Roast Our trade period

Talking to a couple of Hawks mates on week end.
Asked about Duryea , ---- " good luck with him " not fans at all :eek:

Because he has become another scapegoat in an increasing line of scapegoats. And when we are scapegoating Dahlhaus we've lost the plot. He was a loyal, tough, warrior and his experience and ball winning will be missed.

As opposed to your bizarre defence of everything Dahlhaus where you would have it that his declining form line over the past two years was a symptom of all that is wrong with the club or injuries and not an indication of a player who by his own admission wasn't mentally there after climbing the premiership mountain and was was looking for a fresh start. Dare I say it lest I invoke your usual indignant wroth at being told how to behave here, but get over it, he chose to invoke his FA rights and look for a better deal elsewhere and is gone.

Yours in anticipation.

Talking to a couple of Hawks mates on week end.
Asked about Duryea , ---- " good luck with him " not fans at all :eek:
I'm still mystified by the pick up.

I prefer a trade period to be targeting identified needs, Duryea doesn't really fill a need except for age profile. Sam lloyd at the very least plays in a part of the ground we need help in.

I prefer a trade period to be targeting identified needs, Duryea doesn't really fill a need except for age profile. Sam lloyd at the very least plays in a part of the ground we need help in.

Lloyd, I can understand from a lack of small fwd depth with the departure of Dahlhaus. But Duryea? I dont understand why either. Does he have pace? is there a quality aspect of his game that will help our backline? Im not sure.

Yours in anticipation.

I was more disappointed with Dahlhaus' attitude tbh. For a club that went out on a limb, picked him up when no other club wanted him, embraced him, built the team with him integral to its structure, to his significant drop in output over the last 2 seasons was probably a measure of the lack of maturity within Luke. The club has to be bigger than the player, and if the player is going to throw the toys out of the cot because he's been given the cold hard truth then, sad but true, we're probably better off in the long run without him.

Stringer and Dahlhaus can count themselves very lucky to finish their playing careers with at least one premiership medal to their name.

As opposed to your bizarre defence of everything Dahlhaus where you would have it that his declining form line over the past two years was a symptom of all that is wrong with the club or injuries and not an indication of a player who by his own admission wasn't mentally there after climbing the premiership mountain and was was looking for a fresh start. Dare I say it lest I invoke your usual indignant wroth at being told how to behave here, but get over it, he chose to invoke his FA rights and look for a better deal elsewhere and is gone.

Yours in anticipation.
You're already one of the reasons I left before and I can see your apology was hollow. Norm I think it's best we just avoid each other. I truly wish you all the best.
I'll leave the discussion at that.

You're already one of the reasons I left before and I can see your apology was hollow. Norm I think it's best we just avoid each other. I truly wish you all the best.
I'll leave the discussion at that.

Really?

There was nothing hollow about my apology, it was genuine and heartfelt and as far as Im concerned it still stands. I have a great deal of empathy for anybody dealing with whatever challenges life presents them. If you choose not to believe me, then thats entirely on you.

My posting style obviously aggravates you and I don't particularly want to do that so I'll refrain from replying to anything you post in future.

Good luck to you Mike. We're done.

Really?

There was nothing hollow about my apology, it was genuine and heartfelt and as far as Im concerned it still stands. I have a great deal of empathy for anybody dealing with whatever challenges life presents them. If you choose not to believe me, then thats entirely on you.

My posting style obviously aggravates you and I don't particularly want to do that so I'll refrain from replying to anything you post in future.

Good luck to you Mike. We're done.
It isn't your posting style. It is your habit of paraphrasing something I've said in the least charitable way possible so as to render it the argument of a lunatic, then bringing up past posting to score some bullshit points you have in your head.

So no I don't believe your apology because actions speak louder than words and I've come to the conclusion that maybe you're just not a very nice person or at the very least not a terribly introspective one and I don't want to waste my time with either.

Last edited:

I suppose coaches rate things we don’t sometimes - maybe Bevo sees him as a reliable defensive foot soldier that will release others to other parts of the ground?

It’s a bit baffling but given Bevo coaches him in the backline for a few years I guess he has the inside knowledge.

Duryea can kick well and applies himself. We have a lot of the latter and none of the former. Let’s see what happens. If it was bevos pick I’m happy to see what comes of it

Duryea can kick well and applies himself. We have a lot of the latter and none of the former. Let’s see what happens. If it was bevos pick I’m happy to see what comes of it
Can he kick well? I've seen little evidence of this. He seems small, medium paced with scratchy skills. Don't get Duryea as a pick up. I can at least understand Lloyd.

Can he kick well? I've seen little evidence of this. He seems small, medium paced with scratchy skills. Don't get Duryea as a pick up. I can at least understand Lloyd.
He's definitely good overhead for his size, but being about 180cm tall, that's probably not enough of a strength to be a highlight.

Beveridge coached Duryea for 2 years while he was at the Hawks, being the backline coach he would have been heavily involved with him too. If he sees a need / spot for him on the list having coached him before then i'll back that in.

I’m really willing to reserve judgment on both players. They have obvious upside in terms of either being able to be an effective part of a winning system (in Duryeas case) and being a competent goalkicker (in Lloyd’s).

Both have obvious downsides and I think only one of the two are likely to work (which I guess is why we paid so little)

Last edited:
He's definitely good overhead for his size, but being about 180cm tall, that's probably not enough of a strength to be a highlight.
So is Caleb Daniel. Doesn't really make it a strength at their respective heights unless they had Easton Wood's vertical.

That gun we could have got in the fourth roundo_O
How about someone who's not exactly what we have in abundance? A small, dumb, defender, with hit or miss skills.
I would have preferred a Crozier style pick up where we get a young bloke with some exposed form and potential to thrive in a new environment than two known entities that are being basically delisted by their clubs.

Back