FadeAway

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United
I’ve been a Collingwood member for 25 years. I’m 42, I love Collingwood. If I was told back in March that we’d be 2 games clear on top of the ladder I’d take it hands down. We all would. 100%.

Given the high standards, 2 losses in a row and how we lost yesterday has supporters up in arms. Some have balance in their view while a lot just don’t. The hate on Daicos more broadly is the sad reality of where society is at.

A balanced constructive view:

- our defenders have been aggressively pushing high up the ground all year. We’ve now been caught out in the last two weeks. Carlton and Hawthorn have pressed high and aggressively. The pressure creates turn overs and we get caught out.

- kick outs from Defense are simply not working, the long kick down the line is a repeatable tactic I’d say because we are backing ourselves to win the stoppage clearance if we can’t mark it. Our mids arn’t winning it so it’s a repeat entry for the opposition.

- yesterday kicks were falling short, players are turning it over and it looks like our pressure is off.

- as great as Daicos is, a 20 year old can’t be Collingwood’s ace in the hole, there’s an opportunity for someone else to step into that midfield and create a contest.

There’s plenty of time for Collingwood to turn it around with 3 games left before finals footy. We’d want to win 2 out of the last 3 to get some momentum.

I’ve been a Collingwood member for 25 years. I’m 42, I love Collingwood. If I was told back in March that we’d be 2 games clear on top of the ladder I’d take it hands down. We all would. 100%.

Given the high standards, 2 losses in a row and how we lost yesterday has supporters up in arms. Some have balance in their view while a lot just don’t. The hate on Daicos more broadly is the sad reality of where society is at.

- our defenders have been aggressively pushing high up the ground all year. We’ve now been caught out in the last two weeks. Carlton and Hawthorn have pressed high and aggressively. The pressure creates turn overs and we get caught out.

- kick outs from Defense are simply not working, the long kick down the line is a repeatable tactic I’d say because we are backing ourselves to win the stoppage clearance if we can’t mark it. Our mids arn’t winning it so it’s a repeat entry for the opposition.

- yesterday kicks were falling short, players are turning it over and it looks like our pressure is off.

- as great as Daicos is, a 20 year old can’t be Collingwood’s ace in the hole, there’s an opportunity for someone else to step into that midfield and create a contest.

There’s plenty of time for Collingwood to turn it around with 3 games left before finals footy. We’d want to win 2 out of the last 3 to get some momentum.
Backs to the wall win against Geelong is the tonic we need.

So how do we remedy this?

Fly tried Beau and Bruzzy at cb to no avail.

Not sure our pressure is off, it looks like oppo teams have adopted our trademark close space game and creating turnover from pressuring our transition, and because, as you said, our defenders are pushing high up we get exposed on that turnover. Hence the hawks 59 i50 to our 43.

Beat us at our supposed own game.

Not sure there is an answer, because our 1 wood is being dissected by the oppo.:shrug:

Not sure our pressure is off, it looks like oppo teams have adopted our trademark close space game and creating turnover from pressuring our transition, and because, as you said, our defenders are pushing high up we get exposed on that turnover. Hence the hawks 59 i50 to our 43.

Not sure there is an answer, because our 1 wood is being dissected by the oppo.:shrug:
I thought Beau looked very useful in the middle.

It’s a bit hard for them to come in and change the game when it’s already over. If they actually trained there and we set up around it we might get better results.

Against Port we conceded just 66 marks.
Against Carlton we conceded 96
Against Hawthorn we conceded 139 & conceded 141 in the VFL today against a stand alone team.
If you don't contest the ball in the air, you aren't going to get the footy back.

It’s a bit hard for them to come in and change the game when it’s already over. If they actually trained there and we set up around it we might get better results.
Goes to show, we tried other options, which you've stated they train in and it didn't work against a mid group that arguably ours is better in the first place.

Agreed, could be something to work with going forward, not sure it'll fix our woes in the here and now where we need it.

Beau Adds Speed which our Midfield Lacks at the Moment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies for sounding like a broken record but it hasn’t just been these last couple of weeks.

Not sure why everyone keeps ignoring this

The last 2 weeks are a culmination of:

- All round mediocre form relying on bursts of “our game” to get us over the line

- Poor man management leading to tired older players that look every bit their age

- Poor “selection integrity” all season long where senior players who should have been dropped weren’t and players who should have been selected…weren’t.

- Now copping injuries right at the pointy end

All of the above has led to us playing poorly at the worst time of the H&A season with no genuine depth to now cover all the injuries we’re copping because we’ve spent all season not getting games into the players we should have been

How do we manage to salvage this season?

We most likely don’t.

But outside that sad reality, we pray like hell that we just…flick a switch?

Apologies for sounding like a broken record but it hasn’t just been these last couple of weeks.

- All round mediocre form relying on bursts of “our game” to get us over the line

- Poor man management leading to tired older players that look every bit their age

- Poor “selection integrity” all season long where senior players who should have been dropped weren’t and players who should have been selected…weren’t.

All of the above has led to us playing poorly at the worst time of the H&A season with no genuine depth to now cover all the injuries we’re copping because we’ve spent all season not getting games into the players we should have been

We most likely don’t.

We salvage the season by beating Geelong.

Which would require the aforementioned “flicking of the switch”

That’s the issue
We just need a spark. Players like De Goey and Elliott can provide that.

Of course there is an answer. There always is. I highly doubt anyone here is going to be able to come up with it however.

We most likely don’t.

We know a team will win the GF

Every team this year has had flat/down periods

The sum of our performances means we are 2 games clear, ie our flat periods are less than others

A lot of our players can lift

Reasonable chance they are doing large training loads to increase our strength and fitness

We will see

Would rather be in our position than any other club’s position

(Pessimists die on average 7 years younger than optimists)

We most likely don’t.

Given the entire top 4 are playing pretty underwhelming football right now, is there anyone you see as being capable of "flicking the switch"? Or should we be bracing for a 2016 repeat in your eyes?

I agree we're playing horrible football right now, but who is?

At the end of the day, when the whips crack at the start of September, I'd rather be in our position than anyone else's

We most likely don’t.
I liked the rest of your post but I think you’re going early here.

The pre finals by will help us and we’ve been so bad the last couple of weeks that the coaches can’t ignore our weakness anymore. Nick Daicos is a big out but was ineffectual the last three weeks. His injury gives us the chance to rejig the midfield around the next few weeks. Murphy’s injury gives us a chance to include your boy Frampton and set up the backline around him as the deepest defender.

We’re definitely hamstrung by how lateness in the season is and how little our depth is tested but it’s not impossible to dig us out of the hole. And our saving grace is the other teams around us are going through similar issues of poor form.

Surely our boys are hurting and thinking about the possibility of another dominant season going down the drain. I'll be shattered if we don't see an energised, angry team attacking the game with aggression on Friday regardless of the outcome.

Some people in footy circles who barrack hard fail to see reality. Example, I want mccreery to win this clearance, but he didn't therefore this won't work and it is the end of the world. Your desire is not a good judge of progress. It is a sign you want something so bad like a kid in a candy store who's mum says no you can't have it and the kid says I don't love you anymore. So now this side has to make some candy for you. How about going without some candy for a while. Judge the team at seasons end. We doubt them so.much and they always surprise us. Just take a breath ffs. And if we don't win it fk it we gave it a shake and we'll go again. First 2 games clear home final. Our young gun wounded. So now everyone will lift even more, I can feel it but ffs let's not throw the whole side out. They've been awesome in their chaos football. Back em in. In 02 I remember our form was poor and we travelled to Port Adelaide with Nathan buckley sidelined. We did the business paul licuria walked off completely spent. These boys will give it a red hot go.

Isn’t this exactly what the AFL want, a race for the finals where there is no outright favourite. All teams going through ups and downs. Is this season exactly what the equalisation of footy has been all about all these years? Hawks had a dynasty with a great side but there’s been no team like them since. Yes the tigs won 3 but honestly was it a great side, no but they grabbed their chances where others didn’t (us) I think we are past midnight on the premiership clock so we better make this one count. Nick is Pendles and Sidey in 2010, win one now or wait a decade to re-establish a new bunch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back