upload_2015-1-19_21-53-8.jpeg

DOB: 22/09/54

Height: 179 cms
Weight : 80 kgs

Games: 138
Goals: 129

Debut: Round 18 1972 V South Melbourne

Recruited From: Korumburra (Victoria)

Took a while to mature, but developed into a very serviceable, competitive player who was ideally suited for our gamestyle in the 70's. Goad was recruited from our rich West Gippsland Recruiting Zone.

Goad was second rover to Leigh Matthews in our 1976 premiership win. Goad overcame a very serious knee injury caused in a training accident with Don Scott in 1977. Goad basically missed 18 months of football. Goad made a solid comeback and was a reliable member of the Hawks teams of the late 70's & early 80's.

Where is he now? Living and working in Brisbane these days.

The thing that always stuck with me about Alan Goad was his HAIR. Always seemed...I don't know, different. Sort of like Leo Sayers hair when he was younger.

Flag08 - Remember the day (felt like Crocodile Dundee walking on the heads of people in the New York subway just to get around and the sound of the people stomping on the tin at the back of the stands but sadly I do not remember Goad's 5.)

From memory Goad wasn't that fast, not slow but not a speedester.. might be wrong. Just strange to think on the big or should I say massive VFL park oval he got away from his Collingwood opponent to get 5.

Always remembered him being dependable, made good decisions when he had the ball.

Queens Birthday 1981
Collingwood v Hawthorn
Pies massive favourites
VFL Park capacity 78,000
93,000 turn up

Come on down Alan Goad.
Good time to have your best game ever. Kicked a lazy 5 in an 8 goal flogging.
Bugger me remember that day just like yesterday!
Can't believe it was nearly 34 years ago. Ground was so chockers we had to go in the members area & my mate & I watched majority of the game sitting in the aisle miles up in the Kenneth Luke stand. Only time I watched a game from there.
Still miss VFL park bad:( So many great memories there.

Queens Birthday 1981
Collingwood v Hawthorn
Pies massive favourites
VFL Park capacity 78,000
93,000 turn up

Come on down Alan Goad.

Yep...he and 'Scratcher' Murnane tore the pies a new one that day!

The thing that always stuck with me about Alan Goad was his HAIR. Always seemed...I don't know, different. Sort of like Leo Sayers hair when he was younger.

Flag08 - Remember the day (felt like Crocodile Dundee walking on the heads of people in the New York subway just to get around and the sound of the people stomping on the tin at the back of the stands but sadly I do not remember Goad's 5.)

From memory Goad wasn't that fast, not slow but not a speedester.. might be wrong. Just strange to think on the big or should I say massive VFL park oval he got away from his Collingwood opponent to get 5.

Always remembered him being dependable, made good decisions when he had the ball.
You are right Rusty. Goad was never quick but neither was the Collingwood back line in those days plus, like most teams of the era, they put 2 blokes on the fat bloke in the other forward pocket wearing number 3 which allowed Goad to make some unmarked leads. He actually kicked 5.4 so it could have been more. For some strange reason I actually do remember him having plenty of space that day.

I remember having his footy card, as well as Alle De Wolde's, does that count????

gc5706747583003765506.jpg

Queens Birthday 1981
Collingwood v Hawthorn
Pies massive favourites
VFL Park capacity 78,000
93,000 turn up

Come on down Alan Goad.
I was there too. Couldn't get a seat for three quarters so we sat in the aisles until Pies supporters started leaving in the final quarter. It was an amazing sight.

As for Goad he was a serviceable player. Nothing special but did his job.

I remember having his footy card, as well as Alle De Wolde's, does that count????

gc5706747583003765506.jpg
I love Alle De Wolde - he is the reason that I am a hawk and not a dreaded pie supporter.

My father was a pies supporter and dragged me along to games at VIC park up to the age of 5.

But then I started school and my prep teacher, Mrs Davis ( God bless this woman) lived next door to the 1978 back pocket super star named Alle De Wolde. They say that teachers can have a massive influence on a young mind and mrs Davis ( or her Neighbours) Was enough to sway an impressionable 5 year old to switch Alligienaces just in time for the juggernaut of success that was Hawthorn in the 1980's.

Thank you Alle and thank you Mrs Davis. 34 years of glory, 8 flags and so much joy

I love Alle De Wolde - he is the reason that I am a hawk and not a dreaded pie supporter.

My father was a pies supporter and dragged me along to games at VIC park up to the age of 5.

But then I started school and my prep teacher, Mrs Davis ( God bless this woman) lived next door to the 1978 back pocket super star named Alle De Wolde. They say that teachers can have a massive influence on a young mind and mrs Davis ( or her Neighbours) Was enough to sway an impressionable 5 year old to switch Alligienaces just in time for the juggernaut of success that was Hawthorn in the 1980's.

Thank you Alle and thank you Mrs Davis. 34 years of glory, 8 flags and so much joy
That's a great story of how you became a Hawk!

Alle De Wolde's daughter is actually one of my sister's best friends, the family all support the Hawks still. His daughter got his genes and was actually an absolute gun netballer, she domimated all rep comps and state squads growing up. Was destined to make the national side once she was old enough. However, she discovered smoking, drinking and partying and chose that over working her butt off to go with her ridiculous talent.

Anyway just an interesting side note.

Interesting! Alle went to the same school as me and married my next door neighbour (she was a girl, if you're wondering - nice too, they were a good couple).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Queens Birthday 1981
Collingwood v Hawthorn
Pies massive favourites
VFL Park capacity 78,000
93,000 turn up

Come on down Alan Goad.

I was at this game. For some reason got to the ground at about 11am. Into the afternoon the crowd just grew...and grew...and grew. What a win it was! And yeah, would have to have been Goady's best game for the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back