Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

How does it work? Do you get to pick your seat if you had one at Domain? Do they allocate in a "best fit" position based on a disad vantage point to Domain that as I understand it you probably had little choice about in the first place.

Cannot be explained easily, but basically it is a hierarchical arrangement based on a clubs rating of the viewing.
Obviously there is no one-for-one as Subiaco had precious little viewing on the wings whereas P.S. is all good.
On radio, a man complained because his old seats were second tier behind the goals and that wasn't what he was offered.
A lot of people who paid premium in Subiaco don't need to pay premium in P.S.

How does it work? Do you get to pick your seat if you had one at Domain? Do they allocate in a "best fit" position based on a disad vantage point to Domain that as I understand it you probably had little choice about in the first place.
So you get allocated in your group depending on how long you have been a member. It seems to have been pretty random the locations, however meant to be in a similar category.
Once you are allocated you can accept what you have been given or you have a certain time to move around and select your desired seats of whats left available

So you get allocated in your group depending on how long you have been a member. It seems to have been pretty random the locations, however meant to be in a similar category.
Once you are allocated you can accept what you have been given or you have a certain time to move around and select your desired seats of whats left available
Was curious tks
Sounds about as fair as it can be, if It's implemented properly.

From what I’ve been told by Eagles members, they get offered a seat and can choose to accept or lose their membership. They don’t think they can move until after the 2018 season. The Eagles members I know all seem happy with their allocations. The top prices for Eagles membership are much less than the highest price for Freo memberships - I was offered a seat for $999.

I then had the choice of changing seats, which I did, getting two seats at $230 each, which is cheaper than anything the Eagles can get, and I think it’s cheaper than anything that was available at Subiaco Oval. Pretty happy, to be honest. Waiting for the catch...

Eagles people in varying stages get offered a seat. If they don't like it they have a few days they can choose from seats still unselected. They jeep the original allocation unlesscthey choose somewhere else.

Dockers people (from what I gather) get offered a seat. If they don't like it they hand them bavk then have to hope they can choose a seat they prefer as they can't go back to the original allocation.

Time difference aside, you know how strange that comparison sounds

Strange ?.

Vics need all the beauty sleep they can get ?.

Put it this way, if my team was playing an away game and it started at 9.00 pm my time, I'd make sure that I'm in front of the tellie.

Strange ?.

Vics need all the beauty sleep they can get ?.

Put it this way, if my team was playing an away game and it started at 9.00 pm my time, I'd make sure that I'm in front of the tellie.

Thats broadcast start. Game would start at 9:10 at the absolute earliest, with it finishing at 11:40

That timeslot has just killed all kids from watching the game in the eastern states. Do they make up an important part of the afl viewing audience?

Try telling the LA Lakers that all thier night games have to start at 5:40pm because it suits the kids in NY and Florida better.

You cant really blame Victorians for asking for these schedules, it does suit them better. You can however blame our soft as butter / appeasenik management for not kicking up about it. It doesnt have to be this way, we just let it happen through inaction.

Thats broadcast start. Game would start at 9:10 at the absolute earliest, with it finishing at 11:40

That timeslot has just killed all kids from watching the game in the eastern states. Do they make up an important part of the afl viewing audience?

Game starts after 9.00 pm, my team is playing, I'm watching !!!!!.

Not their fault, but Vics have become spoilt with all the local AFL footy available to them each weekend.

Not their fault, but Vics have become spoilt with all the local AFL footy available to them each weekend.
Yes but are you 8? You make it sound like you're the only person who matters when making the decision.
"Oh Masai says they'll watch, 2am bouncedown it is"

DIdnt games go from 845 to 1115 just a few years ago when seven delayed the coverage and still kept all their pregame filler in?

Yes but are you 8? You make it sound like you're the only person who matters when making the decision.
"Oh Masai says they'll watch, 2am bouncedown it is"

Look I accept nothing will change, games must be broadcast into the eastern seaboard at their comfortable hour. The AFL & Channel Stokes ordain that.

What about the 50 000+ supporters putting bums on seats at the stadium ?, what about the players comfort, looking into a setting sun ?.

In essence, tv ratings >>>>>>>>>> players comfort >>>>>> bums on seat supporters.

On another angle, as a kid I remember staying up late to watch the Ashes in England, Olympics, tennis etc. In the current days, many people stay up to watch the Tour de France.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look I accept nothing will change, games must be broadcast into the eastern seaboard at their comfortable hour. The AFL & Channel Stokes ordain that.

What about the 50 000+ supporters putting bums on seats at the stadium ?, what about the players comfort, looking into a setting sun ?.

In essence, tv ratings >>>>>>>>>> players comfort >>>>>> bums on seat supporters.

On another angle, as a kid I remember staying up late to watch the Ashes in England, Olympics, tennis etc. In the current days, many people stay up to watch the Tour de France.
And imagine how many MORE people would do that if the broadcasts were able to be in primetime.

are you an 8 year old kid with a bed time?

DIdnt games go from 845 to 1115 just a few years ago when seven delayed the coverage and still kept all their pregame filler in?

not sure if it was 8:45, but I remember they did bump it with the filler, and it was as popular as dog shit

financially the games about tv, not attendances

tv deal money plus the exposure it brings for individual AFL and club sponsorships matter much more for the afl and the clubs than the 50k at the actual game

especially in WA, where your memberships mean the afl and WCE/Freo already have your coin if you come or not.

financially the games about tv, not attendances

tv deal money plus the exposure it brings for individual AFL and club sponsorships matter much more for the afl and the clubs than the 50k at the actual game

especially in WA, where your memberships mean the afl and WCE/Freo already have your coin if you come or not.
Financially it's better to have the two Saturday night games starting 3 hours apart as to not intrude on one and other.

I believe so.
Before Friday Night footy became live on tv, it used to be a delayed start on tv from around 8-30 pm at earliest. I went to my first game of Friday night footy back in 1985 against North. The replay show on tv probably began on 7 around 9-30 pm back then. During 90's probably 8-30 pm and finally some time in early 2000's full live showing of game against the gate. But the games from Perth or SCG on a Friday night in late 80's might have been live telecasts.

Example:
Friday 3 April 1987 — VICTORIA
  • Source: The Sun News Pictorial, 3 April 1987

MELBOURNE
    ABV2 HSV7 GTV9 ATV10 SBS28
    abc_1975_bw.jpg
    7logo_1980s_bw.jpg
    9logo_1980s_bw.jpg
    ten_1984_bw.jpg
    sbs_85_bw.jpg

8.30 Minder 8.30 Movie: Dirty Harry. 1971 [IMDB] 8.30 Special: The 1987 TV Week Logie Awards. Don Lane. Live from Hyatt On Collins, Melbourne (see advertisement below) 8.15 Australian Shorts: All The Old Men
    8.30 Showbiz. Zuzanka Kutena
    9PM 9.20 Friday Night Football: North Melbourne v Melbourne. Delayed coverage from MCG 9pm 9 O’Clock
    9.30 Movie: Tosca’s Kiss. 1983 (Italy) [IMDB]
    10PM 10.10 Newsworld
    10.30 TV Ringside: Australian Featherweight Championship. Jeff Fenech v Tony “Mad Dog” Miller 10.25 Movie: Magnum Force. 1973 [IMDB] 10.45 Eyewitness News
    11PM 11.30 ABC News

Last edited:
I believe so.
Before Friday Night footy became live on tv, it used to be a delayed start on tv from around 8-30 pm at earliest. I went to my first game of Friday night footy back in 1985 against North. The replay show on tv probably began on 7 around 9-30 pm back then. During 90's probably 8-30 pm and finally some time in early 2000's full live showing of game against the gate. But the games from Perth or SCG on a Friday night in late 80's might have been live telecasts.

Example:
Friday 3 April 1987 — VICTORIA
  • Source: The Sun News Pictorial, 3 April 1987

MELBOURNE
    ABV2 HSV7 GTV9 ATV10 SBS28
    abc_1975_bw.jpg
    7logo_1980s_bw.jpg
    9logo_1980s_bw.jpg
    ten_1984_bw.jpg
    sbs_85_bw.jpg

8.30 Minder 8.30 Movie: Dirty Harry. 1971 [IMDB] 8.30 Special: The 1987 TV Week Logie Awards. Don Lane. Live from Hyatt On Collins, Melbourne (see advertisement below) 8.15 Australian Shorts: All The Old Men
    8.30 Showbiz. Zuzanka Kutena
    9PM 9.20 Friday Night Football: North Melbourne v Melbourne. Delayed coverage from MCG 9pm 9 O’Clock
    9.30 Movie: Tosca’s Kiss. 1983 (Italy) [IMDB]
    10PM 10.10 Newsworld
    10.30 TV Ringside: Australian Featherweight Championship. Jeff Fenech v Tony “Mad Dog” Miller 10.25 Movie: Magnum Force. 1973 [IMDB] 10.45 Eyewitness News
    11PM 11.30 ABC News
Probably our last friday night game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back