Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care what people say about it being a good economic model, the ludicrous price of attending AFL football in Perth is a stain. You should not have to pay that much money to embark on a very normal, important, rite of passage. I see kids in Melbourne, sitting together after getting the train into the city, in big groups watching the footy with their best mates – it's impossible for people of any age to enjoy that here. And you can say what you want, but to be able to see the footy with your friends is a very, very cool thing. The highlights of my weekends were being at games with my mates.

Unfortunately, the way West and South Australia are, it's just way too hard to equitably manage this.

The next best step is simply not a $50 rort on supporters and members. That's just insane. This isn't the Premier League where you're seeing multi-million dollar athletes run around. I understand it's professional, elite, and there's a supply and demand around it, but come on. It really has to be fixed.

So you pay less, who misses out ?

Top quality sport should be, & is expensive - 2nd div is damn cheap, its just some want more for less. The problems of Melbourne clubs $wise is there for all to see. I think the problem is not WA, not SA, its Melbourne, Melbourne not Geelong, the MCC & AFL competing for members with footy fans who join the club they support.
Ring the silent alarm, you need to address your perceived problem ... if you love your footy attending the WAFL colts with your mates to see the stars of tomorrow for $very little, might be the best you can do, but do you seriously want the the best for very little?

The wafl should go back to what they used to do in the 70s and 80s when teams had a home game, an away game, and the 3rd game at the neutral league headquarters which was subi then and will be burswood come 2018. I think then, in that stadium, the majority of people, families etc, will be ableto go to a great stadium, watch some fairly good standard wafl games, and get to enjoy some good crowds and what folks in melb can do,sit where they want (mostly), with friends.

If they do that, I think the knock on effects to overall wafl crowds would be good.

Edit: back then it was 8 teams,so the season was 7 home, 7 away and 7 neutral. With 9 teams now? it wouldn't be as clean, but you get my gist. Have a game a week at burswood. Even a Friday night game most weeks would be good,plus with no eastern tv commitments,it wouldn't have to start near peak traffic, it could start at 710pm or 740pm.

Does the taxpayer provide the stadium for $nothing, volunteers man the gates & car parks, someone donates food & drinks, first in gets the best super boxes ... over the top?
Why do fans need the best of facilities? The game is worth sitting on a bank, sitting, standing, its a great game !!

The State Government has released a draft of it's Burswood peninsula structural plan.

2uq0fhf.jpg

Does the taxpayer provide the stadium for $nothing, volunteers man the gates & car parks, someone donates food & drinks, first in gets the best super boxes ... over the top?
Why do fans need the best of facilities? The game is worth sitting on a bank, sitting, standing, its a great game !!
Wouldn't the stadium operators want to earn as much revenue from events as they could?
22 afl games, say 18 wafl games, plus say 10 concerts gets the number of events up to about 50. Throw in some rugby and soccer and you get to the magical figures of 60-70 that you need to make the place viable for the operators, and ultimate owners the govt = taxpayers.
Wafl crowds are stagnant. This could be a boost in the arm.
Wafl clubs may be able to sell some boxes too.

The State Government has released a draft of it's Burswood peninsula structural plan.

2uq0fhf.jpg

I love how far the Perth CBD and inner suburbs have come over the last 10 years. Hopefully we continue to deliver with big projects like this, the $5.2B of new buildings on Wellington Street, the two new inlets (but they should be bigger and better than claisebrook (where I live)), followed by the WACA and Gloucester Park redevelopments.

Wouldn't the stadium operators want to earn as much revenue from events as they could?
22 afl games, say 18 wafl games, plus say 10 concerts gets the number of events up to about 50. Throw in some rugby and soccer and you get to the magical figures of 60-70 that you need to make the place viable for the operators, and ultimate owners the govt = taxpayers.
Wafl crowds are stagnant. This could be a boost in the arm.
Wafl clubs may be able to sell some boxes too.

You across the losses at Etihad? You need a crowd to break even, a crowd not an event.

The WAFC should lean on the AFL for more games in Perth, taking loss making games in Melbourne involving the WA clubs to Perth where they will turn a profit. Tie it into the stadium management role for the WAFC - a quid pro quo deal for WA fans propping up unfinancial Melbourne clubs & that is something that could be used to sort out the financial fiasco that is the Adelaide Oval stadium management deal.

Last edited:
So where's the stadium bus and train stations? Is it the bridged one across from the highway and next to the track? Or is it the D-shaped set of buildings to the left of the stadium? Regardless, if that's a walkbridge connecting the peninsula to East Perth, could that benefit the WACA? Surely -people are going to take the Burswood train to go to the cricket?

So where's the stadium bus and train stations? Is it the bridged one across from the highway and next to the track? Or is it the D-shaped set of buildings to the left of the stadium? Regardless, if that's a walkbridge connecting the peninsula to East Perth, could that benefit the WACA? Surely -people are going to take the Burswood train to go to the cricket?
Train station is along the Fwy next to the track. Would still be a shorter walk to the WACA by getting off at Claisebrook.

You across the losses at Etihad? You need a crowd to break even, a crowd not an event.

The WAFC should lean on the AFL for more games in Perth, taking loss making games in Melbourne involving the WA clubs to Perth where they will turn a profit. Tie it into the stadium management role for the WAFC - a quid pro quo deal for WA fans propping up unfinancial Melbourne clubs & that is something that could be used to sort out the financial fiasco that is the Adelaide Oval stadium management deal.
I agree they should do that too.do you think they could get 25-30 for a say melb or nm home game? Would that be the sort of crowd you would expect?
I reckon a regular fri night wafl game could get 15ish.
What would a crowd needto be to break even? Probably too early to say as no management contract signed.

Not shown in this picture. But it's just to the left of Vic Park Drive in that photo.

Not really. WACA really needs a light rail connection. :cry:

I agree they should do that too.do you think they could get 25-30 for a say melb or nm home game? Would that be the sort of crowd you would expect?
I reckon a regular fri night wafl game could get 15ish.
What would a crowd needto be to break even? Probably too early to say as no management contract signed.

I'd think a NM or Melbourne home played in Perth v a local AFL side , i.e not a ticketed Dockers or Eagles game would pull 40+, an opportunity for non club members who arent willing or able to get a seasons ticket with a reserved seat to see their side perform.

Cant see a WAFL ever pull a financially viable crowd as things stand.

Agreed.

Should the AFL fall apart, though...

IF the AFL were to be the elite competition it was to be, 2nd div footy would have a role for the fan, particularly that time of life where families go to games, aka fathers indoctrinating their kids in the way of life passed on from their own dads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol **** the FFA. They don't want anything to do with Perth.
Dead right LTG.
The hide of that clown Gallop is remarkable, the FFA have completely ignored Perth forever and a day and now suddenly think they should christen the new stadium with a team that has a current world ranking around 100, the worst in its history! :rolleyes:
Depending on when the stadium is finished eg late 2017 it could potentially well have either an AFL final, WAFL GF or an International cricket match as the first played there.

Gallop is a moron. Supposedly he was over here for the FFA Cup match on Wednesday night and didn't stay for the whole match. He left early to go and see The Rolling Stones apparently.

Gallop is achieving plenty for soccer compared to his NRL role - many things Gallop is but moron is not one of them. By comparison Demetriou pulled Gallops pants down, but since the changes in roles, its Gunna Gil McLachlan stumbling over his trousers these days.
Has Gunna sorted out the Adelaide Oval finances yet, or the ticketing fiasco or the price of a pie at the footy - that'd be NO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back