News Phil Walsh - New AFC Coach and Art Critic

Remove this Banner Ad

Pubdub

The problem with heat training is that what goes up must come down, if your body acclimatises to the heat in 8 days, then it will return to normal in 8 days when you return. If heat training was truly an advantage we would be seeing QLD dominate every sport they compete in against the southern states and the United Arab Emirates would also be a sporting force worldwide.

Absolutely. heat training is meant for players to acclimatize to heat before a tournament such as the Australian Open. Losses in tolerance to heat does drop off. As for the gains in V02 max and lactate threshold and power- the coaching staff instructs the players how to maintain their gains.

“The biggest thing we saw was that the heat-acclimation group increased their time-trial performance by 6 percent in cool weather, and by 8 percent in hot weather,” study co-author Chris Minson, Ph.D.
“What was really neat was that we also saw a 5 percent increase in VO2 max in cool conditions,” said Minson, who is a cyclist himself as well as the University of Oregon’s Human Physiology department head. “The question remains for me as to the real-world application. But the lactate threshold, VO2 max and power output increases in the lab were profound.”
Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...onditions-study-finds_148767#I05sBMgpc3UIF5sU.

Even then, the heat acclimation is only helpful when done in addition to solid training.

“What people are taking from this unfortunately is that they should do all their training in the heat,” Minson said.

Minson said you could draw a parallel to altitude training: living high and training high will result in less neuromuscular acclimation, not more; one still needs to train with normal amounts of oxygen to see performance gains. “You have the same corollary here: you still have to train fast (in normal weather). But if you can then add heat acclimation on top of that, you will get a boost.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...itions-study-finds_148767#I05sBMgpc3UIF5sU.99

Dunno why everyone keeps crapping on about Dubai.
I am telling you it will be Doha if anywhere.
The ASPIRE/ASPETAR facilities are world class.
Not to mention they are world leaders in heat training. They keep staging conferences there.

http://www.aspetar.com/Heat2014/index.aspx

Nick Poulos used to work there - he will have loads of contacts.
That is the right attitude. The point here is only to look at heat training. Graham Cornes and some people here questioned the benefits of this type of training which is fair enough because there still needs to be more research on the subject. I am just pointing to the evidence based knowledge available and reminding you here that your coach is a firm believer. Facilities are useful but the real point are the conditions and how you integrate them into your pre-competitive phase.

The hilarious part of those statements can't be shown on twitter. It was the little smirk on his face as he said them both. He's a cheeky one our coach. But I have never seen our players move that fast before to get on stage and sing.

Walsh was on 5AA tonight, quick summary:

How much has he learnt from Burgess? Absorbed it in but how much you can impart is dependant on the profile of your squad. Port had mix of good quick runners and long distance runners, our profile is different without elaborating.

The players have accepted all the hard work and no complaining.

On naming Captain, said not set in stone, might wait until how they come back from XMAS and even first NAB cup game.

On VB, has been impressed with him. Made one interesting comment that he had his best training last Wednesday and hit his targets. Good to see that is now something we judge our players on.

Asked about Lever, said he was told beforehand he would be available at 14 but was nervous from 11-13. Made you think we might have known who Geelong were going to pick when we swapped.

Impressed with all the recruits, all good character who want to work hard.

The temperatures are not blisteringly high but Dubai has the reputation for being one of the most oppressive cities because of the lingering humidity. These conditions are persistent even over night time. Considering that there is very little variation in temperature the stress placed on the body to acclimatize is increased. If you consider that you have a block of training before x-mas, a break (where players are taught to maintain their gains), and then a resumption of training after x-mas, you have to be smart in how much load you can fit into the players before the competitive phase of the season begins.
So... no air conditioned facilities or hotels?

In Dubai? They'd be lucky to get a ceiling fan.;)
Yeah, totes. ;) ;)

dubai_660.jpg

So... no air conditioned facilities or hotels?

Patricius Maximus

5,117 posts, read 2,850,780 times
Dubai is the worst of the two in summer. Dubai is more prone to humidity than Baghdad. Also the low temperatures have a far bigger effect on my comfort and the overall intensity of the heat than the high temperatures - hot nights are just killers (mostly metaphorically speaking). Each degree higher for a nighttime low adds a whole new layer of misery for me, so Dubai's nights which are 8 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than Baghdad's take the prize of the most miserable of the two. Dubai also stays much hotter in winter than Baghdad does, so even overall I'd say Dubai is worse.

Both of them would be awful climates for me to be in, so it's a choice without meaning to me.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/weat...mmer-baghdad-dubai-climate.html#ixzz3MGQ9Z6yp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back