Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Right, so here's a little guessing game for everyone...

Where would O'Meara and Martin have done in the national draft if they hadn't been taken by the SUNS in the mini-draft? I realise that due to their age they were ineligible, and their skills would have improved if they had an extra year to play and train for the next draft, so let's assume their skills and attributes remained the same for this hypothetical ND.

Would they have gone top 10? Top 20? Shoot!

(let's try and keep this from being a pissing contest, please)

No brainer. Both number one in their respective drafts.

They were recognised as the best talents in their drafts at the time hence why we chased them.

Great to hear Eade state that the club would not rush back O'Meara until he is ready. He is too important for the long term success of GCS to be playing when he is injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither of them would've gone top ten.

Both are all hype and haven't lived up to it at all.
OP not sure what type of responses you were expecting. Trying to add some variety and resist the temptation to join in on the circle jerk haha

So your just being stupid for the sake of not joining the crowd/general consensus? Your an odd dude. Undoubtedly would've both gone pick one so this thread is almost pointless.

So your just being stupid for the sake of not joining the crowd/general consensus? Your an odd dude. Undoubtedly would've both gone pick one so this thread is almost pointless.
I was being facetious, but personality and tone is clearly lost on a plain text forum.

Of course they'd bloody go number one, which was my point, which is your point, which is why I don't understand the motives behind the OP other than to juice over them. Or invite trolls.

O'Meara should be #1 in his draft (bit biased), but you have the likes of Brad Crouch (crows), Chad Wingard (port), Will-Hoskin Elliott (GWS), Brandon Ellis (tigers), and Brad Hill (hawks) in that draft, too. After looking at that draft, I can't believe that Lachie Neale (dockers) went for pick #58. Bargain.

I would honestly pick Joe Daniher (ignoring father-son rule) or Ollie Wines ahead of Martin, though. That's mostly hindsight talking... Martin shows some freaky skills in patches, though...

Both pick 1. You guys at Gold Coast have so many great young West Australian boys.

O'Meara clearly number 1 (although Whitfield, Crouch and Wines aren't slouches) EXCEPT if Joe Daniher wasn't a father son. Daniher was a freak prospect as well and would've been hard to split. For the sake of the hypothetical if you are putting O'Meara back in to a free draft then you may as well put Daniher in as well right?

The same goes with the next year and Martin v Boyd and Hogan. I'm biased with Hogan, but I can see most non biased fans making a stronger case for Martin than I would. But when you look at what the dogs gave up for Boyd it's hard to say definitively that Martin would've gone ahead of Boyd.

The saints picking McCartin over Petracca is another indication of the value of key forwards. McCartin is a fair way off Boyd and whilst there's also a fair gap between Petracca and Martin they both were excellent juniors who can do great things as midfielder/forwards.

Really it would've come down to which club and what years. GWS probably would've taken one of each in talls and smalls. If they went with O'Meara the first year I think they would go Boyd or Hogan over Martin. And vice versa with Daniher and then choosing Martin. If the dogs, saints or Melb split the picks then maybe the key forwards go number 1 each year.

I say both go number 1! Both were clearly the best in their draft class when we took them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back