Phillip Hughes

Remove this Banner Ad

His performances in his first 2 seasons of domestic cricket and at such a young age is unprecedented.

They demand selection.

Get him in, this kid is amazing.

There is no risk sending him to South Africa because quite frankly I think he could be successful from the get go in the Test team. Also this may sound odd but I think he'd get more out of going to South Africa and failing there (not saying he would but if he did) than staying in Australia and being successful for New South Wales.

Well they did used to say that the great Australian batsmen and fast bowlers made their state team in their late teens and normally made their test debuts around 22 to 24.

Hughes to me is the guy most likely to be our next 'great' batsmen aka Ponting, Steve Waugh or Border

He has beaten the usual 2nd year syndrome with all the hype over his great first season. Scored a 100 in the Pura cup final and now in front of the selectors he has outscored his opponents. That there shows great temperament, deserves a trip to SA at least.

When the pressure was on to make the final claims for test selection, this guy scores 233 runs in one match, dismissed only once. He is probably the most in-form batsman in Australia right now.

Im really hoping the selectors aren't concerned about their own jobs through making short term decisions, rather than the long term future of Australian cricket.

I wish they had of put him in the last ODI side. Again he has torn a hole thru Tassie. His First Class scores against Tassie are: 51, 73, 58*, 93, 108, 151 & 82* = 616 runs @ 123.2.
Just pick the young fella, he can't do any worse than the rabble we have at the moment.

I can't remember the last time Australia had a 20 year old playing this well at state level. Maybe Ricky Ponting was the last in the mid 90's?

Exciting times ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hodge scored 900 plus runs in his debut season a long time ago.

Hughes scored 600 last year in his debut season, so he has backed it up with another 900 runs this year. Hodge would of scored those runs in 93/94 season? just wen Australia surged to the top of world cricket and had S. waugh, M.waugh D.Boon, border as their middle order. As well Langer, Martyn pushing for selection.

Hughes however is in the right place at the right time, he is young the aussie side in decling and his making lots of runs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Stuart Macgill board

The point that is being made about timing is spot on. If he does get to go to SAfrica he has thoroughly deserved it and kudos will go to the selectors for looking to the future.

One his way to SA and will make his debut (unless they move hussey up and north in) highly unlikely and is the youngest player to debut since craig mcdermott.

I don't think their will be any arguments on his selection from people on this thread!

He's an interesting one. He has an unusual technique and doesn't look all that pretty at times, but fantastic off his pads and has a wide range of shots. He will be tested by the best fast bowling attack in the world in their own pad, which will be very difficult for him but in the end it'll be a good learning curve whether he succeeds or fails. I hope he makes some runs though

I love this kid, i really hope he has a great series - good to have a partner who is/was his state captain for his debut, hopefully it will make him feel comfortable.

Now I would love to see him included in the 1 day side too, although I think Haddin may have gone part way to occupying the opening position with Marsh for the upcoming tour (providing Marsh is fit).

Great to see Hughes passing up on big $$$ in the IPL and instead signing for a stint in the English County Cricket. Obviously thinking about the Ashes. Shows a lot about the young lad.

Great to see Hughes passing up on big $$$ in the IPL and instead signing for a stint in the English County Cricket. Obviously thinking about the Ashes. Shows a lot about the young lad.

I'm pretty sure he got overlooked in the IPL auction.

Anyway, this county cricket stint will be great for his development.

He didn't offer himself to the IPL, obviously didn't get any offers like Warner and Henriques but he didn't put himself up for the auction.

First 50 for Australia in the tour match. First 20 runs came from boundaries.

Looks good with the aussie helmet on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back