Out of Bounds Rule

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it took only 10 or so minutes of this rule to know how crap it is.

At least we trialled it, and know it's shit now. Fact finding mission complete.

Next season we'll trial the rule of kicking yourself in the balls before you take a set shot. A success? Stay tuned!

All these stupid pre-season rules makes it far better preparation to lose your first round and practice under real rules.

Gees some of the rules they're trialling freaking suck, and then the rules they introduce they don't even trial

Absolute farce. Noone knew what was going on - the supporters, the players, probably the umpires too. You see guys punch it over the line and its not a free....it accidentally dribbles off your leg and its a free. Pure stupidity. Even worse than the rule a few years back when you couldnt pick the ball up if you were on the ground.

Whoever thought of using this rule even in the NAB cup should be saked... Wouldn't think they even thought about that rule at all before putting it in, thank god its only round 1 of the NAB cup because I don't think I could put up with much more of it.

Yes, we are possibly the only sport in the world that doesn't give out-of-bounds possession against the last team that touches it (anybody think of another?)

American Football is the only other sport I can think of that doesn't hand possession over when the ball goes over the sideline. There is absolutely no need for this rule whatsoever!!

Should have been off the boot only. Anything that encourages sides to not always take the soft option is good for football. There's 9 pointers, it's a trial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what happens when you have senile old men still on the rules committee

Can't wait to see the sub rule in effect during games that actually count

Amazing such a great sport is run by absolute duds

This is what happens when you have senile old men still on the rules committee

Can't wait to see the sub rule in effect during games that actually count

Amazing such a great sport is run by absolute duds
It's not the first time the Premiers have caused some changes in the NAB with new or questionable tactics to win a flag. Agree that Collingwood are the losers with both the sub rule and the boundary rule. But overall people want to see their star midfielders on the ground and some matchups with opposing gun midfielders. Let alone the other issues like congestion, quicker flooding and collisions.

If all teams were to follow the boundary line play, the product would suffer. They did stuff this rule up by not having it 'off the boot' only.

The spreading has become an excuse to take the easy option and reward loose players. Both rules have some governing elements of pre-empting a situation rather than allowing a flooding type blight to take hold again.

The product is bigger than the clubs and obviously the first teams to play by these new rules wont have altered their plans as we will see over the coming weeks.

Teams dont like to be forced to alter their game, but it can be in the best interests of the future of the game and these teething problems should lessen, especially if it's changed to off the boot only.

What's with the whinging?

Yes it's a shit rule. Yes it's probably the worst rule introduced in a while.

But some perspective - it's trialled in a tournament no one cares about - so what's the issue?

The issue is they're making the NAB Cup so foreign compared to the season proper that it can barely be classified as practice.

If teams can't play young players in conditions that will prepare them for the real thing a few weeks later then the tournament is utterly pointless except for the AFL lining it's pockets as usual.

Even the 9 point rule is a joke, but at least it doesn't really affect how teams approach each game.

About the only thing it means to me is that i want the eagles out of this tournament ASAP

This proves the point I'm making. If you can't wait for the Eagles to be knocked out so they can get some real practice in then how can the NAB Cup be taken seriously at all?

This organisation is a joke compared to others around the world. What other respected sporting league changes the rules as often as the AFL?

They complain all season long about the pace of the game and ruin the fabric of it by inroducing a soccer type sub concept.

Then they trial this stupid rule that QUICKENS the overall speed of the match!

It is really enough said about the men that decide these rules, NO CLUE!

They complain all season long about the pace of the game and ruin the fabric of it by inroducing a soccer type sub concept.

Then they trial this stupid rule that QUICKENS the overall speed of the match!

Just wait till they bring in the points penalty for kicking out of bounds on the full if the Pies go back to back ;)

The issue is they're making the NAB Cup so foreign compared to the season proper that it can barely be classified as practice.

I agree there - the pre-season comp is pathetic - though it's not just the rules, it's more that the AFL try and make it a genuine competition when all the clubs treat it with contempt.

1 intra club match
2 scratchies

Roll on the season

Why the hell aren't the rules in the preseason just the same as what they are in the regular season? Isn't the whole purpose of the preseason to ease players into the regular season? Why do they constantly persist with these bullshit, gimmicky rule variations which will never ever be introduced? They've been using the ******ed supergoal rule for about 10 years now for no obvious reason and now they bring in this out of bounds rule which completely changes the way the game is played. Unbelievable that people are getting paid to come up with this crap.

The rule is total crap and must never be implemented again. Wish the AFL would just stop messing with the rules every season. :mad:

It's not the first time the Premiers have caused some changes in the NAB with new or questionable tactics to win a flag. Agree that Collingwood are the losers with both the sub rule and the boundary rule. But overall people want to see their star midfielders on the ground and some matchups with opposing gun midfielders. Let alone the other issues like congestion, quicker flooding and collisions.

If all teams were to follow the boundary line play, the product would suffer. They did stuff this rule up by not having it 'off the boot' only.

The spreading has become an excuse to take the easy option and reward loose players. Both rules have some governing elements of pre-empting a situation rather than allowing a flooding type blight to take hold again.

The product is bigger than the clubs and obviously the first teams to play by these new rules wont have altered their plans as we will see over the coming weeks.

Teams dont like to be forced to alter their game, but it can be in the best interests of the future of the game and these teething problems should lessen, especially if it's changed to off the boot only.

The only thing I can agree with here is the wish to see the best mids match up against eachother.

Why would all teams play the boundary type game when all of the same teams over summer have been trying to find ways to expose it? Collingwood were clearly the best at it in 2010, any coach that tried to match them immediately or recruit players to combat it and play that way over the next year or so are inevitably going to be at least a year behind the Pies anyway.

Collingwood's execution of their wide gameplan in 2010 was excellent. Going back two to three years the amount of crap they copped for attacking from wide positions was huge, but they stuck to it. They then tightened the defensive side of their game once they'd learned how to kick goals from attacking wide and the rest is history. Any team trying to replicate that would need to have been doing it for a long time.

I really don't see why you have a problem with the spread. I can't understand why you wouldn't reward loose players. The amount of running you have to do, as well as the judgement involved in getting loose can't be underestimated. Growing up I was always told Aussie Rules is a game of "keep things off", and it's some of the best football advice I've ever received, as you can't capitalise on an opportunity you don't have. And nothing craps me off more than seeing my team give up possession of the ball.

The clubs are the game as well, don't forget. They get greedy sometimes I agree, but it doesn't mean the AFL should just implement rules to curtail their style. Leave it up to the other teams! The game is complicated enough, if the AFL wishes to expand, it should look at ways of reducing the technical side of the game rather than increasing it. That would make the game more accessible.

Teams alter their game all the time. The AFL changing a rule to "right" a current wrong won't help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back