List Mgmt. Our youth/flag window?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rozee was pretty impressive yesterday when he was moved in to the midfield during the second half.

There’s still time for those kids to come good.

Otherwise, I’ve no idea why Port have fallen so hard. Yeah, they lack genuine KPP’s at both ends, but that’s about it. And I’ve never rated SPP.

I don’t remember my post about Port back in 2020. But I believe they’re pretty stacked for young talent on the flanks, but they do lack young talent in the middle and KPP’s.
Just out of interest in 3-5 years time who do you think is in a better position to win a flag?

Carlton.

Then the Gold Coast dynasty begins.
Any concern about Gold Coast finding themselves in the same position GWS did with too many top end talents and not having the cap room for them all?
I probably agree just looking at lists, not sure I trust either front offices enough at this stage though.

Dynasties and windows are always designated in retrospect. No one was anticipating a Tigers window let alone dynasty before 2017. They certainly were predicting a Bulldogs dynasty fighting against Cameron's Orange Ferrari though. Our window should have been closed after 2005 but we kept pushing it and ended up with a decade of garbage.

+ Kiddy Coleman looks pretty certain to have a reasonable career at least.
+ I’m still confident Payne is an AFL player, Fletcher also looks like the best we’ve had through for a couple years. We’re not Sydney but the guys we’ve had out of the academy haven’t been as dire as it sounds at times.

I reckon you could have made this post 5 years ago and been justified

The consensus view in 2015/16 was that we were nearing the unstoppable GWS dynasty, that Richmond's list was middling at best and needed a new rebuild, and that the two South Australian teams would be dominant forces for five+ years.

Then the consensus view in 2019/20 was that the Demons had got their list build all wrong (I remember plenty of panel shows talking about how poor a decision it was to invest so much of their salary cap into two key defenders), and that Goodwin was almost certainly on the way out.

Then the consensus view over the most recent off-season had Port, the Bulldogs, and Essendon all as solid top 8 (and probably top 6) teams. Way too early to make definitive calls about the season ahead still, but that has been proven very wrong so far too.

Ultimately any projections about where things are going is barely more than guesswork. There are so many intangible factors that clubs themselves - let alone fans or the media - can’t account for. Who knows where things are going years down the track. I'm just very glad to support a team that's in with a chance now.

Last edited:
Any concern about Gold Coast finding themselves in the same position GWS did with too many top end talents and not having the cap room for them all?
I probably agree just looking at lists, not sure I trust either front offices enough at this stage though.
I have a couple of concerns with Gold Coast.

First is Dew. He appears to be a my way or the highway type of coach, and once you’re in his dog house, that’s it. And it’s purely based on his idea of talent and what he wants them to do, and if you can’t do it, then you’re out. See Lyons and Brodie.

Secondly, I believe that they still don’t have enough quality mature talent around their youth. And this feeds in to some of their questionable trade ins. See Atkins on a long term, middling contract.

But if Anderson can continue to be the culture driver among their youth and keep them together. They have the talent to eventually make finals, and once there, they probably don’t drop off until they begin to age out.

They might lose one or two players, but they’ll probably be the players they’re most willing to lose.

Just out of interest in 3-5 years time who do you think is in a better position to win a flag?
Giving you a proper answer about Brisbane and Port.

Brisbane. After giving Port’s list a quick look over. They don’t have the same quality current KPP’s. They are missing a genuine tall key back, and a number one key forward to replace Dixon.

Port began their youth movement in 2018, so they’re a couple of years behind us there.

I really do like their higher picks from 2018 to 2021, But they are almost all flankers, with a couple of exceptions.

They lack any young inside mids beyond Butters and Mead, and I don’t particularly rate Mead that high (at least not as high as I rate Robertson). Nor do they have any young KPP’s coming through, beyond Georgiades.

And I don’t know their list well enough to know what talent they have, of a similar age to Wines, those drafted between 2013 to 2015.. So I don’t know if they’ll have enough mature talent around their youth after Dixon, Boak and Gray retire.

They might only be down this year, and bounce back next year. Though trading their future second isn’t looking good atm, as they could have really filled two needs this draft, quality mid with their first pick and a good KPP prospect with their second pick (SA has a ridiculous amount of quality KPP’s this year).

If you look at just the youth drafted from 2016 onwards of both teams, we’ve got about the same number and quality, there’s is just a little younger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rozee was pretty impressive yesterday when he was moved in to the midfield during the second half.

There’s still time for those kids to come good.

Otherwise, I’ve no idea why Port have fallen so hard. Yeah, they lack genuine KPP’s at both ends, but that’s about it. And I’ve never rated SPP.

I don’t remember my post about Port back in 2020. But I believe they’re pretty stacked for young talent on the flanks, but they do lack young talent in the middle and KPP’s.
I’m not querying your talent identification, just raising how perceptions can change quiet dramatically over a short period of time. There’s plenty of time for those players to get back to those previous projections.

Sometime that unexpected drop can be the catalyst for a premiership. Richmond dropped and gain the currency for Prestia, Nank and Caddy while taking Bolton and Graham.
Melbourne have set themselves up for long term success picking Jackson and Kossie, when their type of list demographic generally don’t have access to those type of players.
Carlton.

Then the Gold Coast dynasty begins.
Carlton has some serious young talent, great Young Key Position talent at both ends, with a great young midfield.

It will be Interesting to see how their salary cap looks like, they paid some big contracts with estimated contracts from media at.
Williams(band 1) Saad (5x650k), Martin(600k/year feathered over 5 years) while adding Cerra (600k/year) and Hewitt (band2) last year, while having Cripps (1mil) and Walsh (800k) Wietering (?) Doch (???)
While not having McKay, Curnow and Kennedy tied to long term contracts. I don’t see them having much wiggle room.
Gold Coast I believe are already tight, see the Greenwood saga last year.

Sydney would be the team I’d have as most enviable list, Great young talent, great regular academy talent and a track record of being well run club regrading contracts and recruiting.

I still think Carton are closer to a premiership than us. We have a weird list demographic. TBH I reckon this is the year we have to win it.
We are genuinely contending at least this season which puts us closer to a premiership than Carlton right off the bat. Who is ageing out next season that’ll put us out of contention?

I still think Carton are closer to a premiership than us. We have a weird list demographic. TBH I reckon this is the year we have to win it.
Not a chance

Carlton can't even play out a whole game of football yet. They're at least another two years off imo

The players likely to/could retire over the next 2-3 years >

Dayne Zorko(33)- IMO the hardest of the 3 to replace although he is already transitioning out of the role he has played for most of his career.

Mitch Robinson(32)- Love Robbo and what he has bought to our club but he is eminently replaceable even now.

Daniel Rich(31)- Richy has a game that does not rely on pace, Coleman looks capable of playing his role if needed.

After those 3 we have as of today no 30 year olds on our list, then the next age group down is 29 year old Jarryd Lyons and Ryan Lester, Froggy not in our best 22, Lyons has been a fantastic role player for us but I'm confident someone else can play that role down the track... maybe even be capable of running harder defensively.

The players likely to/could retire over the next 2-3 years >

Dayne Zorko(33)- IMO the hardest of the 3 to replace although he is already transitioning out of the role he has played for most of his career.

Mitch Robinson(32)- Love Robbo and what he has bought to our club but he is eminently replaceable even now.

Daniel Rich(31)- Richy has a game that does not rely on pace, Coleman looks capable of playing his role if needed.

After those 3 we have as of today no 30 year olds on our list, then the next age group down is 29 year old Jarryd Lyons and Ryan Lester, Froggy not in our best 22, Lyons has been a fantastic role player for us but I'm confident someone else can play that role down the track... maybe even be capable of running harder defensively.

Tunstill seems like a good replacement for Lyons down the track. Wins contested ball in the middle, knows where the goals are and 3cms taller than Lyons !! Winning !!

Tunstill seems like a good replacement for Lyons down the track. Wins contested ball in the middle, knows where the goals are and 3cms taller than Lyons !! Winning !!
He was replacing Neale last week, this week's he's placing Lyons too! ;)

The thing that separates Neale and Lyons from our younger players is that Neale and Lyons are good to very good field kicks.

None of Berry, Berry, Mathieson, Robertson, Smith or Tunstill are good kicks.

Neither is Answerth in the back line.

The thing that separates Neale and Lyons from our younger players is that Neale and Lyons are good to very good field kicks.

I would rate T. Berry as a good kick. Tough assessment on young Tunstill. Hope he makes you eat humble pie once he gets used to the pace & pressure of the highest level in the game. Dev's kicking style a little out of whack but he seems to hit more targets than he miss's. Cant argue with the others regarding their kicking skills....very average.

What the hell have our recruiters been doing briz.... sack the lot of them;)

I like this thread and the comments. Agree with what Tom14 said on page 1 in his serious post.
Also one would need to think that (so far) freo have been playing well enough.....if that form continues and they surprise the comp and make the 4 and IF we can win the flag this year then all of a sudden is Neale satisfied to then move back to Freo and does Freo sell the farm thinking they have a shot in 2023? All of a sudden potential to boost our youth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back