Delisted #27: Jason Laycock - Computer says no

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 27. Jason Laycock

Jason Laycock is not the type of player that will win us a premiership.

if hes fit and able to complete a season he is 100times more likely to win us a premiership than bellchambers!

that IF does have to disappear though!

lol at talent.

He's 25 and is yet to register one quality game. He's taken a mark or kicked a goal to deceive but it's a a charade.

4th in the ruck pecking order behind Bellchambers for me.

I can distinctly recall that he's played at least one game, probably more, where he's been among Essendons' best on the ground.

It was just a shame for him that he missed out on last year through injury after a 2008 where he looked ordinary. His talent is still there, and if he can get his fitness and confidence together he is going to make an impact for us on the ground, every genuine Bombers supporter should want that. Of course, he should probably be delisted this year if he doesn't perform, but it's not too late for him to turn his career around.

lol at talent.

He's 25 and is yet to register one quality game. He's taken a mark or kicked a goal to deceive but it's a a charade.

ANZAC Day 05(?) where he finished second in the medal.

He also played some good footy towards the end of Sheeds' final year, including a game when Hille was dropped. I believe, if fit, he is easily ahead of Bellchambers. Now and in the future. The evidence for why we didn't take a ruckman to Adelaide I believe was plain to see in the NAB cup v WC.

Remember, after about 4-5 years and 50 games (by memory) Melbourne got rid of Jolly...now look.

This guy has talent, that cant be questioned, I'm going to hold of writing him off as ruckmen take a little longer than most. I made this mistake with Hille.

ANZAC Day 05(?) where he finished second in the medal.

18 possessions, 7 marks, 7 hitouts 2 goals against greats like Tristen Walker and Cameron Cloke is the only semi decent game he's played.

58 games and we are struggling to find one that is par. I think it tells the story of his career and where he'll be soon.

18 possessions, 7 marks, 7 hitouts 2 goals against greats like Tristen Walker and Cameron Cloke is the only semi decent game he's played.

58 games and we are struggling to find one that is par. I think it tells the story of his career and where he'll be soon.

Dane Swan is the best player in the competition. :rolleyes:

While things aren't looking too good for Laycock I think he'll still be at Essendon next year. He might find himself as our full-forward if Neagle doesn't work out and he's a good 3rd ruckman to have as Hille will only have a few years left.

lol at talent.

If he didn't have the talent he would have been de-listed when he was 22 or 23. All we can really discuss is talent because he has never had a body to allow him to play AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 7 2005: 8K 2H 3M 25HO 2G v Adam Goodes 9K 6H 5M 27HO 1G

Round 13 2007: 7K 7H 5M 28HO 2G v Jeff White (9K 7H 5M 19HO 0G)

Round 20 2007: 8K 12H 5M 17HO 1G

Round 3 2008: 4K 10H 4M 19HO 1G (Hille same day 10K 5H 6M 17HO 1G)

Round 20 2008: 7K 9H 9M 8HO 1G (David Hille 9K 7H 6M 18HO 2G)

Are a couple that jumped out at me. There are other games I looked up in which he broke even or bettered his direct opponents. And games in which he has won many hitouts from what would appear to be limited game time.

I think to throw a blanket statement out there that he has only played one "semi-decent game" and that in his career we "struggle to find one that is par" detracts from your argument. Clearly there are games he has played that are up to standard.

27. Jason Laycock
layc.jpg

Born: 4 November, 1984 (25 years old)
Recruited: 2002 Draft, pick 10 from Tassie Mariners
Height: 201cm
Weight: 105kg
Prospectus Classification: Ruckman-Tall

Games: 58
Goals: 36
Debut:

r17-gsp-17.jpg

2008 Statistics (DNP 2009):
Matches: 16
Average minutes/game: 86
Ave kicks: 4.7 @ 62.7%
Ave handballs: 3.8 @ 70.5%
Ave disposals: 8.5 @ 66.2%
K:H ratio: 1.2:1
Ave contested possessions: 5.2
Percentage contested possessions: 59.7%
Ave uncontested possessions: 3.5
Percentage contested possessions: 40.3%
Ave marks: 2.8
Ave uncontested marks: 2.1
Ave contested marks: 0.7
Ave HO: 9.6 @ 18.8%
Ave clearances: 1.8
Goals:
Behinds: 9
Goalkicking accuracy: 60.9%
Goal assists: 3
Score assists: 6
Frees for: 14
Frees against: 11

SuperCoach Average:
Dream Team Average: 50

r20-gsp-21.jpg

Prospectus Summary:
Laycock failed to make it on to the field at AFL level last season, missing the entire year with a foot injury. He managed one game for the Bendigo Bombers in the VFL, but developed soreness in the foot and was put on ice for the rest of the year. He has averaged eight disposals, three marks and nine hitouts per game across his career, but when he does win the hitout he boasts an impressive hitout-to-advantage rate of 24%. Laycock demonstrated he could go forward and have an impact, scoring a goal in 10 of his 14 games in 2008. Entering his sixth year at the club, he now finds himself at least third in the ruck pecking order at Windy Hill behind David Hille and Patrick Ryder.
Fantasy Freako says: You would have to be pretty desperate to pick this bloke. Don't touch him.

r15-gsp-30.jpg

EFC Website Player Profile:
In a 2009 season that could have presented opportunities aplenty due to the knee injury to fellow ruckman David Hille, Laycock suffered a similar fate, unable to play a game due to a navicular (foot) problem. Now entering the final year of his contract, the big man needs to step up to cement his future at the club.

r14-gsp-23.jpg

My Personal Summary:
The scapegoat for some of our more ignorant supporters, Laycock also cops a lot of criticism from more respected supporters. Some of this is warranted, but his laconic style works against him in this regard. No one with any credibility doubts that the talent is there, but whether injuries and off-field issues will allow Chook to utilise that potential remains to be seen. With his quality ruckwork and ability to take a huge pack mark, Laycock will be around the 22 for most of the year, barring injury, and will get gametime up forward and in the ruck. He also manages to find the most amazing positions and facial expressions for photos, as evidenced by this thread.:D

r17-gsp-11.jpg

Contract Status: Contracted until the end of 2010
Injury Status: Fit

r14-gsp-11.jpg

Sources:
AFL Prospectus 2010
essendonfc.com.au

Link

Laycock delisted; coaches leave
By Mic Cullen 1:58 PM Wed 06 Oct, 2010

Laycock_Rd208_246a.jpg

ESSENDON has delisted big man Jason Laycock and has lost assistant coaches Alan Richardson and Gary O'Donnell.

Laycock battled injury through his seven years with the Bombers, and played 58 matches for the club, the last in round 20, 2008.

Full article

/End thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back