Coach Operation Get Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

Some people are just satisfied in having the opportunity for a day or night out at the football with their family or friends with a slightly better than 50 per cent chance of their team having a victory to cap off the experience. This is the only downside to the move to Adelaide Oval - it has delivered the club a bunch of theatre goers.

These people are necessary though, realistically no club is going to have 50k hardcore nutjobs demanding success.

I guess the problem for us is that our board and management fit into the category of being happy with a slightly better than 50% chance of winning so our actual football programme is run with that philosophy.

The only genuine comparison between Hardwick and Clarkson is they are both hard nosed coaches who have had a lot of success, but for all that Dimma does have some qualities that even oppo supporters can find likeable, and taking into account his on field toughness as a player for both Port and Essendon I'm not aware of him ever being a behind the play cheap shot merchant.

Not so sure you could use `likeable' to describe the other bloke though, regardless of whether he is guilty or innocent of the racism accusations.

Re any future coaching situations, I hope the Powers that be at our club have been smart enough to have a succession plan in place and Josh Carr will take over `publicly' as Port coach at the end of this season, and I suspect as others have already stated the AFL will throw megabucks at Hardwick to get him to take on Gold Coast.

Likeable by whose standards? Clarkson is liked by his players which is all that matters. The supporters would have liked the Premierships.

Coaching at Gold Coast is a poisoned chalice.

I can’t see Hardwick wanting his legacy to end with that shithole of a club.

For me coaching a primed list, in a premiership window, with a club he won a flag at, makes much more sense

But as someone mentioned before, if Koch doesn’t give him a call to come here in some capacity then he’s a bigger campaigner than I’d given him credit for

Have things not changed this year? Not saying the cup is ours this year, but you're fapping over a guy you would have crucified and cancelled your membership over 3+ years before he achieved anything.
The thing is we could have sacked Ken in the same time frame.

We held onto Ken, just like Richmond held on to Hardwick. To see if he could go the next step.

Hardwick went on to win 3 x flags.

In the same time frame Ken failed to make a grand final.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

These people are necessary though, realistically no club is going to have 50k hardcore nutjobs demanding success.

I guess the problem for us is that our board and management fit into the category of being happy with a slightly better than 50% chance of winning so our actual football programme is run with that philosophy.
Yep 36k theatre goers rocking up most weeks, enough to allow is to pay down debt, make our community proud with carbon neutral policies etc. would have our board feeling all like they can walk on water.

Yep 36k theatre goers rocking up most weeks, enough to allow is to pay down debt, make our community proud with carbon neutral policies etc. would have our board feeling all like they can walk on water.

It's the disruption you have when you don't want to be disruptive.

I've become fond of the idea of starting fresh with Carr, but if Dimma is keen on the Port gig then we'd be stupid not to. I don't think he'd take the role if he didn't have it in him, he was honest enough to walk away from the Tiges instead of cruising through the rest of his contract or waiting round till he was sacked and getting a pay out. If he states his intentions with us, then there's definitely hunger left in him.

Hardwick did a fair bit of soul searching at that time, some study overseas & a change in his approach.

I'm not sure Kenny "Wouldn't change a thing" Hinkley would look that deep.
Hardwick talked about his change in the pre 2017 GF presser and has also talked about it lots of times since that GF win.

In the 2017 GF game day thread, after the Tigers victory, I quoted the story from SBS News website and said he had done a Mandela. For anyone interested this is a couple of things from that post.

Hardwick from his presser

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick knew he needed to change ......... "The reality was, I was the biggest problem of all," Hardwick later reflected. "That was the hardest self-reflection to come up with but it was certainly the truest one."...........

Mandela from his 2000 talk in Sydney a week or two before the Olympics in 2000.

"One of the most difficult things is not so much to change society, but to change ourselves. Only when you can overcome the difficulty of changing yourself can you change the people around you."..........

I don't think coaching from the bench qualifies as changing oneself. Its a start, but its not that much.

Clarko stepping away has nothing at all to do with North not being enough for him.
ya think he would have stepped down if he was coaching Collingwood? Nah sorry he would have had something to strive for, none of that at Norf

I do get what you are saying though, his issues are bigger than the game, but my view is if the game gave him something positive to focus on, he may have done just that. Sad situation really, it should never have got to this point, a talented coach has been lost, lets not hope permanantly.

I've become fond of the idea of starting fresh with Carr, but if Dimma is keen on the Port gig then we'd be stupid not to. I don't think he'd take the role if he didn't have it in him, he was honest enough to walk away from the Tiges instead of cruising through the rest of his contract or waiting round till he was sacked and getting a pay out. If he states his intentions with us, then there's definitely hunger left in him.
He needs to be offered an oversight role - Neil Balme type of role mentoring Josh Carr and other coaches, sorting out footy ops, recruitment, list management, being a leader without the focus and total responsibility, no media focus, might work for him and us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"and possibly beyond" sounds way more ominous than its literal meaning.

Like, he might go to Vegas as well?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back