Peter Wright vs Reece McKenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree on both comments. McBean has is extremely athletic if he had of Gunston's nous he would average 10 marks at VFL.
Rubbish. In his first two years after being drafted, Gunston totalled 22 games and 29 goals in the SANFL. In the stronger VFL, McBean has 74 goals in 29 games.

How many games have you actually seen McBean play?

Rubbish. In his first two years after being drafted, Gunston totalled 22 games and 29 goals in the SANFL. In the stronger VFL, McBean has 74 goals in 29 games.

How many games have you actually seen McBean play?

That doesn't speak to their respective playing styles at all. My contention is not McBean is worse than Gunston it is that they don't play similarly at all.

Disagree on both comments. McBean has is extremely athletic if he had of Gunston's nous he would average 10 marks at VFL.

So you disagree with me yet above you say once he fills out he will be a difficult match up

Contradiction
Of sorts right there mate.

So you disagree with me yet above you say once he fills out he will be a difficult match up

Contradiction
Of sorts right there mate.

Not really. My point is if McBean played anything like Gunstan he would have cracked the massive total of 6 marks by now. You don't need size to take uncontesed marks.

Not really. My point is if McBean played anything like Gunstan he would have cracked the massive total of 6 marks by now. You don't need size to take uncontesed marks.

I thought you and I were talking about him taking more marks in general and I was referring to his lack of strength/size as the main reason he doesn't take more marks.

You said once he puts on size he would be hard to match up on and the only benefit of extra size for him would be in contested marking.

I didn't mention playing like Gunston

I thought you and I were talking about him taking more marks in general and I was referring to his lack of strength/size as the main reason he doesn't take more marks.

You said once he puts on size he would be hard to match up on and the only benefit of extra size for him would be in contested marking.

I didn't mention playing like Gunston

I was using his lack of marks as evidence that he doesn't play like Gunston. I agree that with added size and endurance he will logically take more marks.

That doesn't speak to their respective playing styles at all. My contention is not McBean is worse than Gunston it is that they don't play similarly at all.
How many times have you seen McBean play?

He averages more than four marks a game in the VFL, with a best of 7. He's taken 6 on three other occasions, and 5 another 8 times.

Gunston averages 5.2 marks a game, so the difference is one mark per game, which is easily accounted for by the reasons I gave earlier.

Agreed. I rate McBean. He is a unique player and if your going to get a good tall forward outside the first round you've got think outside the box.
I agree I cant see McBean being that contested marking player most likey like the traditional CHF/FF. He can be very effective once he gets to Min AFL fitness/strength

How many times have you seen McBean play?

He averages more than four marks a game in the VFL, with a best of 7. He's taken 6 on three other occasions, and 5 another 8 times.

Gunston averages 5.2 marks a game, so the difference is one mark per game, which is easily accounted for by the reasons I gave earlier.

Live twice and I watch the vfl on ABC most weeks but unsure how many times Coburg have been on the TV.

Everything I've seen from McBean has made me think 200cm small forward/flanker. What is exciting for Richmond fans is he is clearly producing at VFL level despite being a mile off the finished product imo.

Live twice and I watch the vfl on ABC most weeks but unsure how many times Coburg have been on the TV.

Everything I've seen from McBean has made me think 200cm small forward/flanker. What is exciting for Richmond fans is he is clearly producing at VFL level despite being a mile off the finished product imo.
Ok. Well, good on you for sticking to your guns. Let's agree to disagree on what type of player he is, and agree he's exciting. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

better lead and better mark then Casboult too. Mckenzie if he gets his attitude right will prove the doubters wrong imo.

I am not usually one to go into bat for my own clubs players (because we don't need any more of the McBean rubbish that always ensues) but c'mon, better mark? McKenzie has played a total of 0 games against men. You can say all you like about his form in the TAC because that is all we have to go by, but to say he is better at this and better at that compared to a bloke who has just started to get runs on the board against elite men in the AFL is stupid.

Casboult kicked 4 goals against Hawthorn and St Kilda last year as he started to come on, he took 7 & 8 marks respectively those nights and has roughly a ratio of 2:1 of his marks being contested in 2014. Even though it was pretty sensationalist because of a couple of his highlights, a lot of people - experts included - were saying he was one of the best contested marks in the AFL. Incredible hands...

All the best to McKenzie, but give us a break. Casboult is no world beater at the moment but has developed pretty nicely and improved all facets, yes his kicking included, steadily over his time at Carlton. Mick loves him even if you don't rate him loki...

Mckenzie is already the most overrated player from this draft, Tigers supporters comparing him to Hawkins? Get off it.
A playing style comparison is not overrating someone.... You coukd say someone has a similar playing style to Ablett, without ever meaning they'll be as good.

I am not usually one to go into bat for my own clubs players (because we don't need any more of the McBean rubbish that always ensues) but c'mon, better mark? McKenzie has played a total of 0 games against men. You can say all you like about his form in the TAC because that is all we have to go by, but to say he is better at this and better at that compared to a bloke who has just started to get runs on the board against elite men in the AFL is stupid.

Casboult kicked 4 goals against Hawthorn and St Kilda last year as he started to come on, he took 7 & 8 marks respectively those nights and has roughly a ratio of 2:1 of his marks being contested in 2014. Even though it was pretty sensationalist because of a couple of his highlights, a lot of people - experts included - were saying he was one of the best contested marks in the AFL. Incredible hands...

All the best to McKenzie, but give us a break. Casboult is no world beater at the moment but has developed pretty nicely and improved all facets, yes his kicking included, steadily over his time at Carlton. Mick loves him even if you don't rate him loki...

At the same age Mckenzie imo is a better mark is what I meant.

attitude right ? kidding right ? out there doing goal kicking practice with j.r on a day off attitude lol
Surely you cannot base your belief of him having a good attitude because he was goal kicking with Jack Reiwoldt? Going to park to have a kick is something people tend to do during their time off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back