Orlando Magic Supporter Clan - Dunk contest winners not welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys, first time poster! Would be great to have some discussion on a consistent basis, keep my days intersting in the office.

Been watching most games on NBA TV, been a Magic follower for as long as I can remember ( pre Shaq days, think Scott Skiles). Really excited about our roster, love the offensive developing of Dipo, the more I watch him the more I see Westbrook V.2!

Vucs been a sensation, his down point was his inability to guard athletic bigs in the post but man has that improved. Love how he's hitting the 10-15 face ups as well, starting to be a dynamic weapon. I get the feeling the GM isn't to concerned about TH, wouldn't be surprised if we went against paying him his 14 mill and invested in Aaron Gordon which to me is fretting with danger. Gordon's size is my concern, the fact he is no threat as a spot up shooter and has very little low post games means he has years of development to go before really being the contributor we want. Like Payton's development, such a good passer and a pest defensively, he's never gonna be a shooter so the best we can hope for is a Rondo type guy ( which is brilliant). Not sure long term how the pairing of Dipo and Payton will work, all depends in what they want from Dipo long term.

Sad to see the Harkles situation, gone from a huge talent and one of the leagues best athletes to absolutely zilch.

If we can keep Dipo/Harris and Vuc together and add some solid pieces through the draft id be happy.

Any of you like any guys in the draft that can help us? If we end up with a pick between 3-6 I'd love for us to draft Myles Turner from Texas. The dude is 6ft11, weighs 250 and bangs 3 like a SG. Solid defender and has a low post game to boot, the prototype PF for today's game. If we fluked the no1 we take Okafor though and should look to trade, the guy has tremendous value and we could use the asset in so many ways.

Peace

Ive actually been really impressed with Gordons shooting so far. Of course its a really small sample size, but hes looked really comfortable if he can get his feet set.

Did groan when I saw Aaron Gordon starting at Small Forward the last couple of games. Not so much about Tobias Harris being benched, but just that you can forsee it working out as Gordon turning into Michael Beasley or Derrick Williams, an athletic Power Forward who everyone insists on playing on the wing, despite not having the required skillset to do so. I know he doesn't have a particularly good post game yet, either, but he's not a 3, and he's never going to be.

Really want to see the Magic run with this rotation as much as possible, just to see how it pans out:

C - Nikola Vucevic
PF - Aaron Gordon
SF - Tobias Harris
SG - Victor Oladipo
PG - Elfrid Payton
-----
C - Kyle O'Quinn
PF - Channing Frye
SF - Maurice Harkless
SG - Evan Fournier
PG - Luke Ridnour
C - Dewayne Dedmon
PF - Andrew Nicholson
SF - Devyn Marble
-----
SG - Willie Green
SG - Ben Gordon

Guys, first time poster! Would be great to have some discussion on a consistent basis, keep my days intersting in the office.

Been watching most games on NBA TV, been a Magic follower for as long as I can remember ( pre Shaq days, think Scott Skiles). Really excited about our roster, love the offensive developing of Dipo, the more I watch him the more I see Westbrook V.2!
Dipo has been great as of late offensively. Vuc and Dipo flourishing with Harris going to the bench.

Vucs been a sensation, his down point was his inability to guard athletic bigs in the post but man has that improved. Love how he's hitting the 10-15 face ups as well, starting to be a dynamic weapon. I get the feeling the GM isn't to concerned about TH, wouldn't be surprised if we went against paying him his 14 mill and invested in Aaron Gordon which to me is fretting with danger. Gordon's size is my concern, the fact he is no threat as a spot up shooter and has very little low post games means he has years of development to go before really being the contributor we want. Like Payton's development, such a good passer and a pest defensively, he's never gonna be a shooter so the best we can hope for is a Rondo type guy ( which is brilliant). Not sure long term how the pairing of Dipo and Payton will work, all depends in what they want from Dipo long term.
I can see us letting Harris walk at this point for some reason. We have ample depth in the forward positions and with the upcoming draft loaded with bigs I wouldn't be surprised if we snagged one of 'em.

Sad to see the Harkles situation, gone from a huge talent and one of the leagues best athletes to absolutely zilch.
Couldn't agree more. He's one of my favourite Magic players but he's in the doghouse now which saddens me. One of our more athletic wings with bucketloads of potential yet it seems the confidence isn't there from the coaches. :(

If we can keep Dipo/Harris and Vuc together and add some solid pieces through the draft id be happy.

Any of you like any guys in the draft that can help us? If we end up with a pick between 3-6 I'd love for us to draft Myles Turner from Texas. The dude is 6ft11, weighs 250 and bangs 3 like a SG. Solid defender and has a low post game to boot, the prototype PF for today's game. If we fluked the no1 we take Okafor though and should look to trade, the guy has tremendous value and we could use the asset in so many ways.

Peace
We could do so many things on draft day if we land in the top 5. Package that pick + someone like Harris for a borderline-star or pick a guy like Winslow or Johnson. Plenty of water to go under the bridge.
Did groan when I saw Aaron Gordon starting at Small Forward the last couple of games. Not so much about Tobias Harris being benched, but just that you can forsee it working out as Gordon turning into Michael Beasley or Derrick Williams, an athletic Power Forward who everyone insists on playing on the wing, despite not having the required skillset to do so. I know he doesn't have a particularly good post game yet, either, but he's not a 3, and he's never going to be.

Really want to see the Magic run with this rotation as much as possible, just to see how it pans out:

C - Nikola Vucevic
PF - Aaron Gordon
SF - Tobias Harris
SG - Victor Oladipo
PG - Elfrid Payton
-----
C - Kyle O'Quinn
PF - Channing Frye
SF - Maurice Harkless
SG - Evan Fournier
PG - Luke Ridnour
C - Dewayne Dedmon
PF - Andrew Nicholson
SF - Devyn Marble
-----
SG - Willie Green
SG - Ben Gordon
I don't see the same parallels between SuperCoolBeas and Williams with Gordon. The previous two are low level IQ players who can't play a lick of defense nor can they play efficiently as SF or PFs. Gordon I see as a guy who doesn't need many touches and can play either forward position and defend above averagely. If anything I'd like to see a line-up of

C: Vuc
PF: O'Quinn
SF: Gordon
SG: Dipo
PG: Payton
---
6th: Harris
7th: Frye

Just read a big write up on TH, saying that he is privately pushing his case to get to Madison square. One thing is for sure, if Vaughn keeps him on the bench then he will force his way to NY.

Where there smoke there's fire and we all know the history of Orlando and losing our young stars.

Aaron Gordon can go 1 of 2 ways, he either develops into Blake Griffin type who can pick and pop as well as get to the rim or..... He's the next Derrick Williams who despite all his talent never develops further than a bit part player with no position on the court.

I don't see the same parallels between SuperCoolBeas and Williams with Gordon. The previous two are low level IQ players who can't play a lick of defense nor can they play efficiently as SF or PFs. Gordon I see as a guy who doesn't need many touches and can play either forward position and defend above averagely. If anything I'd like to see a line-up of

---

Yeah, that's how you see him, but IMO forcing him into a role that he's not suited for could turn him into that type of player and ruin him.

Dipo has been great as of late offensively. Vuc and Dipo flourishing with Harris going to the bench.

I can see us letting Harris walk at this point for some reason. We have ample depth in the forward positions and with the upcoming draft loaded with bigs I wouldn't be surprised if we snagged one of 'em.

Couldn't agree more. He's one of my favourite Magic players but he's in the doghouse now which saddens me. One of our more athletic wings with bucketloads of potential yet it seems the confidence isn't there from the coaches. :(

We could do so many things on draft day if we land in the top 5. Package that pick + someone like Harris for a borderline-star or pick a guy like Winslow or Johnson. Plenty of water to go under the bridge.

---

Love your post.. But oh man I cringe when I see O'Quinn start, he would have to have the worst hands in the league, how many times does he fumble balls or turns it over when passing out of the post?

What Gordon has on his side is ALREADY elite NBA defence, if he simply develops some offensive punch he'll be a player. Already we've seen him able to hit from beyond the arc, his actual mechanics aren't to bad just needs to consistently be a threat.

Would love him to be our lock down Guy we send to the Davis/Aldridge guys we always struggle to guard, size is the issue and he has little reach which sucks to. If he keeps his athleticism as he builds his body we could have a 13-10-2 guy

Just read a big write up on TH, saying that he is privately pushing his case to get to Madison square. One thing is for sure, if Vaughn keeps him on the bench then he will force his way to NY.

Where there smoke there's fire and we all know the history of Orlando and losing our young stars.

Aaron Gordon can go 1 of 2 ways, he either develops into Blake Griffin type who can pick and pop as well as get to the rim or..... He's the next Derrick Williams who despite all his talent never develops further than a bit part player with no position on the court.
Tobias has apparently said he'd like to win a title with the Knicks, whether that's true or not I don't know. I don't think Vaughn won't keep him on the bench much longer , he missed a few with injury do I think it's just working him slowly until all star break and give Gordon more time to have a run at the same time.

On Gordon I think he'll be a far better player (already is defensively) than Williams has ever been but it's a good comparison.

Get the feeling Tobias is on the outer... Still playing from the bench, shooting like a spud and has that body language that screams 'I'm outta here'. Another poor performance today, our D is all but shot, we don't have any rhythm offensively until the game is dead and all Vaughn does is sit there like a little pansy with his legs crossed. I was not the biggest SVG fan, he has poor man management skills at times but gee you could at least tell the guy was invested and passionate, the more I watch Vaughn the more annoying he becomes.

Will he have a job next season? If you really look at our roster, we are a playoff team in the East yet we look like a ball club that has no identity at all. One week we are a defensive orientated team that plays physical, the next week we are run and gun team that plays on the wings. It's frustrating.

Get the feeling Tobias is on the outer... Still playing from the bench, shooting like a spud and has that body language that screams 'I'm outta here'. Another poor performance today, our D is all but shot, we don't have any rhythm offensively until the game is dead and all Vaughn does is sit there like a little pansy with his legs crossed. I was not the biggest SVG fan, he has poor man management skills at times but gee you could at least tell the guy was invested and passionate, the more I watch Vaughn the more annoying he becomes.

Will he have a job next season? If you really look at our roster, we are a playoff team in the East yet we look like a ball club that has no identity at all. One week we are a defensive orientated team that plays physical, the next week we are run and gun team that plays on the wings. It's frustrating.
JV will be sacked soon. I can feel it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Scott Skiles gets named I'll vomit.. Who is out of a job? Mark Jackson was quite successfull at GSW and the players loved him, I find him a likeable guy who has good man management skills and plays attractive ball. Wouldn't be worthwhile to interview him at least?

It really struck me when I saw the 0.269 winning percentage in the time Jacque was coach. Even Philly who haven't tried to win for two seasons comfortably have us covered.

Three assistant coaches gone too.

Hopefully this mess can be sorted out fast.
Four sackings... Let's hope our search for a new coach proves to be successful.

I'm happy for us to hold off signing a decent coach till the end of the season. Wait and see who is available as the season goes on. Marc Jackson and George Karl are looking like the best options so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back