Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really sure how this proposed hill thing will work at Optus for the cricket - is it gunna be at the end baked in the sun all day? if so they will have replicated the WACA perfectly šŸ¤£

I was thinking same thing. I bet they do it in the sun. Farce

We struggle for governments to build seated stadiums and then they do this.
What's the issue? The stadium isn't going to attract 60,000 people so temporarily taking out seating to improve the experience is hardly a problem. Now, as people say, it needs to be in the shaded end. Would be an enjoyable day at the cricket.

What's the issue? The stadium isn't going to attract 60,000 people so temporarily taking out seating to improve the experience is hardly a problem. Now, as people say, it needs to be in the shaded end. Would be an enjoyable day at the cricket.

I have absolutely no problem with cricket paying for this ridiculous event.
It ranks up there with the swimming pool idea as desperation.
If you cannot enjoy cricket without these tricks then forget it.
I enjoy sitting in a seated stadium.

Where could it have possibly been built in the CBD without massive issues?

Even the Subi redevelopment deal would have been horrific for traffic/public around that part of the city.

Optus is current what? a 10 minute free train ride back into the CBD after an event. If people want to go back into the city centre is not that difficult to do.

The sad fact is most of the CBD is still massively unappealing to everyone.
Only site really is Perth Convention Centre. Government wouldnā€™t dare touch that and public would be filthy redevelop that site.

For me, Langley Park is perfect. 500-1.5 k from CBD. Empty grass block right on the river.

On the news tonite they said it would be at the river end so it will be in the shade most of the day. Bays 127-129 I reckon.

Hereā€™s a pic of the proposed look

View attachment 1847513
I'm guessing it's trying to be like the Gabba Pool Deck without the pool.

How come, may I ask?
Curious and pretty dull tbh having a huge grassed block that close to the river and city. Who owns it?
The government (the people) own it. Not every square inch of the CBD needs to be concrete. Perth has an amazing river running through it, Langley Park is great place from which to view it. It can be used for temporary events without removing one of the last great green public spaces in the city.

Curious and pretty dull tbh having a huge grassed block that close to the river and city.

It is a lot of open space but it is too narrow to build a stadium on the playing fields, but could have been built at the eastern end or reclaimed a bit of the river, or Elizabeth Quay site, Convention Centre site, Entertainment Centre site, Harbour Town site to name just a few.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

should have said something when they built the Northbridge connection, Convention centre, Entertainment Centre, Elizabeth Quay etc.
???

I said not every square inch needs to be concrete, but it's still a CBD, much of it will be. There was certainly some controversy with the location of the Convention Centre, likewise Elizabeth Quay, but with retention of Langley Park and the South Park foreshore, Kings Park on top of the hill, we probably have the balance just about right. We still need to build up to reduce the urban sprawl.

It is a lot of open space but it is too narrow to build a stadium on the playing fields, but could have been built at the eastern end or reclaimed a bit of the river, or Elizabeth Quay site, Convention Centre site, Entertainment Centre site, Harbour Town site to name just a few.
Both Harbour Town and the site next to Perth Arena where Yagan Square is wouldve be great. However the Perth train station is a mess around Wellington St with the horseshoe bridge. Probably too limited and impactful around the CBD.

The Perth Convention centre shouldā€™ve been it. Train station already linked, large enough site. Next to the river. Probably a tad ugly given its immediate proximity to the Freeway.

The current location of Perth Stadium is fine the way it is. Would be fantastic to add a 25-30k rectangular stadium behind The Camfield to link the area. The current HBF Park is dull and limited

The government (the people) own it. Not every square inch of the CBD needs to be concrete. Perth has an amazing river running through it, Langley Park is great place from which to view it. It can be used for temporary events without removing one of the last great green public spaces in the city.
True, that is a good point. Wouldnā€™t hold my breath on the Government keeping it that way in the years to come. Some major corporation will offer to buy it, and a price will be too tempting to ignore

True, that is a good point. Wouldnā€™t hold my breath on the Government keeping it that way in the years to come. Some major corporation will offer to buy it, and a price will be too tempting to ignore
There's been talk of building on Langley Park for decades and it's always been rejected. The more we build up around Elizabeth Quay, the safer I think it will be as it really is the last green space in the city. I think the fundamentals are in place for Perth, the stadium location is fine as it makes for one of the most picturesque stadiums in the world. Maybe they will eventually knock the tennis centre over and build a rectangular stadium there if there's enough space, or alternatively knock Gloucester Park over and build it there, with Matagarup Bridge connecting the precinct. Building the new university between Yagan Square and the Arena will bring that stretch to life.

There really needs to be a long-term plan developed for the city. It doesn't have to be followed to the letter if better ideas come up, but it should guide the structure and shape of the city in years to come.

should have said something when they built the Northbridge connection, Convention centre, Entertainment Centre, Elizabeth Quay etc.
Why, Langley park has been designated as the connection between the CBD and it's river for ever. Elizabeth Quay was seen as an extension of this role (agree with it or not), the convention centre was a mistake, and was plonked as close to the freeway as possible, to get it out of the way, so they could say it DIDN'T infringe on Langley park.

But Optus stadium, in Langley park, puts a great big stadium between the city and the river, you cannot hide it.

You may as well say build it in Queens Park. Plenty of free space there, liven it up.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why, Langley park has been designated as the connection between the CBD and it's river for ever. Elizabeth Quay was seen as an extension of this role (agree with it or not),

How is building high and restaurants rise on the river front any different to building a stadium ?
Elizabeth Quay blocks access just like infilling the Northbridge link which could have become a "central park".
the convention centre was a mistake, and was plonked as close to the freeway as possible,

Could have been plonked close to the freeway anywhere like Stirling.
to get it out of the way, so they could say it DIDN'T infringe on Langley park.

Like Elizabeth Quay impinges on Langley Park.
Langley Park is a long stretch of land and the stadium could have been built to enhance the riverfront.

But Optus stadium, in Langley park, puts a great big stadium between the city and the river, you cannot hide it.

Like Optus Stadium doesn't stand out at Burswood - you can hardly mss it.
IMO the only good thing about the location of Optus Oval is that it does indeed stand out.
It's a selling point, an advertising point - hey look at this great stadium we have.

You may as well say build it in Queens Park. Plenty of free space there, liven it up.

Now you being stupid - Queens Park is not in the city or a transport hub.

Both Harbour Town and the site next to Perth Arena where Yagan Square is wouldve be great.

Getting too narrow around Yagan Square.

However the Perth train station is a mess around Wellington St with the horseshoe bridge.

That's why everyone would be able to use public gtransport with not upgrades needed.

Probably too limited and impactful around the CBD.

The PCC would LOVE an extra 50,000 people a week coming into the CBD.

The current location of Perth Stadium is fine the way it is.

It's in a prominent position but the location added $1 billion to the cost and now there is a large
ongoing running cost which wouldn't be required if the stadium was in the CBD.

we probably have the balance just about right.

When they "sunk" the railway and replaced that barrier with buildings we lost an excellent opportunity to have a little green space in the heart of the CBD without trudging down to the river.
The idea was to open up NorthBridge and that failed miserably.

I attended the Adelaide-Fremantle game Easter weekend.

I used to vote for this stadium as best in Australia due to what is seen on tv makes it look the best as it looked like the best of what you see in the multi billion dollar stadiums in the US.

The races giving that close fan interactive feel to it, the elevated seating over the benches, personal cup holders.

But now experiencing it, I did not like it.

The only ground further from the CBD is the Gabba. Long walk and I was staying at the Novotel on Adelaide Terrace. So I was even in a convenient location by comparison to most of the city. Wouldn't be walkable for the office workers on a Thursday or Friday Night game unlike Adelaide/Melbourne and even Sydney to a lessar degree

The footbridge is poorly designed and obviously a 'lets make a landmark from nothing' and not actually designed well. Why put islands in the middle when it's already thinner than Adelaide? And why let pro-Ukrainian activists on it when it's being used for fans? You've made a s**t bridge even worse.

It had a Football Park vibe to it. Far enough away there's nothing really close to it.

Again, Football Park vibes in that you enter through the gates and you're still not in the stadium. You have a ring around it with food stalls.

Not disabled friendly in some ways. I entered gate D, and you're met with a huge staircase. Cool, I'm fine, my dad's fine. But when my parents went to Kennedy's last game a few years back, my mum would have struggled. I asked my dad, she had to stop 4 times going up that staircase. Where were the facilities for those who struggle with even stairs?

Signage is terrible. You enter gate D know you have to get to top tier dead center wing. How do I get there? I walk towards the wing, can't find an escalator. Walked a third of the way around the stadium? Useless. I could've gone the other way and got to an escalator in half the time. But minimal signage and direction I didn't know to go that way. And by the time I found the escalator at the Eastern End, the signage is pointing in the vague direction, and it's a maze to get around the toilets/food stalls to get to them. And they're not designed well for fluid movement to higher levels. You're zigzagging all over the place.

Food is stupid expensive. That's about double as AO?!?!?!

Stalls are manned illogically. Adelaide Oval tried that s**t for 2 years, lost all efficiency and had to go back to the old designs thankfully just before gather round v1.0. So wait times are extremely long for service at the breaks. And the space isn't there in these areas for a more efficient design. There's lines going all over the place, intersecting with each other. It's a cluster f*ck

The legroom at seats are already less than Adelaide Oval, and then you add cupholders as well? It's already uncomfortable, and the cupholders just become tripping hazards when you need to go to the toilet and/or get food and/or get drinks

Alcohol is stupid expensive. I didn't actually realise it initially. As the cost was the same as Adelaide oval, but then I realised after the fact. The price was the same, but it was 15oz mid-strength beers at OS for the same price as 20oz full-strength beers at AO.

The flow out of the stadium was poor. It felt all the modes for transport are on the southern side. Train south-east, bus/walk south-west. You come out those southern gates and there's a massive flow problem with people going in opposite directions.

It honestly felt like the worst of the MCG (oversized for half their tenants) combined with the worst of Marvel Stadium (Back of house areas cramped) combined with the worst of the SCG (ineffective food/drink stalls) combined with the worst of the Gabba (far enough away from accommodation that walking starts to become questionable) with the worst of American Stadiums (high pricing) with the worst of Football park (s**t facilities around the stadium)

Cool, the light show at 3/4 time was nice. Cool, the entrance way for the 2 home teams are sweet. Cool, there's an elevated area over the bench so you don't see all these empty seats due to obstructed vision. So on tv, it looks good.

But in reality, it's probably the worst major stadium in the AFL. (I haven't attended Giants Stadium since its renovations. So that is perhaps the only one that could be worse)

Quite disappointing considering it's the most expensive and newest stadium in the country.

I used to vote for this stadium as best in Australia due to what is seen on tv makes it look the best as it looked like the best of what you see in the multi billion dollar stadiums in the US.

The races giving that close fan interactive feel to it, the elevated seating over the benches, personal cup holders.

The only ground further from the CBD is the Gabba. Long walk and I was staying at the Novotel on Adelaide Terrace. So I was even in a convenient location by comparison to most of the city. Wouldn't be walkable for the office workers on a Thursday or Friday Night game unlike Adelaide/Melbourne and even Sydney to a lessar degree

The footbridge is poorly designed and obviously a 'lets make a landmark from nothing' and not actually designed well. Why put islands in the middle when it's already thinner than Adelaide? And why let pro-Ukrainian activists on it when it's being used for fans? You've made a s**t bridge even worse.

It had a Football Park vibe to it. Far enough away there's nothing really close to it.

Again, Football Park vibes in that you enter through the gates and you're still not in the stadium. You have a ring around it with food stalls.

Not disabled friendly in some ways. I entered gate D, and you're met with a huge staircase. Cool, I'm fine, my dad's fine. But when my parents went to Kennedy's last game a few years back, my mum would have struggled. I asked my dad, she had to stop 4 times going up that staircase. Where were the facilities for those who struggle with even stairs?

Signage is terrible. You enter gate D know you have to get to top tier dead center wing. How do I get there? I walk towards the wing, can't find an escalator. Walked a third of the way around the stadium? Useless. I could've gone the other way and got to an escalator in half the time. But minimal signage and direction I didn't know to go that way. And by the time I found the escalator at the Eastern End, the signage is pointing in the vague direction, and it's a maze to get around the toilets/food stalls to get to them. And they're not designed well for fluid movement to higher levels. You're zigzagging all over the place.

Stalls are manned illogically. Adelaide Oval tried that s**t for 2 years, lost all efficiency and had to go back to the old designs thankfully just before gather round v1.0. So wait times are extremely long for service at the breaks. And the space isn't there in these areas for a more efficient design. There's lines going all over the place, intersecting with each other. It's a cluster f*ck

The legroom at seats are already less than Adelaide Oval, and then you add cupholders as well? It's already uncomfortable, and the cupholders just become tripping hazards when you need to go to the toilet and/or get food and/or get drinks

Alcohol is stupid expensive. I didn't actually realise it initially. As the cost was the same as Adelaide oval, but then I realised after the fact. The price was the same, but it was 15oz mid-strength beers at OS for the same price as 20oz full-strength beers at AO.

The flow out of the stadium was poor. It felt all the modes for transport are on the southern side. Train south-east, bus/walk south-west. You come out those southern gates and there's a massive flow problem with people going in opposite directions.

It honestly felt like the worst of the MCG (oversized for half their tenants) combined with the worst of Marvel Stadium (Back of house areas cramped) combined with the worst of the SCG (ineffective food/drink stalls) combined with the worst of the Gabba (far enough away from accommodation that walking starts to become questionable) with the worst of American Stadiums (high pricing) with the worst of Football park (s**t facilities around the stadium)

Cool, the light show at 3/4 time was nice. Cool, the entrance way for the 2 home teams are sweet. Cool, there's an elevated area over the bench so you don't see all these empty seats due to obstructed vision. So on tv, it looks good.

But in reality, it's probably the worst major stadium in the AFL. (I haven't attended Giants Stadium since its renovations. So that is perhaps the only one that could be worse)

Quite disappointing considering it's the most expensive and newest stadium in the country.

Iā€™m not sure if this is satire or not.

Itā€™s 4km from that hotel to the ground and there are regular buses available that drop you at the door, if you didnā€™t want to walk through East Perth.

Apart from the food and drink prices (which are terrible in Adelaide too) I canā€™t even begin to unpack how much crap is written in your review.

Iā€™m not a Mark McGowan loving/ā€œBen Cousins just fell in with the wrong crowdā€ nuffy West Aussie, I can be objective and have attended all major main land venues. Adelaide Oval is right up there too I might add.

But Optus Stadium (Along with Marvel) are 1 and 2 as venues for football all things considered, if you take the pure size and prestige of the MCG out.

Your review (if serious) is truly inaccurate, ridiculous and Iā€™d suggest disingenuous which anyone thinking of checking it out should ignore.

Football Park vibes??? If you want those vibes go to the older (heritage stand excluded) sections of the SCG.
Optus Stadium is the best stadium I've been to in the country by a mile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back