Moved Thread OT Post dumping ground….

Remove this Banner Ad

That's amazing Fred, I've not ever heard of a post office being named after someone.

Speaking of Yvonne DeCarlo, it was her 96th birthday yesterday, + she was the only child of William Middleton, a New Zealand salesman of English descent. It turned out that her father was some sort of scammer, also a bigamist, who fled to Canada by schooner + although promising to send for Yvonne + her mother, was never heard of again.

yvonne-de-carlo-colour.jpg

Happy Birthday to Yvonne DeCarlo, who was so much more than Lily Munster
yvonne-decarlo-9542333-1-402.jpg
Wow, she certainly was a stunner. Would not have picked that from Lily.

They were both epic shows! Loved them both!

So now my other shows beginning with my favourites:

Green Acres
Top Cat
Dr Kildare
Mr Ed
Astro Boy
Kimba, the White Lion
Get Smart
Beverly Hillbillies
Bewitched
The Monkeys
Petticoat Junction
The Flying Nun
Batman
The Jetsons
Man from UNCLE
Lost in Space
The Saint
Noddy
Thunderbirds
Star Trek
Dr Who
Skippy
Casper
The Avengers
The Flintstones
Brady Bunch
The Lone Ranger
Sea Hunt
Danger Man
Bulwinkle Show
Lassie
The Virginian
Mr Magoo
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Romper Room
Snagglepuss
Family Affair
Homicide
My Three Sons
Wagon Train
My Favorite Martian
Dick Tracy
The Ghost & Mrs Muir
Land of the Giants
Gidget
Tarzan
Superman
The Forsyte Saga
Mr Squiggle
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Adam-12
Carol Burnett Show
The Baron
Benny Hill
Lucille Ball Show + I Love Lucy
Mission Impossible
Wild Wild West
Bonanza
Daniel Boone
Marcus Welby MC
Ironside
That Girl
Love American Style
Dad's Army
We shared the same upbringing
But what about these 2 K9 beauties, as good as Lassie, imho.
The Littlest Hobo
and

And
The Red Skelton Show
My Three Sons
Leave It To Beaver

Showing my seniority

Last edited:
I never actually saw the Addams family show but both the movies. Actually the same thing with Beverly hillbillies as well originally but eventually saw some of the episodes while at home during uni years.
Just cannot give ^^^ a like!

By 'movies' do you mean re-makes of the TV Shows?

If yes, the movie re-makes of the TV Shows were appalling! Neither Addams Family + Beverly Hillbillies movies came close to the original TV Shows.

TBH, it's no up to me, a sprightly Baby Boomer, but a very young Baby Boomer, to criticise other generation's taste in TV Shows or Movies. Every generation has 'popular' movies, which define a decade/generation. It's just that the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s + 70s broke into entirely new areas of film + TV. Since then, IMO, there were very few TV Shows or Movies that surpassed those previous eras. There were some, but again. . .there were very few TV Shows or Movies that surpassed previous eras.

Talking of TV Shows/Films/Netflix/AppleTV +++
Who was the idiot who said LG OLED TVs are crap? FMD!!! They know SFA. . .the LG OLED TV is ******* sensational! The picture quality, the colour, the ******* every-*******-thing is utterly sensational! Massive improvement! Now the old TV is in the bedroom + I just cannot watch it, soooooooooo poor, compared to the LG OLED. Geez some people who thing they know everything, actually know SFA! Unless they're colour blind, or just plain blind, without any taste.

We shared the same upbringing
But what about these 2 K9 beauties, as good as Lassie, imho.
The Littlest Hobo
and

And
The Red Skelton Show
My Three Sons
Leave It To Beaver

Showing my seniority

Have to agree on ALL of those, except while The Red Skelton Show was not high on my favourites, my parents watched it, so there were bits I found amusing.

I did forget Rin Tin Tin, which was a fave, I'm thankful you reminded me!

But The Littlest Hobo, made me so sad, even with the happy endings, I just couldn't stand that he was alone.

To be quite frank Vdubs, I'm actually surprised by your, "Showing my seniority".

I thought, from your posts, you were quite a bit younger. . .so. . .I'd have to say, (which might annoy your kids) you're hip to be cool!

Have to agree on ALL of those, except while The Red Skelton Show was not high on my favourites, my parents watched it, so there were bits I found amusing.

I did forget Rin Tin Tin, which was a fave, I'm thankful you reminded me!

But The Littlest Hobo, made me so sad, even with the happy endings, I just couldn't stand that he was alone.

To be quite frank Vdubs, I'm actually surprised by your, "Showing my seniority".

I thought, from your posts, you were quite a bit younger. . .so. . .I'd have to say, (which might annoy your kids) you're hip to be cool!
I share an exact birthday with a former #15 player at Geelong.
Red Skelton was not always funny, agreed. Klem Kadiddlehopper was memorable.

I share an exact birthday with a former #15 player at Geelong.
Red Skelton was not always funny, agreed. Klem Kadiddlehopper was memorable.

Cap # Player DOB HT WT Games (W-D-L) Goals Seasons Debut Last
907 15 Riccardi, Peter 1972-12-17 183cm 92kg 288 (159-3-126) 286 1992-2006 19y 117d 33y 239d
77 15 Eason, Bill 1881-12-15 178cm 79kg 220 (83-4-133) 187 1902-1915 20y 139d 33y 249d
684 15 Farman, Terry 1946-01-04 183cm 78kg 133 (71-1-61) 9 1965-1973 19y 159d 27y 240d
292 15 Stevenson, Edward 1901-04-11 166cm 57kg 105 (61-0-44) 30 1922-1929 21y 46d 28y 142d
604 15 Rice, Colin 1938-07-16 170cm 71kg 97 (45-4-48) 87 1957-1963 18y 320d 25y 81d
811 15 Toohey, Bernard 1963-02-18 188cm 85kg 94 (47-0-47) 35 1981-1985 18y 66d 22y 194d
412 15 Mahon, Geoff 1915-04-24 183cm 94kg 82 (46-0-36) 35 1936-1940, 1946 21y 50d 31y 80d
361 15 Walker, Jack 1909-08-28 180cm 82kg 76 (46-2-28) 3 1930-1935 20y 276d 26y 10d
759 15 Cassidy, Jeff 1956-09-27 183cm 83kg 50 (25-0-25) 20 1974-1980 17y 268d 23y 338d
457 15 Munday, Jim 1917-11-01 188cm 96kg 44 (6-0-38) 26 1944-1946 26y 187d 28y 282d
1008 15 Gamble, Ryan 1987-09-23 184cm 83kg 24 (18-0-6) 31 2006, 2008-2010 18y 345d 22y 275d
531 15 Tuckwell, Jim 1927-07-23 185cm 89kg 22 (13-1-8) 1949-1952 21y 323d 25y 24d
566 15 Roberts, Jim 1931-11-19 180cm 72kg 21 (13-0-8) 3 1953-1956 21y 220d 24y 182d
265 15 Clemenger, John 1891-08-06 173cm 68kg 20 (6-0-14) 16 1919-1921 27y 319d 30y 42d
445 15 Grove, Ron 1919-06-05 185cm 86kg 10 (2-0-8) 3 1941 22y 2d 22y 72d
518 15 Trewin, Max 1927-01-02 183cm 83kg 6 (3-0-3) 2 1948 21y 113d 21y 169d
1036 15 Schroder, Jordan 1992-12-05 182cm 85kg 5 (4-0-1) 3 2012-2013 19y 180d 20y 178

Either Riccardi (most likely) or Toohey, except you're too young to be Toohey, has to be Riccardi

The Addams family was SO good that even now, I can recall every single character and their idiosyncrasies.
Lost in Space was another classic- infuriating, but compelling.

And what about

All three are fantastic!

I had such a crush on Maj Don West! *swoon*
92142271d0f3d767e63658c7ff4a117c.jpg

OK Vdubs, who is this with Morticia?
Morticia Feeding Cleopatra.gif

Get Smart was such a clever show, loved watching it with my Dad. The A Team was another fave of ours

Just cannot give ^^^ a like!

By 'movies' do you mean re-makes of the TV Shows?

If yes, the movie re-makes of the TV Shows were appalling! Neither Addams Family + Beverly Hillbillies movies came close to the original TV Shows.

TBH, it's no up to me, a sprightly Baby Boomer, but a very young Baby Boomer, to criticise other generation's taste in TV Shows or Movies. Every generation has 'popular' movies, which define a decade/generation. It's just that the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s + 70s broke into entirely new areas of film + TV. Since then, IMO, there were very few TV Shows or Movies that surpassed those previous eras. There were some, but again. . .there were very few TV Shows or Movies that surpassed previous eras.

Talking of TV Shows/Films/Netflix/AppleTV +++
Who was the idiot who said LG OLED TVs are crap? FMD!!! They know SFA. . .the LG OLED TV is ******* sensational! The picture quality, the colour, the ******* every-*******-thing is utterly sensational! Massive improvement! Now the old TV is in the bedroom + I just cannot watch it, soooooooooo poor, compared to the LG OLED. Geez some people who thing they know everything, actually know SFA! Unless they're colour blind, or just plain blind, without any taste.

very much agree with this, very few post 1980 tv shows showed real originality especially in the writing. I missed most of the 90s being overseas pre-cable, but caught up on Simpsons, Seinfeld, West Wing, etc. Aaron Sorkin is definitely an elite writer.
What I find fascinating is that so many of what I would call pure Americana tv programming made it over to Aus. I mean Get Smart (reruns were required viewing in early 70s for early teen me). A reference to F-Troop somewhere on this board completely cracked me up. The Odd Couple, Taxi(Ignatowski playing piano is probably my alltime favorite tv moment), early MASH, and Barney Miller were also favorites of the time.
But then sometime in the later 70s ESPN was born. And since they didn't have the cash for mainstream US sports, they showed this weird-ass game from 'stralia. I was hooked almost instantly and was crushed when they discontinued it.

very much agree with this, very few post 1980 tv shows showed real originality especially in the writing. I missed most of the 90s being overseas pre-cable, but caught up on Simpsons, Seinfeld, West Wing, etc. Aaron Sorkin is definitely an elite writer.
What I find fascinating is that so many of what I would call pure Americana tv programming made it over to Aus. I mean Get Smart (reruns were required viewing in early 70s for early teen me). A reference to F-Troop somewhere on this board completely cracked me up. The Odd Couple, Taxi(Ignatowski playing piano is probably my alltime favorite tv moment), early MASH, and Barney Miller were also favorites of the time.
But then sometime in the later 70s ESPN was born. And since they didn't have the cash for mainstream US sports, they showed this weird-ass game from 'stralia. I was hooked almost instantly and was crushed when they discontinued it.

Agree with all you said.

My aunty lived in the US + loved watching Aussie Rules. Like my Mum, she was a Swans supporter. In the 90s you could speak to her for three hours, which cost $5.00. Neither Mum nor Aunty were good sleepers, so they'd talk. Often watched games together chatting over the phone.

Spearman, we're about the same vintage!

I do enjoy Will & Grace, very well written + Karen Walker is me! But I have to be quite tame online ;) well, on BF.

Spearman, I don't remember Taxi, just Goggled it + looks fantastic. Great cast. How did I miss it?

Agree with all you said.

My aunty lived in the US + loved watching Aussie Rules. Like my Mum, she was a Swans supporter. In the 90s you could speak to her for three hours, which cost $5.00. Neither Mum nor Aunty were good sleepers, so they'd talk. Often watched games together chatting over the phone.

Spearman, we're about the same vintage!

I do enjoy Will & Grace, very well written + Karen Walker is me! But I have to be quite tame online ;) well, on BF.

Spearman, I don't remember Taxi, just Goggled it + looks fantastic. Great cast. How did I miss it?
sounds like a binge coming on :) that cast, just so full of talent, and the classic characters they created - Iggy, Latka, Louie.
I think the Ignatowsky piano thing might be found on FB, seriously the funniest thing ever from a thousand funny bit with that character.

sounds like a binge coming on :) that cast, just so full of talent, and the classic characters they created - Iggy, Latka, Louie.
I think the Ignatowsky piano thing might be found on FB, seriously the funniest thing ever from a thousand funny bit with that character.
Louie is played by Danny De Vito? He'd be wonderful! Sounds like a great character.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watch Ignatowsky playing the piano - "I must've learned music" - hilarious!

All three are fantastic!

I had such a crush on Maj Don West! *swoon*
92142271d0f3d767e63658c7ff4a117c.jpg

OK Vdubs, who is this with Morticia?
View attachment 553610

Get Smart was such a clever show, loved watching it with my Dad. The A Team was another fave of ours

I'll take Judy then.

CLEOPATRA.
Interesting that Sat pm I watched 6 episodes of an old HBO box set of ROME

I'll take Judy then.

CLEOPATRA.
Interesting that Sat pm I watched 6 episodes of an old HBO box set of ROME

Yes! You should have Judy, very beautiful!

Very good! All the characters in The Addams Family were so original, very clever + hilarious.

Was that Rome with:
Polly Walker as Atia of the Julii
Ciarán Hinds as Julius Caesar
James Purefoy as Mark Antony
Lindsay Duncan as Servilia of the Junii
Atia_insert_2.jpg

That was a terrific series.

Another Series I love to re-watch is The Forsyte Saga with:
Soames Forsyte - Damian Lewis
Irene Forsyte (née Heron) - Gina McKee

I even remember the 1960s TV Series. I used to sit on Dad's lap, while he had Cognac + a Cigar, I'd dip my fingers into his Cognac + have a puff of his Cigar lol

BTW - wonderful news - On Thursday, it's three months since I stopped smoking lol

Yes! You should have Judy, very beautiful!

Very good! All the characters in The Addams Family were so original, very clever + hilarious.

Was that Rome with:
Polly Walker as Atia of the Julii
Ciarán Hinds as Julius Caesar
James Purefoy as Mark Antony
Lindsay Duncan as Servilia of the Junii
Atia_insert_2.jpg

That was a terrific series.

Another Series I love to re-watch is The Forsyte Saga with:
Soames Forsyte - Damian Lewis
Irene Forsyte (née Heron) - Gina McKee

I even remember the 1960s TV Series. I used to sit on Dad's lap, while he had Cognac + a Cigar, I'd dip my fingers into his Cognac + have a puff of his Cigar lol

BTW - wonderful news - On Thursday, it's three months since I stopped smoking lol
That is great news Kitty- the smoking cessation.
ThatRome- first time I'd seen it.
Was very graphic for its day.
My 7 favourite series of all time are
3. Capital City
4. Knots Landing

That is great news Kitty- the smoking cessation.
ThatRome- first time I'd seen it.
Was very graphic for its day.
My 7 favourite series of all time are
3. Capital City
4. Knots Landing

Thank you, yes, I think I'm nearly a non-smoker lol

Rome was a British-American-Italian production. Rome was an unprecedented show for HBO! It was the first time that HBO shot a period drama overseas, which featured elaborate, sumptuous sets + costumes that brought the atmosphere of the ancient city to vivid life on screen! So the British + Italian efforts probably explain the unflinching portrayal of sex, violence + sexual violence. Rome became the precursor for HBO's Game of Thrones. There are many parallels between Rome + Game of Thrones. Both shows manifest intrigue, murder + betrayal, yet no character is guaranteed to survive. GoT's Daenerys Targaryen is Rome's Cleopatra. Joffrey Baratheon is as cruel as the brutally calculating Gaius Octavian. Catelyn Stark + Cersei Lannister have their Roman counterparts in Atia of the Julii + Servilia of the Junii!

Do you watch Game of Thrones Vdubs?

I'm with you on:
Six Feet Under
Carnivàle
Knots Landing
Dallas
Dexter

No, don't know Capital City, looks great, the type of show I'd enjoy.

Ah! Breaking Bad *sigh* Adored the first Season, then stopped watching it. I think my Mum had decided she want to die then, so all my time was spent with her, organising carers, arranging morning + afternoon teas, lunches + dinners with friends. She was supposed to have a six week farewell, because she stopped eating + refused her tablets. But for nine months, she survived on Champagne, then the last two months on Lager.

Vdubs we are kindred souls of TV lol

Spearman + Geelong_Sicko + Seeds - which of the above shows have you enjoyed? + would you nominate other great TV shows?

I'm not usually into crime shows, but a U.S series called The Wire was absolutely incredible. 5 seasons worth of goodness about crime and poverty in Baltimore, Maryland - it showed all the levels involved. Cops, crims, politicians, the education system, everything.

Dexter I liked the first 4 seasons. I watched it till the bitter end of course, but if they ended it on four people would STILL be talking about it. Great example of a series overstaying its welcome in my opinion.

Funnily enough I've never even seen a single episode of Game of Thrones, nor read the books. Everyone keeps berating me for that so I'll cave. Eventually.

I started re-watching The X Files, right from season one. One episode a night before bed, with the lights off. Still a bloody good series.

Ash vs Evil Dead won't be for everyone, but man I loved it. Gore-laden chainsaw shenannigans abound. It only lasted 3 seasons but bloody hell, it went out BLAZING. It went out the way Dexter should have gone out, on a high but still with plenty left in the tank.

Thank you, yes, I think I'm nearly a non-smoker lol

Rome was a British-American-Italian production. Rome was an unprecedented show for HBO! It was the first time that HBO shot a period drama overseas, which featured elaborate, sumptuous sets + costumes that brought the atmosphere of the ancient city to vivid life on screen! So the British + Italian efforts probably explain the unflinching portrayal of sex, violence + sexual violence. Rome became the precursor for HBO's Game of Thrones. There are many parallels between Rome + Game of Thrones. Both shows manifest intrigue, murder + betrayal, yet no character is guaranteed to survive. GoT's Daenerys Targaryen is Rome's Cleopatra. Joffrey Baratheon is as cruel as the brutally calculating Gaius Octavian. Catelyn Stark + Cersei Lannister have their Roman counterparts in Atia of the Julii + Servilia of the Junii!

Do you watch Game of Thrones Vdubs?

I'm with you on:
Six Feet Under
Carnivàle
Knots Landing
Dallas
Dexter

No, don't know Capital City, looks great, the type of show I'd enjoy.

Ah! Breaking Bad *sigh* Adored the first Season, then stopped watching it. I think my Mum had decided she want to die then, so all my time was spent with her, organising carers, arranging morning + afternoon teas, lunches + dinners with friends. She was supposed to have a six week farewell, because she stopped eating + refused her tablets. But for nine months, she survived on Champagne, then the last two months on Lager.

Vdubs we are kindred souls of TV lol

Spearman + Geelong_Sicko + Seeds - which of the above shows have you enjoyed? + would you nominate other great TV shows?
Sad to hear about your mum. Hits home.
Have not seen G O T
C C was excellent; my wife was hooked, 2 seasons only I think.
There were quite a few really good British series in the 80's-90's. Cardiac Arrest was a beauty
A VERY PECULIAR PRACTICE was even better.

Last edited:
Sad to hear about your mum. Hits home.
Have not seen G O T
C C was excellent; my wife was hooked, 2 seasons only I think.
There were quite a few really good British series in the 80's-90's. Cardiac Arrest was a beauty
A VERY PECULIAR PRACTICE was even better.
It still is sad about my Mum, except it was quite beautiful + very peaceful, for her, at the time. Now, when I look back, there are things I'd do differently. Still, it was a very happy time for Mum, who felt so loved by everyone + she loved them visiting her. Despite being so ill + close to death, Mum was a genius with her mobile phone. She'd ring family + friends, being unaware of the time + demand they'd visit. One darling friend, whose wife was out, arrived at 5pm with his two babies, bathed them in Mum's bathroom + she rallied to have both little ones sitting on her lap as she fed them dinner. Then she announced to their father to open a bottle of Champagne + a Beer for him, because she was having a lovely night. The babies fell asleep on her lap. Dinner arrived, which she refused + made him eat.
Many, many happy memories. Although Mum was in excruciating pain, the wonder + devotion of her family + friends made her very content. A very stoic, brave woman.

You must watch GoT, while some find it difficult in the beginning, you have the intelligence + the salt to persevere. Many fail to make it through. I was like a sponge, because Rome was so wonderful, but GoTs takes it to another level! More complex. Unknown, because we all studied Ancient History. Still, it takes us to another time, with much more action.

Will look at Capital City + I think I, like her, will enjoy it.

Cardiac Arrest was another terrific show.

Don't know A Very Peculiar Practice.

How about LA Law?

The Practice?

We've agreed on Dallas, but what about Dynasty?

Also, way, way back to 1976 IIRC, Rich Man, Poor Man with Peter Strauss? Epic!

I'm not usually into crime shows, but a U.S series called The Wire was absolutely incredible. 5 seasons worth of goodness about crime and poverty in Baltimore, Maryland - it showed all the levels involved. Cops, crims, politicians, the education system, everything.

Dexter I liked the first 4 seasons. I watched it till the bitter end of course, but if they ended it on four people would STILL be talking about it. Great example of a series overstaying its welcome in my opinion.

Funnily enough I've never even seen a single episode of Game of Thrones, nor read the books. Everyone keeps berating me for that so I'll cave. Eventually.

I started re-watching The X Files, right from season one. One episode a night before bed, with the lights off. Still a bloody good series.

Ash vs Evil Dead won't be for everyone, but man I loved it. Gore-laden chainsaw shenannigans abound. It only lasted 3 seasons but bloody hell, it went out BLAZING. It went out the way Dexter should have gone out, on a high but still with plenty left in the tank.
YES!!!!! The Wire was probably the most epic series of the 2000s! So complex, but exhilarating + then so depressing! An excellent choice Sicko.

Loved Dexter, was hooked! Very entertaining + gripping, yet you kept wondering when he'd get caught.

The X Files Shows were another phenomenal series! The movie was fantastic + the revival, I also loved. Like you, I also watched The X Files from Season One.

Oh wow! Another one I've not heard of Ash vs Evil Dead - will look into that one too.

GoT is fantastic if you like epic TV. It encompasses many families, with feuds + those who just wish to gain power by crushing others, to rule an empire. I just love it + recommend it!

You've brought up some terrific TV shows!

It still is sad about my Mum, except it was quite beautiful + very peaceful, for her, at the time. Now, when I look back, there are things I'd do differently. Still, it was a very happy time for Mum, who felt so loved by everyone + she loved them visiting her. Despite being so ill + close to death, Mum was a genius with her mobile phone. She'd ring family + friends, being unaware of the time + demand they'd visit. One darling friend, whose wife was out, arrived at 5pm with his two babies, bathed them in Mum's bathroom + she rallied to have both little ones sitting on her lap as she fed them dinner. Then she announced to their father to open a bottle of Champagne + a Beer for him, because she was having a lovely night. The babies fell asleep on her lap. Dinner arrived, which she refused + made him eat.
Many, many happy memories. Although Mum was in excruciating pain, the wonder + devotion of her family + friends made her very content. A very stoic, brave woman.

You must watch GoT, while some find it difficult in the beginning, you have the intelligence + the salt to persevere. Many fail to make it through. I was like a sponge, because Rome was so wonderful, but GoTs takes it to another level! More complex. Unknown, because we all studied Ancient History. Still, it takes us to another time, with much more action.

Will look at Capital City + I think I, like her, will enjoy it.

Cardiac Arrest was another terrific show.

Don't know A Very Peculiar Practice.

How about LA Law?

The Practice?

We've agreed on Dallas, but what about Dynasty?

Also, way, way back to 1976 IIRC, Rich Man, Poor Man with Peter Strauss? Epic!
Dallas >Dynasty
You'll like CC- a classy show with a superb finale
6FU is still unbeatable imho.
A VPP was quirky, but compulsory viewing.

I remember catching Capital City somewhere, liked it very much. Wire is very gritty, very trendy edgy. As with many series first couple seasons are best. X-Files fits that formula. Rome I liked as well.
GoT, I'm more ambivalent about. Obviously impressive production, and when it's good it's outstanding. Unfortunately in the beginning seasons, the story lines didn't catch my imagination. It's gotten much better.
As for those drama series, I was never much into the soap opera types. I've missed many since I moved overseas, but recently I've enjoyed
24 (most of the early seasons)
West Wing
Newsroom
Roadies (bonus of great music)
Blacklist
NCIS (original series)
Boardwalk Empire (first few seasons)
Vinyl (more good music)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back