Opinion Our Forward Set-up

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty simple truth: if we want Waite to play 15+ games he cannot play KP - he needs to play wing or flank.

Waite - Casboult - Robinson
Garlett - resting ruck - Betts

Walker, kenny? :confused:

Loves a defensive forward...

Ellard switching with Robbo/Murphy/Gibbs...
There WILL be a lock down defensive forward...!
2 talls, 2 smalls, 1 medium, 1 resting/defensive...

Horses for courses...

Armfield as the lock-down forward? Did a great job last year and if Tuohy & Yarran are doing their work down back, Army makes for a pretty good defensive forward.

But why would you rob our backline of a potentially great CHB to put him in as our CHF when Casboult is available ???
Put it this way, IMO Casboult is closer to being an AFL-quality CHF than Watson is to being an AFL-quality CHB.

Quite possibly coryne, but I'm just stuck on Henderson forward from what I've seen of him.
Much cleaner below his knees than any of our talls, with only possibly Kreuzer excluded who is amazing for his height.

He's the guy that can pin-point a hand-pass to small forward or mid, running into goal better than any other player we have.
Whichever way, we're going to love Henderson when he gets his injuries behind him. A great kid that should become a great footballer for our club.

The fact that Malthouse has sent him forward on occasion also suggests that he may well be keeping his options open, although Watson may be falling off the radar to some degree, for now.

No love for Mitchell???
Mitchell is 12 months away from consideration. He knows that and said so in his interview with Michelle. He just wants to play every game this year, regardless of whether it is for the blues or for the bullants. I think that his one game at senior level last year showed him and everyone else how far behind the 8 ball he is now in terms of core fitness and endurance.

So many options... who to pick...

my core positions would have something like this

XXXXXXX Casboult/Waite XXXXXXX
Betts Rowe/Casboult Garlett

Yes, I know that I have Casboult there twice... but I would play Casboult at CHF and Rowe at FF if Waite is out. And if Waite is in, I would have Cas at FF with Waite playing the lead up CHF.

The two half forward flank positions are horses for courses positions and we will probably fill them to suit the opposition line up. There are going to be days when we will go with White and Walker as our two other forwards, or we could move Garlett to one of the flanks and put the resting ruckman in the pocket with Walker/White/Armfield as our other flanker.

As someone else said, Garlett loves to get goal side of the defenders running onto the ball which means that he could nail down one of the HFF positions and run back towards the goals when the FF/resting ruckman is on the lead out.

From having a very disfunctional, one dimensional forward line in the Pagan/Early Ratten era's to what we have now, we have come a long way. It's good to know that we have a multitude of options who can actually get on the scoreboard.

And it would be awesome if one of our talls could really stamp himself as a power forward capable of kicking big bags just about every week.

Well for a start I hope that we don't see Henderson up forward. Hands aren't good enough, body strength and size isn't up to it and he is the best center half back we have! You don't move a gun CHB so he can be an average forward, not when we have Casboult (who has the ideal build, strength and size), Rowe, Waite, Hampson and Mitchell. You just don't rob the defence.

Rowe and Casboult look like genuine key position prospects. They are strong, they can hold a mark and they smash any one who gets in their way. Both can ruck decently and both are impressive with their second efforts. Waite is the cream but there is no point playing him until he is 100%.

I like the look of our tall forward line, they can all play. Even with just two tall forwards, when one pushes up the ground to the wing to get onto a long kick coming off half back we can still at times find ourselves with no tall target deep when we move it quickly after that so I recon the three tall forward system needs a little fine tuning but I like our decision making to not take risks with shorter kicks and to set up well for the long kick up the line.

Betts is looking white hot and Garlett is looking in pretty decent touch while Walker appears to be in everything and dangerous at ground level and in the air. Our big forwards and long kicking game will be complemented by these three, not to mention the midfielders who are also going through there.

Robbo and Simpson are getting a lot of shots on goal but aren't converting at a great rate which is a little concerning but at least they are doing what they do best well.

The forward press has been set up fairly well and the forward pressure has been excellent.

HF: Walker Casboult Garlett
F: Betts Waite (Rowe) Hampson
IC: Armfield

Expect to see Murphy, Judd, Carrazzo, Robinson, Simpson, Mclean, Kreuzer, Gibbs etc spend time here too. Midfield contribution to our scoring has been exceptionally good. Menzel and Buckley are likely types to contribute in this area if they get their chance.

I think there will be a lot of competition between Rowe, Casboult and Hampson when Waite is fit. All can play as sole key forwards and all can go into the ruck. This is how things should be!

HF: Judd Casboult Walker
F: Betts Hampson Garlett

When Waite is playing - let him loose- let him play where he wants like Kouta. Love to have him permanently up forward but believe that the Flanks would enable him to play more often. Would also provide excellent link option out of back line. Agree with other posters in that Hendo is CHB not CHF. Not sure that Watson is up for CHB, would prefer to see him mature as our FB. Like the idea of Judd leading the forward line and getting into Casboults ear.

HF: Walker - Casboult - Garlett
FF: Betts - Waite - Hampson

this team will be force if it gets up and running.

It's kind of hard to pick a 6 man forward line because I don't think there are many players who will play purely in the forward.

I expect we'll have:

*players who will spend most of their time in the midfield and a little time up forward that will include
Judd, Robinson, Gibbs, McLean, Murphy, Carrazzo etc.... basically all our starting mids :p

*Players who'll spend most of their time up forward with stint in the middle including
Betts, Garlett

*Players who'll spend time in the back, middle and forward including
Armfield, 2E, Walker, Lucas, Gibbs and possibly Yaz

*Players who'll swing between back and forward including
White, Henderson, Duigan, McInnes

And the Ruckman

The only player who I can see spending pretty much all their time in the forward line will be Casboult (assuming he doesn't need to ruck)

With that in mind I'd say our forward line will generally line up in 2 ways:

Taller:
HF: Betts - Casboult - Garlett
FF: Walker - Waite - Resting Ruck

Advantages:
4 Guys capable of taking a contested grab from the quick clearance or bringing it to ground for the smalls

Smaller:

HF: Betts - Casboult - Garlett
FF: Walker - Waite - Resting Mid

Still have decent presence in the air but will be much better at locking it in if the ball goes to ground.

Walker, kenny? :confused:

Armfield as the lock-down forward? Did a great job last year and if Tuohy & Yarran are doing their work down back, Army makes for a pretty good defensive forward.
Army makes a FANTASTIC defensive forward. His desire to chase and tackle are outstanding, and remember that goal on the burst last night? MM loves the Armfield type, he will excel this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell is 12 months away from consideration. He knows that and said so in his interview with Michelle. He just wants to play every game this year, regardless of whether it is for the blues or for the bullants. I think that his one game at senior level last year showed him and everyone else how far behind the 8 ball he is now in terms of core fitness and endurance.

I think he will play dozen games and own a forward spot at years end. He seems to have his body right finally and is right to go. He'll just need to string games together early to grab his chance.

Army makes a FANTASTIC defensive forward. His desire to chase and tackle are outstanding, and remember that goal on the burst last night? MM loves the Armfield type, he will excel this year

eSAah.jpg

I think he will play dozen games and own a forward spot at years end. He seems to have his body right finally and is right to go. He'll just need to string games together early to grab his chance.
I think that Squidda will play half a dozen games this year and set himself up to play 12-15 next year if Waite doesnt pull the pin. He does need to string games together, but he also needs to build his core fitness and endurance. While he is below par, he would be a liability to the side long term.

Also, totally agree. We have Hendo killing it as a mobile KPD. Leave him there.

Jamison-Hendo is a GREAT start to a backline, ably supported by Laidler-Duigan and Tuohy/Yarran/Scotland the run. Watson the apprentice KPD. It's a good setup, let it stay together.

The great thing about keeping Henderson at CHB is that in the event of any injury during the season to either Jamison or Henderson, then there is still some consistency in the back 6... ie: Watson comes in for whoever is injured.

If Henderson plays too much up forward and Jamison goes down with injury, then effectively you have two new guys trying to slot into the back half, and this disrupts the predictability that Carlton needs back there.

Like your thinking Harks. I too would like to Henderson played up forward. I'd probably drop Casboult in there too at FF and have Waite as a third tall running up to the wing and flanks. Then depending on what's going on with the rucks, Waite can drop back to FF if Levi needs to chop someone out. So I guess something like this ...

Waite Henderson Garlett
Betts Casboult Walker

Like to see Mitchell, Graham or Menzel get a shot in there too by years end if form and fitness back it up.
With this forward set up, how would your rucks work?

I keep seeing Jarrad Waite's name in this thread.

Is Malthouse going to select him with no preparation? Or do we reward Sam Rowe with a round 1 debut?

I keep seeing Jarrad Waite's name in this thread.

Is Malthouse going to select him with no preparation? Or do we reward Sam Rowe with a round 1 debut?

Would like MM to reward Rowe. I would prefer Waite on HFF or Wing

HF: Walker Casboult Garlett
F: Betts Rowe Hampson

Ill be surprised if Waite lines up round 1, he never came back in the reserves the last few times and seemed to go alright.

Im seeing

Armfield, Casboult, Garlett
Betts, Hampson, Walker

Whites going to be named on the bench a lot, but he'll get gametime in rotations as a swing man if the last two games are anything to go by. There is very few people who can outmark Hampson when he wants it at 2 metres with a huge leap. Walker isnt a hell of a lot shorter than Rowe and Casboult, and hes a better kick for goal. Betts is the best small forward in the league. Throw in Armfield for defensive pressure, Garlett for the run and Casboult for the big man possie at CHF. I do not see Henderson forward, and his form in defence in the preseason has been average at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back