Review Opening Round = GWS 114-82 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously Kirby, do you really want to argue this?

Playing an interstate team I round 1 is BS.

Particularly coming off a flag and being used to promote their brand.

In this era of equalisation, winning the flag is something to be punished, not rewarded.

Last edited:
I don't think AJ should be anywhere on the ground for a long spell. He has failed repeatedly in pressure games and simply looks fragile in the contest. Reef may not be the answer but he has a red hot go.
Quick to have the knives out for AJ but no mention of Cox’s shocker, Domey?

A lot of our senior players played absolute stinkers.

Pendlebury and Mitchell were witches hats in the first half, ditto Cox and Johnson.

Maynard and Moore didn’t really provide much.

De Goey just played a weird game, tried to do too much and was fumbly.

Schultz and Elliot did very little and missed crucial shots at goal.

Sidebottom Quaynor Daicos kept us in it

Last edited:
When all is said and done we actually created more scoring shots than GWS. We kick straight we win the match. Our inaccuracy in the end didn’t come back to bite us in the GF but it did tonight, as they say bad kicking is bad football.

This might open the door for the likes of Macrae and McInnes who have been continually putting their hands up all summer to get their shot.

He was given a baptism of fire. The Giants were pumped up and red hot and our defense was already missing two of our best defenders. He deserves another chance to settle into his role.
For the most part Dean was well beaten, but there was an odd sign in between where as able to nullify a one on one.

One of the big things we lacked was Howe and Murphy’s ability to peel off and cover Moore playing a more offensive role. I think that really threw out our defensive structure. With Maynard playing a tight role on Greene for a lot of the night he wasn’t able to assist either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similarly compare gws with our performance against the cats in R1 last year. Both us and the giants were coming off 1 point prelim loss and looked like they wanted to take steps to avenging that
So, having lived through a similar scenario, our experience should have prepared us to withstand the challenge.

AJ has a ready made replacement in McInnes. We don’t have any competent 1st ruckman who can come in.

I thought Darcy Cameron was poor too, Cox was good in the ruck though.
Darcy Cameron was a lot more effective than Cox. I can think of plenty of others I'd have ahead of Cameron as worst for the night. Cox was hopeless.

So, having lived through a similar scenario, our experience should have prepared us to withstand the challenge.
Potentially, but maybe if we didn’t have the preseason reduced by a week we would have been better prepared too.

Hard not to admire and be envious of teams who have genuine full forwards who know how to get separation, lead at the ball carrier, mark it and convert.

All night our tall forwards were practically stationary, forcing us to bomb it in and pray for an unlikely pack mark. It was exactly what GWS’s excellent defenders wanted and we kept doing it.

Cox and Johnson both deserve to be dropped on that performance. Jamie Eliot has been in a slump for ages too. When was the last time he kicked 3 or more in a game?

Our best leading forward is Jeremy Howe. We should seriously consider moving him forward for the tail end of his career.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That was just awful!
I got slammed for saying Johnson is a spud and lazy two years ago and here we are still putting up with it! He is the reason we lost Henry in my opinion.
Shultz looks a step behind, he was terrible too, Cameron was good but how he doesn’t stop Hogan marking the exit kick cost us as it allows them to chain up.
We just looked in pre-season mode still, the skills were way off but what is really disappointing was we were not ready for the pressure and we crumbled.
Something will have to be done about Darcy one on one, boy do we need Murphy back because Moore is a liability one on one.

Next week back on the G there will be no excuses, this one blew out the cobwebs and I’m expecting a million times better next week.

Hard not to admire and be envious of teams who have genuine full forwards who know how to get separation, lead at the ball carrier, mark it and convert.

All night our tall forwards were practically stationary, forcing us to bomb it in and pray for an unlikely pack mark. It was exactly what GWS’s excellent defenders wanted and we kept doing it.

Cox and Johnson both deserve to be dropped on that performance. Jamie Eliot has been in a slump for ages too. When was the last time he kicked 3 or more in a game?

Our best leading forward is Jeremy Howe. We should seriously consider moving him forward for the tail end of his career.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Johnson is a terrible league footballer.

AJ has a ready made replacement in McInnes. We don’t have any competent 1st ruckman who can come in.

I thought Darcy Cameron was poor too, Cox was good in the ruck though.
Cameron had 20 disposals, 30 hit outs and 2 goals.

Cox had 5 disposals and 19 hit outs.
No goals

That was just awful!
I got slammed for saying Johnson is a spud and lazy two years ago and here we are still putting up with it! He is the reason we lost Henry in my opinion.
Shultz looks a step behind, he was terrible too, Cameron was good but how he doesn’t stop Hogan marking the exit kick cost us as it allows them to chain up.
We just looked in pre-season mode still, the skills were way off but what is really disappointing was we were not ready for the pressure and we crumbled.
Something will have to be done about Darcy one on one, boy do we need Murphy back because Moore is a liability one on one.

Next week back on the G there will be no excuses, this one blew out the cobwebs and I’m expecting a million times better next week.
Will Murphy come back? What is the sticking point? Will he wake up one morning and suddenly feel he is ready to put his head back in the hole when his turn comes? I think the fact he is so unsure is a sign it may not be happening. I just don't understand what it is that will make him decide he is ready.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back