On the 8th day of xmas

Remove this Banner Ad

On the 8th day of Christmas, my Blue love gave to me the #8 Guernsey in Carlton history ....

Ratts and Johnston dominating ....
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/on-the-7th-day-of-xmas.1082341/
Chitty, Crane and Simmo striving ....
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/on-the-6th-day-of-xmas.1082256/
The Vet and Juddy balding ....
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/on-the-5th-day-of-xmas.1082212/
Sticks and Buzza scoring ....
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/on-the-4th-day-of-xmas.1082142/
Murph and Fitzy leading ...
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/on-the-3rd-day-of-xmas.1082091/
Big Nick and Diesel starring ....
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/on-the-2nd-day-of-xmas.1082059/
and a champion father son dynasty
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/on-the-1st-day-of-xmas.1081957/

Share your memories, photos, videos of players who have worn the #8 Guernsey for the Carlton Football Club.

Trevor Keogh for mine. 2 time premiership player, 2 time best and fairest, Blues team of the century, Victoria representative.

Quick on baller, hit the scoreboard regularly, not a long kick but a good kick.

Hit Collingwood's Ohlsen who was dominating the 1979 GF and the Blues turned around a 28 point deficit to win the flag after that point.

Aah, Ross Ditchburn.

Trevor Keogh for mine. 2 time premiership player, 2 time best and fairest, Blues team of the century, Victoria representative.

Quick on baller, hit the scoreboard regularly, not a long kick but a good kick.

Hit Collingwood's Ohlsen who was dominating the 1979 GF and the Blues turned around a 28 point deficit to win the flag after that point.

Trevor Keogh for me as well! :thumbsu:

Liked Ditchburn a fair bit as a youngster, it was the first time I'd seen us play with a bona fide traditional leading full forward. I don't know how old he was then but I always thought he looked kinda old for a new kid!
Was it just 82 and 83 he was with us?
Was disappointed when he got knocked out in the 82 granny.

Whitnall, Keogh and Blackwell for me.

Watched all of Lance's career and thought he was a super player. Keogh was brilliant and Blackwell was also a tremendous competitor.

Special mention also to Troy Bond, a supremely gifted footballer whose career at the Blues did not end well but his best was sublime.

If I was to chose one it would be Keogh....who could forget him rearranging Russell Ohlsen's jaw against Collingwood!!

Whitnall, Keogh and Blackwell for me.

Watched all of Lance's career and thought he was a super player. Keogh was brilliant and Blackwell was also a tremendous competitor.

Special mention also to Troy Bond, a supremely gifted footballer whose career at the Blues did not end well but his best was sublime.

If I was to chose one it would be Keogh....who could forget him rearranging Russell Ohlsen's jaw against Collingwood!!

:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Kruezer over time has me feel like he is stand out number 8 we had. However he has a long way to go.

Whitnall was pretty handy key forward. Had his moments and downs times but overall good player that probably never reached his heights because of body issues.

Wayne Blackwell was fairly handy winger in his time but not a champion.

I did not see Trevor Keogh live as he had finished up by time I started going to football but he was in the team the first couple of years I followed our team via radio and tv. He was actually one of my favourites players for us in the time so have a soft spot for him. The players that played with him spoke well of him and they were gun players themselves that won 79 flags so he gets my vote as best no. 8 for us in 70's to now era.

I look forward to Kruezer creating a legacy for this guernsey number in years to come.

oh, forgot about Ditchburn. Played a good year in 1982. From memory he only played with us one or two seasons. Was a mature aged player and farmer from WA. I have a feeling the family business of farming had him pack up his footy career a bit early. I suspect living in a city a long way from where he grew up was not for him so being part of a premiership was somewhat of a dream realized although knocked out in grand final so probably does not remember it. I think some Richmond defender tripped over and accidently kicked him in the head. So his day was over early. Can't recall if he played in 83 season at all. I remember him averaging 4 or 5 goals a game during the brief time he played. It was hard to get used to as a Carlton fan as I was used to us being a side that did not have one guy designated full forward. We would play anyone there from Peter McConville to Hunter in those years we had running goals be a more typical mode of winning.

Probably our best full forward behind Fevola in last three decades.

Lance at his best was such a complete player for us. A great career, even if it ended prematurely. Such a shame that his last years at the club were kind of wasted due to the state the club was in.

Blackwell deserves a mention for good service during the '80s.

But Trevor Keogh as a dual Premiership player and twice B&F during a great era for the club - when there would have been stiff competition for the B&F - takes the honours for mine.
If you're going to be reported only once in your career, it might as well be for belting a Collingwood player in a GF! :D

Controversial HBF but if the kid gets his body right he could own this number at the end of his career.

For now though he is nowhere near Whitnall or Keogh.

Love Kreuzer.
Of course I would have Whitnall ahead of him as i'm not old enough to remember Keogh play and don't recall seeing the best of Blackwell.
Just wanted to put his name out there.

Unashamed fan of the current big number 8.

Love Kreuzer.
Of course I would have Whitnall ahead of him as i'm not old enough to remember Keogh play and don't recall seeing the best of Blackwell.
Just wanted to put his name out there.

Unashamed fan of the current big number 8.

Agreed.

I really want to see Kreuzer get a run at it injury free. I reckon he could be an absolute beast and a real handful if this happens. He is still plenty young and has many years ahead of him. Really hope the big unit can announce himself in 2015 and ******* smash in at the centre bounces and intimidate some of those midfield groups!!

Best career I have seen in #8 has been Big Red.

What he achieved as a 19/20yo KPF was amazing. If not for injuries and the game outpacing him, he would have been a great CHF. Shame how it ended so suddenly. As many mentioned, my best single memory is the late goal in 99 PF. "It starts right, it swings back, WHAT A GOAL!"

Best talent I have seen in #8 for blues is The Tractor. Sad to think how good he might have been if not for injuries. He never dominated, but the signs and highlights he showed were well beyond what you would expect to see from a teenager 1st choice ruckman. Shame that he only got 2.5 seasons in before being losing all continuity in his footy. The kind of thing I love is that he was averaging like 5 tackles a game before he did his knee. Only Carrots avgd more than that in 2014.

Some of my fave highlights of Krooz.

Best game I have seen him play. And only his 2nd game back from knee reco.

His rising star nom. What a last quarter!

One of my fave specific memories is very early in his career, of him winning the centre ruck contest, running forward, receiving and kicking the goal from 50 metres. I have a feeling this was on debut against the Ess* (I was there) but can't find any video footage. This is not the one, but close enough

One last memory (which is fading right now) is of Krooz winning a contest in the backline, Carlton going coast to coast, then 10 seconds later the ball is on our HFF and somehow Krooz is there to receive the ball and kick the goal. No way a ruckman should be able to cover that much ground. It was a great team goal (maybe involving Hammer and Murph?). I think it was against Brissy and video used to be on Youtube, but I can't find it.

I just want to finish by saying that I love the fact that he never gives up, he runs and chases, tackles, makes 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts and 1%ers. He's just as likely to be at the bottom of a pack as he is being a kick behind play (possibly more likely).

I still hold out hope that he can reach his true potential. He's been through hell. But I have faith in his character and that he will do everything possible to succeed. And that's why I wear the #8 on my jumper.

One of my fave specific memories is very early in his career, of him winning the centre ruck contest, running forward, receiving and kicking the goal from 50 metres. I have a feeling this was on debut against the Ess* (I was there) but can't find any video footage. This is not the one, but close enough

Not the one I got on the end of in the 2009 elimination final is it?

Thanks once again to TG/RK/J2Y for immortalising the moment.

Not the one I got on the end of in the 2009 elimination final is it?

Thanks once again to TG/RK/J2Y for immortalising the moment.

Pretty sure I just watched the same goal 15 times in a row.....all with Aaron Joseph staring at me!! :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back