Remove this Banner Ad

Dan26

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Werribee
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I'm not talking about close wins here. I'm talking about close wins in the dying stages, with a last second score.

We saw one today of course, and there have been a few involving my team.

Essendon vs Collingwood '09

Essendon vs Sydney 2001 (Essendon down by 20 points with about 10 minutes to go, Alessio takes a pack mark at the 33 minute mark. Goal. Siren goes when the ball is bounced. Total theft.)

Essendon vs Carlton 1998 (Essendon 20 points down at 20 minute mark, 3 quick goals. Silvagni kicks it straight to Lucas, Lucas goals, Essendon win)

Essendon vs Carlton 1981 (the most famous of them all. Essendon 26 points down at 20 minute mark. Essendon kick 4.3.27 to win by a point. Neale Daniher kicks the last two goals, right at the death)

There have been heaps from all the other clubs too. What are some of the other dramatic last minute acts of theft you have witnessed.

I'm not talking about close wins here. I'm talking about close wins in the dying stages.

Don't all close wins happen in the dying stages? eg. when the siren goes?

I'm confused, do you mean comebacks in the dying stages?

Hawthorn. Port. Aurora. 2007. Hawthorn by 2 goals take a couple of points. One minute remaining. Motlop. Chaplin. Ebert. Goal. Bounce. Siren.

Don't all close wins happen in the dying stages? eg. when the siren goes?

I'm confused, do you mean comebacks in the dying stages?

I'm talking about when a team pinches one at the death.

For example when the Bombers beat Carlton two weeks ago (great game though it was) it wasn't pinched in the dying stages.

Today's game very much was.

Peter Ricardi kicking a goal for Geelong versus the Blues to win the game after the siren, literally seconds after Carlton kicked a goal to "win" them the game was one of the more amazing ones. The ball was touched of the boot too, even though the umpire didn't notice.

Essendon vs Carlton 1998 (Essendon 20 points down at 20 minute mark, 3 quick goals. Silvagni kicks it straight to Lucas, Lucas goals, Essendon win)

Actually, SOS kicked it to Rice but it was such a terrible kick that Rice never had much of a chance to pick it up, allowing Lucas to swoop.

And this was after he took an awesome goal saving mark on the line too. :(

Another one was Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs round 21, 2005.

The Bulldogs were 4 goals up, with about 4 minutes to go.

Melbourne went bang, bang, bang bang, with Jeff White kicking a big 50 meter goal to put them in front right before the siren

That one was total theft by the Dees and propelled then into 8th at the expense of the Doggies who finished 9th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bUhhHA-AJvc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bUhhHA-AJvc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

And who could forget Billy kicking the winning the goal against the doggies in the 94 qualifying final after Osbourne kicked a goal with 30 seconds left on the clock to seemingly win the game for the doggies.

Nathan Thompson against Collingwood a few years back. They were about 20 points down with 3 or 4 minutes left.

Before the bounce last night mentioned a game in 1992 between Melbourne and Essendon. I can vaguely recall it, Melbourne had a lead of 47 points at the 8 minute mark of the last quarter - Dons slammed on 8 quick goals to steal it by a point.

Another one that sticks in the memory was the infamous 1994 Sydney Vs St.Kilda "Plugger Lockett KO's Peter Caven match". Swans were 54 points up with 15 minutes left in the last, and fell into a complete heap. Plugger finished with 11 of the saints 16 goals and they got up by a point. Shattering loss for any Swan fans, but geez they were happy to get him the next year.

Only been to two finals and have been blessed in my choices - sydney v geelong 2005 and hawks v adelaide 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back