Perth glory- robbed

Remove this Banner Ad

The footage from behind the goal shows it clearly. Some people on here are in denial. Berisha's fall and stupid premature celebration have nothing to do with it. The rules of the game state that Miller's actions are a foul and the act occurred inside the box.

Clear-cut penalty. Great decision.

For those bleating that there will now have to be 10 pens given each game, please show us the game in which there are 10 contentious non-calls of this nature. Holding, shirt-pulling, yes, but not clips from behind.

Pity about the offside non-call.

The fact is soccer is faultless for all those brought up on the pommy culture. Imagine if you added up how many manchester united games per year are decided by diving/falls in the box- is it enough to get them the championship if those penalties were never given? Does that make their championship tainted? not as far as the media is concerned.
Imagine if they beat Manchester City to the championship by 2 points and after they "win" one of their players states, "yep, i dived in that game, that one and that one ...and that gave us nine points...I am glad we did it". It goes on and on as the rewards are too great.

Getting back to the soccer match in this country - the fact is the "contact" to his foot was not enough to force any man to ground. If you can't see that - you are in denial.

It was to his benefit to fall to ground - hence the dramatic fall. It was not to his benefit to keep his feet. That is the key fact.

Getting back to the soccer match in this country - the fact is the "contact" to his foot was not enough to force any man to ground. If you can't see that - you are in denial.

It was to his benefit to fall to ground - hence the dramatic fall. It was not to his benefit to keep his feet. That is the key fact.

Again with this falling to the ground contention. The falling to the ground did not bring about the penalty. The contact moving the leg, which in turn stood on the ball, which in turn moved the ball and affected the strike is why the penalty was awarded. There is every reason to think that if he continued to stumble forward and kept his feet, the ref would still be pointing to the spot. People are getting hung up on irrelevancies.

The fall was not that dramatic. He got crossed up trying to adjust to accommodate a ball that had moved during is backswing and thus was no longer where he had lined it up at. He had an airy which affected his balance and he went to ground. He didn't flap his wings, do a half pike, lay on the ground as though injured, none of that. He did immediately put his hand up to let the ref know there was contact though.

Not sure how anybody can say there was clearly no contact.

Berishacontactcloseup.jpg

Here's the sideline view of the offside call. Angles of the body going different direction but you could reasonably argue that Berisha's back leg is in line with front leg of the defender at the top of the box. Not so easy for the linesman now is it?

Berishaoffside.jpg

The issue then becomes, how the hell did Gillett see it from his position? Unless he has got some sort of Superman vision, when he can see through Miller's falling body, he would have to have been guessing and basing his decision on the reaction of Berisha.

The ref had a direct view from behind where Berisha was so he could see that Miller was no chance of getting the ball but still lunged at Berisha from behind which makes the decision very easy for him.

You guys are slow on the uptake. His left foot was moved by contact from behind which forced it into the path of the ball, displacing the ball and impeding him from his shooting technique. This is why it was a foul because he was about to get a 1v1 shot on open goal and the guy behind had no chance of getting the ball and slided desperately to impede Berisha which he did.

So basically you would agree that if you touch another player it is fraught with danger if you do it in the box. The disadvantage of touching any player in the box far outweighs any advantages.

That touch in the box could be rubbing an arm (which may result in a player losing balance and falling to the ground). That touch could be a tap of miniscule amount to someone's boot (he may as a result fall dramatically to the ground), that touch could be a hand on a shoulder (resulting in his opponent falling to the ground dramatically again).

You see a commonality here?

I doubt it. I give up on this topic. At first I enjoyed debating with people, but after a while it becomes boring....no doubt for you as much as me.

So basically you would agree that if you touch another player it is fraught with danger if you do it in the box. The disadvantage of touching any player in the box far outweighs any advantages.

That touch in the box could be rubbing an arm (which may result in a player losing balance and falling to the ground). That touch could be a tap of miniscule amount to someone's boot (he may as a result fall dramatically to the ground), that touch could be a hand on a shoulder (resulting in his opponent falling to the ground dramatically again).

You see a commonality here?

I doubt it. I give up on this topic. At first I enjoyed debating with clueless people, but after a while it becomes boring....no doubt for you as much as me.

So you'd equate two players jostling for the ball shoulder to shoulder on equal terms, to a diving tackle from behind? It's the cardinal sin in football and it short of a hand ball, has no real peer in that situation.

I think Foxsports fc summed it all up pretty well tonight. Anyone who still thinks it wasn't a penalty is either a Perth fan or a member of the flat earth society. Ang said it perfectly when he said Perth fans will always dispute the penalty as the team is their passion.

Gerard Wheately also made a good point, when saying this is the A League's Wayne Harmes moment...an incident to fuel a great rivalry between the teams, something that will be debated and argued for years and it is a positive, not a negative to the codes future.

It was a fantastic day, full of great incident and tremendous atmosphere and I'm certainly glad I'll always be able to say I was there.

Hopefully the three peat is on :D

I think Foxsports fc summed it all up pretty well tonight. Anyone who still thinks it wasn't a penalty is either a Perth fan or a member of the flat earth society. Ang said it perfectly when he said Perth fans will always dispute the penalty as the team is their passion.

Yeah like most I didn’t think there was contact let alone a penalty at the time but the super slow-mo replays show what a great call by the reff it was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think there was no contact and I've watched it a heap of times. It is so inconclusive either way.

Also Boro, stop being a troll about it. There is nothing wrong with people thinking it the other way. No wonder people don't like QLDers if they are all as cocky as you.

I don't understand how you come to that conclusion. The replay confirms beyond doubt that Miller tripped Berisha. There is no argument to suggest that it wasn't a foul.

I still think there was no contact and I've watched it a heap of times. It is so inconclusive either way.

Also Boro, stop being a troll about it. There is nothing wrong with people thinking it the other way. No wonder people don't like QLDers if they are all as cocky as you.

I'm not a troll. Far from it. My side has just won back to back titles though, so yeah, I'm pretty happy and proud about it :thumbsu:

I have no problem with people thinking it's not a penalty, no contact etc, but I have the right to tell them they are wrong, just as you have the right to keep crying about it :) Lets face facts though, you absolutely hate Brisbane Roar, you've gone on and on and on about it all season long. When we've been kicked off the park, every free kick we get is a dive according to you. When we get 70% of the free kicks in a game (along with having 70% of possession) the refs are cheating according to you. You hardly have a balanced view. That's fine, I understand that as I've never seen a Newcastle United player get a legitimate free kick in my life :p but I think we can take any opinion you have on the incident with a little scepticism.

If you don't agree with any of that, I can accept it Bradesmaen, but do your best to not get personal with the retort eh. Argue the facts not the man :) Everyone loves Qld'ers...that's why everyone moves here isn't it? :p

Bumping thread

Andy Harper is currently on air still defending the penalty decision!

I'm sure deep down he knows it was wrong or he still wouldn't feel obliged to defend it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back