form if we are to make some progress in 2004.
Not sure if Street is the player for us because we really need someone to play a more physical style than I have seen him display. 10 mins a Q seem about right and as you pointed out he might get some more time if we are playing a team that Darcy struggles against.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back