FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Says it wasn't important enough to him, then describes footy as passion, love? Seemed to make a lot of excuses for himself.

Sounded like he was freely admitting his faults - didn't care enough and didn't work hard enough.

Gotta love the "it's 3 quarter time, I've kicked 5, that'll do me, I think I'll shut up shop" line....lol! Who doe's he think is gonna buy that BS!

Kink seemed like he was making half of it up.

I don't think anything he said was particularly unbelievable or outlandish TBH.

Sounded like he was freely admitting his faults - didn't care enough and didn't work hard enough.

I don't think anything he said was particularly unbelievable or outlandish TBH.
You should re-watch the interview, totally contradicted himself a number of times. Instead of admitting to not being up to playing 4 quarters of football he would rather people believe that he could have if he wanted to but he didn't feel like it. Footy wasn't that important to him but he still holds grudges against Sheedy 30 years later?
Not a lot of that interview made much sense to be honest.

What did Kink say about Sheedy? I missed it
Sheedy didn't speak to him, Sheedy didn't give him due respect, Sheedy had his favourites, basically the hard working less talented players and that Essendon dumped Kink without offering any explanation.

I thought it was a fascinating interview, open and passionate, but as others have said Kink was contradictory. Tended to find fault with others, but kept saying "that's just the way I am" with regard to his seeming indifference to football when he was playing.
Amongst other things he felt other Collingwood players should have been (and some were) ashamed of their performances on the big stage.

I've seen other talented sports people give very similar interviews.
Nominally accepting blame, but in essence finding fault with others, whilst claiming excuses for their shortcomings. Often the main excuse, as with Kink, is it didn't matter that much to them, but why then the anger when they feel others didn't perform?

Surely something happened to Kink at the dons for him to be dumped like that. Strange interview.

There must have been some sort of row or bust-up with someone there. You'd assume it would have been Sheedy himself given the sudden nature of Kink's exit, but he was apparently a "weak man" who didn't communicate, and he then went on the end of season trip with the players, so he couldn't have been too out of favour with the playing group either.

I suppose without getting Sheedy's side of the story (and he'd probably cagily evade the question in typical Sheedy fashion), we'll never really know.

There must have been some sort of row or bust-up with someone there. You'd assume it would have been Sheedy himself given the sudden nature of Kink's exit, but he was apparently a "weak man" who didn't communicate, and he then went on the end of season trip with the players, so he couldn't have been too out of favour with the playing group either.

I suppose without getting Sheedy's side of the story (and he'd probably cagily evade the question in typical Sheedy fashion), we'll never really know.
KB asked Sheedy about it the other day, I missed what Sheedy said though. The interview might be on their site.

Sheeds isn't really the type to publicly throw people under buses, so if there was something there he wouldn't say so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did kink not get picked for the 85 grand final? Might have been that. He unloaded though, I thought he went over the top.

Going by this, he played Rounds 13-19 that year, and then didn't get picked again after that.

Having a further look there, he played just 181 of a possible 340 games (including finals) between 1973 and 1986 with Collingwood, Essendon and St Kilda, and could have played in 8 Grand Finals (instead of "just" 6), and was done before he was 30. Also kicked 4 or more goals on 18 occassions. Seems like he peaked at about 22-23 years old (1979, averaged 17 disposals per game, took 154 marks and kicked 54 goals, held goalless just once in 25 games, and finished equal 7th in the Brownlow), and what should have been his prime years (1981-1985, just 50 games) were largely injury-riddled, inconsistent garbage. Pretty amazing stuff really.

and also worth noting, kink played his first game against the tigers, it was a pelim final and he was 16 years old, cant remember that bit being on. played well too.
Going by this, he played Rounds 13-19 that year, and then didn't get picked again after that.

Having a further look there, he played just 181 of a possible 340 games (including finals) between 1973 and 1986 with Collingwood, Essendon and St Kilda, and could have played in 8 Grand Finals (instead of "just" 6), and was done before he was 30. Also kicked 4 or more goals on 18 occassions. Seems like he peaked at about 22-23 years old (1979, averaged 17 disposals per game, took 154 marks and kicked 54 goals, held goalless just once in 25 games, and finished equal 7th in the Brownlow), and what should have been his prime years (1981-1985, just 50 games) were largely injury-riddled, inconsistent garbage. Pretty amazing stuff really.

Wow, Kink's a complete tosser.

I love how he talks about how he never put in 100%, and then he gets the shits at Sheeds for picking his "favourites"... you know, the guys who put in 100%.

Maybe that's why you were told to f**k off Rene?

Seems like an absolute tosser, and certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Christ, you'd think he is Gary Ablett the way he carried on about himself.

"Too good" my arse, sounds like hides behind the fact he wasn't as good as he thought he was (assumption, too young to have ever seen him play), still what a pillock!

Interested on tugga's thoughts.

Christ, you'd think he is Gary Ablett the way he carried on about himself.

"Too good" my arse, sounds like hides behind the fact he wasn't as good as he thought he was (assumption, too young to have ever seen him play), still what a pillock!

Interested on tugga's thoughts.
Average player. Capable of bursts of brilliance, but was never more than a good ordinary player. I agree. He came across as a knob.

Average player. Capable of bursts of brilliance, but was never more than a good ordinary player. I agree. He came across as a knob.
I couldn't work out why he kept pushing and pushing the fact he was the best, but just didn't care and then responded with he did care, he just didn't...

Don't think there is much between the ears...

I couldn't work out why he kept pushing and pushing the fact he was the best, but just didn't care and then responded with he did care, he just didn't...

Don't think there is much between the ears...
He probably thought he was better than he was because Lou Richards gave him a nickname.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back