News Phil Walsh - New AFC Coach and Art Critic

Remove this Banner Ad

Pressure builds diamonds. I expect the box to be running at high intensity with Phil not crunching any gears.
honestly at this stage I expect at least one of Campo and Clarke to be moved on at the end of the season in preference of someone else (people unavailable at the end of last year), but we'll see.

honestly at this stage I expect at least one of Campo and Clarke to be moved on at the end of the season in preference of someone else (people unavailable at the end of last year), but we'll see.
Phil will drive them hard and if changes are necessary after his first season, get Lade for Clarke and I don't know who for Campo?

It was a good interview. Not a lot to dislike about what he said last night.

You can tell he's a student of the game, in ways that Sanderson and Craig weren't. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a great coach (because putting it into practice on match day is another story) but it's a good start.

There's only a couple of concerning things for me.

One, he said we'll be playing a "demanding" game style. Game plans are all about return on investment. "Demanding" is a word I hate to hear in this context. It's far too Neil Craig-esque. But maybe it was just a throwaway line. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

And two, his voice sounds a bit like Gary Ayres...but for my own sanity, I'll be pretending I never said this.

Please don't compare him with the gummy bear and Joe Dirt.

While we're all having a crack at what he meant by demanding....I'll say it refers to our defensive press. In that we push up harder than any other team. If it works, it will kill teams, however, it is the highest degree of difficulty of all the defenses in the AFL to pull off, made even harder by having a young defense.

The positive is we've been at it for a while, though perhaps not quite as extreme, since Craigy's rein, so a fair number of people have had a fair education in it. The other positive is we've still been finishing mid table with it (despite it regularly breaking down). Scary how good we might go if we can get it to work consistently.

Just listen again to yesterday's interview with Phil Walsh on AA

couple thingswhiched stood out for me

1. Walshy rang the Father of the Crouch boys to say the goid news is Matt got through the sanfl game all fine however the not so good news is Brad copped an injury

2. Every day at th rd office Walshy tries to speak with every player as its important for every player to have engagement with the senior coach

What I am loving is a demanding coach that just knows how to work with people, in particulaly a young group of men

Phil will drive them hard and if changes are necessary after his first season, get Lade for Clarke and I don't know who for Campo?
Didn't Lade re-sign with Richmond for a few more years?

Anyway, with his current record of hiring guys he's previously worked with does anyone reckon he might try and get Dean Cox over as ruck coach?

Just listen again to yesterday's interview with Phil Walsh on AA

couple thingswhiched stood out for me

1. Walshy rang the Father of the Crouch boys to say the goid news is Matt got through the sanfl game all fine however the not so good news is Brad copped an injury

2. Every day at th rd office Walshy tries to speak with every player as its important for every player to have engagement with the senior coach

What I am loving is a demanding coach that just knows how to work with people, in particulaly a young group of men
Considering there was talk that Sando had players he NEVER spoke with, you'd think the fact that Walsh tries to speak to everyone everyday would be a massive boost to morale for the players.

It was a good interview. Not a lot to dislike about what he said last night.

You can tell he's a student of the game, in ways that Sanderson and Craig weren't. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a great coach (because putting it into practice on match day is another story) but it's a good start.

There's only a couple of concerning things for me.

One, he said we'll be playing a "demanding" game style. Game plans are all about return on investment. "Demanding" is a word I hate to hear in this context. It's far too Neil Craig-esque. But maybe it was just a throwaway line. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

And two, his voice sounds a bit like Gary Ayres...but for my own sanity, I'll be pretending I never said this.
In another interview Walsh conceded that the players cannot play the demanding style for the whole game - think he may have said 70% of the time. He said the key is to pick the moments for maximum effort.

Could lade be a midfield coach? or would you of had to be a midfielder to get that gig?
Edit: He's currently the mid coach at richmond, think his contract is out this end of this season so campo better lift. I would love lade and basset in if thats at all possible. Lade for the mids and Bass for the defence if dasher is struggling, time will tell.

Could lade be a midfield coach? or would you of had to be a midfielder to get that gig?
Edit: He's currently the mid coach at richmond, think his contract is out this end of this season so campo better lift. I would love lade and basset in if thats at all possible. Lade for the mids and Bass for the defence if dasher is struggling, time will tell.
I wouldn't bar anyone from any position based only on the position they played in.

the best available gets the job (or at least an offer), and in all his years here I don't think Campo or Clarke have ticked all their boxes for round 1 so to speak ;)

just like spots in the 22 everything is up for grabs, and I think this is the way Walsh, Fages and Roo all see it. The right people in the right seats.

I wouldn't bar anyone from any position based only on the position they played in.

the best available gets the job (or at least an offer), and in all his years here I don't think Campo or Clarke have ticked all their boxes for round 1 so to speak ;)

just like spots in the 22 everything is up for grabs, and I think this is the way Walsh, Fages and Roo all see it. The right people in the right seats.
I still reckon Walshy will want lade big time for next year, in any role. Phil rocks a semi anytime people speak of lade around him. If he reckons he's that good I'll join and back him in.

Considering there was talk that Sando had players he NEVER spoke with, you'd think the fact that Walsh tries to speak to everyone everyday would be a massive boost to morale for the players.

Even if he wasn't naturally inclined to do this, after identifying it as a problem under Sando talking with every player regularly would have been a contractual KPI for whoever got the job

Either way I'm glad it's happening

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I hear about Cousins the more I suspect this is true.
Not only cousins, but he was the player who was rampant after half time... & he was on vb who is no slouch athletically!

Not only cousins, but he was the player who was rampant after half time... & he was on vb who is no slouch athletically!

There was an interview with VB after the game who said that he could keep up with Cousins for the first half, but the second... another matter entirely.

Remember Akemanis saying about Schoefeld from WC performance one day where he was sure he was on something that day too (Schoey that is) and Aker was howled down about it afterwards.

There was an interview with VB after the game who said that he could keep up with Cousins for the first half, but the second... another matter entirely.

Remember Akemanis saying about Schoefeld from WC performance one day where he was sure he was on something that day too (Schoey that is) and Aker was howled down about it afterwards.

Wasn't that Braun or are we talking about another performance altogether?

VB was beaten because Cousins was a vastly superior footballer.

Hope that clears it up for you.

VB was beaten because Cousins was a vastly superior footballer.

Hope that clears it up for you.
Just a tad flippant here mate.. clearly that's true.. but gut running he just annihilated him. Cousins was always a fantastic gut runner.. but something stunk that day mate. It was nigh on unbelievable how he blew us away that second half IMO.

Just a tad flippant here mate.. clearly that's true.. but gut running he just annihilated him. Cousins was always a fantastic gut runner.. but something stunk that day mate. It was nigh on unbelievable how he blew us away that second half IMO.

Cousins didn't just outrun VB that day, he outsmarted him.

Maybe you're right, and I'll guess we'll never know for sure, but it's become one of those pathetic football folklore memes among Crows supporters who swear black and blue VB would have stayed with him if only...

Cousins was a seasoned, big-game champion who blew away a mere mortal on a big stage. That's what champions do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back