Retired #18: Matthew Lloyd - Diagnosed with Bell's Palsy - 15/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 18. Matthew Lloyd

He hinted today at my school, during a pathway program to the Western Jets/Calder Cannons training session, that he was going to retire when his contract expires next year...He also stated that McVeigh will be the leading candidate for captain when he has retired in his opinion...
What did he exactly say?

What did he exactly say?

I asked Lloydy, ' Who do you think will be our next captain..? Stanton..? McVeigh..?' A kid from the school yelled out, ' McVeigh's too old! ' Then Lloydy respnded, 'I think McVeigh certainly has to be next in line, a terrific player, wheres his heart on his sleeves and really is looked up to by the young players.'

I asked Lloydy, ' Who do you think will be our next captain..? Stanton..? McVeigh..?' A kid from the school yelled out, ' McVeigh's too old! ' Then Lloydy respnded, 'I think McVeigh certainly has to be next in line, a terrific player, wheres his heart on his sleeves and really is looked up to by the young players.'

You should apply for a job at the Herald Sun. That is a lot to construe from that quote.

And is it from that quote that you think he'll retire at the end of 2009 or did he say something else?

I think he has another 3-4 years left in him (barring any major injury of course) and that quote doesn't change my mind.

And is it from that quote that you think he'll retire at the end of 2009 or did he say something else?

I think he has another 3-4 years left in him (barring any major injury of course) and that quote doesn't change my mind.

No, that's not giving any hints away there at all, it is what he also said.
A kid form the school said,'How much longer do you think you've got left in the game..?' and Lloydy replied,'Well..(Pause), I think I will have a good look at how I'm travelling, form and fitness wise, and where the club wants to head. McVeigh will be a ready replacement when I retire I'd imagine for captain, whenever that might be..Any other questions..?'

It's not so much what he said, but his body language & voice tone didn't look/sound to promising imo...

I really hope so, he deserves it.

I'm gonna hate it when he retires. Other clubs supporters will know him as the diving NTTAWWT. When he isn't. I'm always getting bagged by my mum's boyfriend when we do crap. And he's always bagging Lloyd.

Imagine if he hadn't been injured so much in the past 5 years! He'd have already passed that 1000 mark.

I really hope so, he deserves it.

I'm gonna hate it when he retires. Other clubs supporters will know him as the diving NTTAWWT. When he isn't. I'm always getting bagged by my mum's boyfriend when we do crap. And he's always bagging Lloyd.

Imagine if he hadn't been injured so much in the past 5 years! He'd have already passed that 1000 mark.
LLoydy has been unlucky in the last couple of weeks his put his hand up and making a extra effort to go in hard but unfortunatly there hasnt been to much reward for his efforts

I've always thought that since he broke his arm (i know it's ancient history now) but he seems to be mistiming his leads. As in too early or too late, but maybe thats the midfield not delivering it to him properly.

Thoughts?
yeah i think he hasnt been playing all that well since his hammy injury, especially his kicking on goal. Essendon has the worst disposal out of the middle in the AFL which makes things hard for him. Put him in the Geelong side and he will still be a dominant forward, with bartel, ablett and selwood putting it down his throat.
Still a great leader on the field, but needs Scotty Lucas back to play the traditional CHF role, Lloydy is better closer to home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sitting at the footy it really annoys me when 'supporters' pay out on lloyd, when he is one of the few always trying out there

He cops a lot of close attention, and umpires are reluctant to give him free kicks due to his reputation as a 'diver'. And it really annoys me when all anti-lloyd people bring out this argument. as Dermott once pointed out that Lloyd has the unique ability to, at the end of a lead, jump towards the ball gaining an extra metre on his opponent and unspoilable. Its just that nowadays the delivery is so bad that he ends up going to ground and not marking the ball either

that being said, he still needs to work on not going to ground in one-on-one contests, just like half of the rest of team who seem to fall to ground whenever under pressure, perceived or real.

I don't mind defending Lloydy to the hilt but it's starting to run a little thin on me. In a marking contest he simply cannot keep his feet any more which kills us because he doesn't take anywhere near as many grabs as he used to. Also, his efforts of putting his head over the ball were embarrasing tonight. I know it was slippery but he was almost standing still and just collapsed on top of it when he felt pressure. Not good signs I'm afraid.

ill be honest i haven't read the whole thread so if this has been said my apologies :)

lloydy needs to add another dimension to his game, coming up the ground is all well and good but he panics under pressure and really doesn't hugely benefit the team by doing so. im just thinking out aloud (or typing out aloud) but maybe he needs to bring a bit of dog back into his game. a few years back he used to hit packs pretty hard. last night i saw him on the lead, one of the hawks rucks dropping back, rather than hitting the ball hard he took a dive. what he couldve and probably shouldve done was contest the ball, hit the ball hard, maybe give the free kick away but i bet the next time the same situation arose the ruck maybe would at least hesitate, if only for a second

just my 2c...cant really teach an old dog new tricks

ill be honest i haven't read the whole thread so if this has been said my apologies :)

lloydy needs to add another dimension to his game, coming up the ground is all well and good but he panics under pressure and really doesn't hugely benefit the team by doing so. im just thinking out aloud (or typing out aloud) but maybe he needs to bring a bit of dog back into his game. a few years back he used to hit packs pretty hard. last night i saw him on the lead, one of the hawks rucks dropping back, rather than hitting the ball hard he took a dive. what he couldve and probably shouldve done was contest the ball, hit the ball hard, maybe give the free kick away but i bet the next time the same situation arose the ruck maybe would at least hesitate, if only for a second

just my 2c...cant eally teach an old dog new tricks

what the should do is trade him for a draft pick even if it a second round pick i think the would still be better off his best is past him and he will never get back to were he was

Remove this Banner Ad

Back