Food/Supplements Paleo Diet

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone here tried following a paleo diet in America? I'm looking for a moderate protein snack but the only nuts and sliced meats that I can find are caramelized, salted beyond belief or just otherwise pumped with carbs

Funny you bring this up... I'm beginning to think that sashimi is the perfect scam. I bought some last week as it's the only take away i can eat on that whole30 thing.... Anyway, typically i'd douse it in soy and wasabi but couldn't do that for obvious reasons so i had it by itself.... Was bland and foul. I realised that the thing that made it taste good were the condiments.
Would be interesting if people could give their favorite take away. So difficult to find something quick and convenient that gives you a sense of a quick type of tasty cheat meal (harder for me being low carb)

Then the quality of the food is poor. Also there's far less tuna around now due to the price, so most places want to give you salmon and then prawn (I hate that).

Either way, a lot of places with decent chefs will advise against using condiments as the fish should speak for itself (... so to speak ;))

You're probably right about the quality. I got it from a place in swanston st so was prob just s**t.

Would be interesting if people could give their favorite take away. So difficult to find something quick and convenient that gives you a sense of a quick type of tasty cheat meal (harder for me being low carb)
Nando's grilled chicken is my go-to. Great protein, moderate fat and minimal carbs. Sodium is through the roof though.

Obviously, doesn't really fall under the Paleo protocol.

Nando's grilled chicken is my go-to. Great protein, moderate fat and minimal carbs. Sodium is through the roof though.

I will give this a try. :thumbsu:
Im more than ok with sodium, as being low carb thats one of the drawbacks, then need for more than normal is one of the drawbacks.

Im more than ok with sodium, as being low carb thats one of the drawbacks, then need for more than normal is one of the drawbacks.
Have a look here:
http://www.nandos.com.au/menu/nutrition

On a rest day from gym (maybe once a month or two), coupled with IF, my one meal for the day would simply be a whole chicken (plus veg from home). 1100cal, 145p/53f/6c.

Sorry if we've digressed, everyone! Paleo on!

Has anyone here tried following a paleo diet in America? I'm looking for a moderate protein snack but the only nuts and sliced meats that I can find are caramelized, salted beyond belief or just otherwise pumped with carbs

Egg or make your own beef jerky?

Home made choc/coconut fudge, think outside the square

Schnitz schnitzel (if you can have some self control and avoid the chips). You can get it without the wrap (just the chicken by itself) and I recommend a spicy crumb. I spend far too much money there but it is convenient and delicious (I don't own a schnitz, although I wish I did).

I'm a Nandos junkie, problem is I love the chips too much so I always get a regular with four tenderloins. Total waste of money and high in carbs but I love it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've decided to do the whole30 in March.

i'll join you on March 11.

I did it from Feb 2 to Feb 14 - it makes you feel pretty good.
So you did half a whole:p

Not true, show me where thats not the case. KFC drumsticks constantly get a tick of approval from sports nutritionists for the occasional takeawy. And what isnt good about the drumstick as a low carb high fat takeaway?

Curious why the drumstick gets the nod over the other pieces? I would have thought the breast piece (not rib) would be it due to a larger meat content..
But yes Im with you here Bazzar, KFC is my rare junkfood treat/cheat meal of choice! Nothing like it hey? :D
Although the drumstick would be my least fav piece!

Nandos I dont even consider a cheat meal, sure if you order the chips maybe.. but surely ordering a whole chook to takeaway and have it with a homemade salad dressed in EVOO gets the LCHF tick?

Had a friend who wanted to go 'healthy' so he ordered the coleslaw instead of chips in Nandos, he was feeling pretty happy with himself until I told him the mayo in that coleslaw is loaded with sugar which he didnt take into account! Probably not that much worse than a serve of chips!

i lasted about 10 or so days, went to the movies and the smell of the popcorn got me

Yeah but did you look at the size of the people eating it!

I took the kids to see a movie in the Xmas holidays, it was 9am & fatties were entering the theatre with huge buckets of popcorn n coke.
My kids complained cos I wouldn't buy them any, the smell got them aswell, the asked me why not.
I said if you want to end up the size of them I'll go buy you some, they passed!
9am & people were eating choc tops on the way in, what hope have their kids got.
I like how people condone it cos there at the movies, people look for any excuse to pig out.
I'm sure Will power is a thing of the past!

Curious why the drumstick gets the nod over the other pieces? I would have thought the breast piece (not rib) would be it due to a larger meat content..
But yes Im with you here Bazzar, KFC is my rare junkfood treat/cheat meal of choice! Nothing like it hey? :D
Although the drumstick would be my least fav piece!

Nandos I dont even consider a cheat meal, sure if you order the chips maybe.. but surely ordering a whole chook to takeaway and have it with a homemade salad dressed in EVOO gets the LCHF tick?

Had a friend who wanted to go 'healthy' so he ordered the coleslaw instead of chips in Nandos, he was feeling pretty happy with himself until I told him the mayo in that coleslaw is loaded with sugar which he didnt take into account! Probably not that much worse than a serve of chips!
Because when it comes to chicken - thigh has it all over the breast. Breast is bland and overrated. Thigh, or drumstick is always, always better. I'm not talking about no KFC s**t either, just generally speaking. :p

No they dont, they moved from hydrogenated Palm to canola/sunflour (that was the bad stuff) to now Aussie non hydrogenated Canola that is trans free, or at worst less than 1%
doesn't heating canola in the the fryers make it hydrogenated any way? It certainly turns it into a trans fat.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back