2nds Peel Thunder 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

King Huskii

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 19, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Still a little while until the pre-season scratch matches and regular season.

I believe Peel will be really strong this season if there aren't too many injuries.

I believe it was 13 players maximum in 2022.

Would be interested to see how posters think players will line up for round 1 and who might start in the ressies.

Who's the current 13 that ll most likely suit up for Peel Round 1?
My guess

Wilson- HB
Hamling-FB
Hughes- Wing/HB
Colyer- HF/Wing
Wagner ? (if fit)- HB
Johnson- midfield
Erasmus- midfield
Reidy- Ruck
Kuek- FF
Banfield - HF
Draper - FB
Corbett- FF
Sturt- HF

Seriously stacked.
Still have Emmett, Davies, Knobel, Benning, Worner (when fit) to sort.

My guess

Wilson- HB
Hamling-FB
Hughes- Wing/HB
Colyer- HF/Wing
Wagner ? (if fit)- HB
Johnson- midfield
Erasmus- midfield
Reidy- Ruck
Kuek- FF
Banfield - HF
Draper - FB
Corbett- FF
Sturt- HF

Seriously stacked.
Draper probably starting in reserves. One of Treacy or Amiss will likely be there as it looks impossible to fit both into Freo if Fyfe and Tabs are both playing. So just the one swap and I think you're pretty close.

My guess

Wilson- HB
Hamling-FB
Hughes- Wing/HB
Colyer- HF/Wing
Wagner ? (if fit)- HB
Johnson- midfield
Erasmus- midfield
Reidy- Ruck
Kuek- FF
Banfield - HF
Draper - FB
Corbett- FF
Sturt- HF

Seriously stacked.
Henry?

Emmett shouldn't be playing reserves either. He was one the best state League forwards in the country FFS.

I said this was a problem when the limit was announced.

Sure let Peel have a massive say in selecting the team but outside of maybe 5-6 Peel players they shouldn't be getting in the way of the vast majority of our list playing at WAFL senior level.

Only our Category B rookies and more than likely still Benning would actually benefit at all playing that level. Probably not detrimental to Knobel's development either but I'd expect him to be borderline WAFL standard almost straight away tbh.

Emmett shouldn't be playing reserves either. He was one the best state League forwards in the country FFS.

Sure let Peel have a massive say in selecting the team but outside of maybe 5-6 Peel players they shouldn't be getting in the way of the vast majority of our list playing at WAFL senior level.

Only our Category B rookies and more than likely still Benning would actually benefit at all playing that level. Probably not detrimental to Knobel's development either but I'd expect him to be borderline WAFL standard almost straight away tbh.
It's not Peels call either though, its a league rule because the other clubs all complained

Only way we get out of it is by joining the VFL

Peel recruits this year, from codesports.

Peel Thunder

Brady Grey, Box Hill: It’s been four years since Grey played for Peel Thunder, then on Fremantle’s list. A stint in the Eagles’ WAFL side, two years at Perth and one year at Box Hill have followed but after returning to Fremantle as an AFL development coach, the 27-year-old is set to fast-track the development of the Dockers’ midfielders by playing alongside them at Peel.

Aidan Hare, Maryborough: It’s a long journey from Maryborough to Mandurah but it’s one Hare will make to further his football career. The 20-year-old came through the NAB League system at Bendigo and can find the footy, winning 41 possessions in one game last year. He’s not afraid to tackle either.

Payne (L) and Hare (R) will feature in teal this season. Picture: Peel Thunder/Facebook

Payne (L) and Hare (R) will feature in teal this season. Picture: Peel Thunder/Facebook
Jacob Blight, Claremont: The key defender was in line for a shock recall when Claremont’s back line stocks took a hit in finals last year but instead he helped steer the reserves to a preliminary final. Blight started his junior career in Pinjarra just east of Mandurah and adds to Peel’s group of emerging players set to benefit from Fremantle’s weekly presence.

Matthew Payne, Western Jets: Payne joins Peel from the NAB League, having where he earned a reputation as a damaging and quick small forward. Payne won the agility test at the 2022 Victorian draft combine and finished second in the 20 metre sprint but was overlooked on draft night. He models his game on Sydney’s Tom Papley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Draper only 19? Maybe still has a bit of growing to do. To those that have seen him..does he get involved a lot or still working it out?

We would get belted if we ran with 18 dockers all year then only 12 for finals though
Tbh that's kind of the point is it not?

That looks to me as if it strikes the ultimate balance, we get to play full seconds developing them for the AFL and we don't list an AFL team during the finals and stomp everyone to a WAFL premiership.

Probably makes a mockery of Peel, but it already does in a way..

Tbh that's kind of the point is it not?

That looks to me as if it strikes the ultimate balance, we get to play full seconds developing them for the AFL and we don't list an AFL team during the finals and stomp everyone to a WAFL premiership.

Probably makes a mockery of Peel, but it already does in a way..
I understand us not being allowed 18 in finals but it would be shocking for the competition if we were one of the best teams all year then all of a sudden we are easy beats in finals, would reward whoever gets us in the finals for no reason, if the reason we have less players in finals is for integrity then it works the other way too where us being easy beats ruins integrity

I understand us not being allowed 18 in finals but it would be shocking for the competition if we were one of the best teams all year then all of a sudden we are easy beats in finals, would reward whoever gets us in the finals for no reason, if the reason we have less players in finals is for integrity then it works the other way too where us being easy beats ruins integrity

The other clubs are quite happy with the latter lack of integrity though, while kicking up a massive fuss about the former.

It's self-interest pure and simple, and Peel is outvoted 8-1.

Josh Draper only 19? Maybe still has a bit of growing to do. To those that have seen him..does he get involved a lot or still working it out?
Everything I’ve seen and heard of Draper has me quietly excited. I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do for Peel.

Caught the tail end of the Peel Thunder coach just interviewed by Duffield.

Sounds like Port will be bringing over players from their two squads from AFL and SANFL in a couple of weeks so that the AFL players that don't get selected will be playing in a Peel vs Port scratch match.

Thats awesome news

Most we’ve ever had is 2 or at most 3 in the magoo’s I think , a clean bill of health is almost impossible

Games at WAFL level should be earned anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back