Toast Pick #19: Welcome to Carlton Blaine Boekhorst

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question, but what has stopped Boekhurst from being drafted or even rookies the past 3 years since he became eligible?
Did not take football seriously until this year and was a state volleyball player so not fully focussed on football until now. I'd personally only judge him on this year's performances.

Looking at Goddard and Laverde highlights, these players are not what we necessarily need. The are bigger blokes who are slower and do not have the silky skills and speed of Boekhorst. We now have enough of these types of players. I am happy with the selection when considering our team needs. I am just hoping he turns out well and is not another Lucas, who also presented similar traits when drafted.

This is the problem with Carlton recruting, there are no 'principles' it is just a 'whatever' philosophy.

Some examples

1. You should never take a 21 year old in the first round unless he has gun KPP written all over him, and even then it's a stretch because he'd already be in the system.

2. You should never take a ruckman in the first round because they are always injured, take longer to develop and usually have shorter careers.

3. The senior coach should have NO say at all in first and second round picks. Not even down to requesting a midfielder or KPP.

4. Drafting in the first two rounds should be for the purposes of accumulating talent, not a needs based recruiting strategy.

Yes drafting principles!

There's a few just off the top of my head.

Rogers is a dunce 'we take the best player', of course he's the best player, he's 3 years older than the rest!

What should happen:
1) Board tells coach this is how we draft at Carlton
2) Head of recruiting follows drafting principles
3) Senior coach welcomes the two most highly rated draftees as 18 or 19(max) year olds for first round, 19 or 20(max) year olds for second round
4) Coach gets fired but we can be confident in knowing we have drafted the best talent for the new coach to work with

What happens at Carlton
1) Senior coach wants a player that can 'do this' or 'do that' or 'play now'
2) Head of recruiting selects players that can 'do this' or 'do that' or 'play now'
3) Senior coach welcomes the two type of players he requested who will probably be fired within 2-5 years (on average)
4) Coach gets fired and the new coach is left to clean up the old coaches mess
I get what you're saying.

But the 3-time premiership winning Geelong side was built under the framework you are criticizing. True story.

Looking at Goddard and Laverde highlights, these players are not what we necessarily need. The are bigger blokes who are slower and do not have the silky skills and speed of Boekhorst. We now have enough of these types of players. I am happy with the selection when considering our team needs. I am just hoping he turns out well and is not another Lucas, who also presented similar traits when drafted.
Yeah bro I am with you there. Its so easy to go best available and end up with HBF heaven circa a few years back. We are recruiting needs and we are going to have the list that has depth in all positions after the PSD. Once we pick up a small forward in Tutt and probably a project ruckman I reckon the list is exactly where it needs to be, short of experience. Talent is the other question mark, but I think we will now see there will only be a very short list turnover from here on in.

Leave the Hedland boy alone... we all had dodgy hair when we lived there :p You should have seen some of the Effie style big hairdo's that were floating about on the girls... and most of the guys had mullets that even Sticks would have been proud of.

Mods must have taken your advice...not sure if it was my reference to a certain hairstyle or anatomy that incurred the wrath of the censors. Sheesh.

Went to school with the guy, pace, elusiveness and vision are definitely his strengths.

His kicking can be on and off though, one day he'll cream everything and the next he'll be spraying them everywhere.

For the record he was a St Kilda supporter :p
Are you dead certain about that one? Where abouts did you go to school with him?

High school, both boarders at Wesley in the same year group.

Started out as a West Coast supporter, then changed to St Kilda, think he had a pretty big hard on for Riewoldt :p
Fair enough... his grandfather still has him supporting the Eagles :D

Charlie_Sheen_Biography.jpg
1417151799318.jpg

Is it just me?
Yep. Looks more like White.

776542-224a6e28-5801-11e3-8974-69a7d7a3124c.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read in the paper today that Rodgers had been following him for 4 years....why didn't he take him as a rookie last year then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read in the paper today that Rodgers had been following him for 4 years....why didn't he take him as a rookie last year then?

Because he didn't do anything until this year but exploded to life in a big way. I think by Boekhorst's own admission, he decided to focus on his football this year and this is the result. I'm not sure if he was still involved in state volleyball while playing football for fun the last few years or whether he just hadn't been putting in the work.

This does smack of a Bootsma selection where Rogers just couldn't get the idea out of his head and wanted to pull a rabbit out of the hat to an extent but the reality is Boekhorst had a great year, has the attributes we need to balance our side and is ready to have an impact immediately.

Because he didn't do anything until this year but exploded to life in a big way. I think by Boekhorst's own admission, he decided to focus on his football this year and this is the result. I'm not sure if he was still involved in state volleyball while playing football for fun the last few years or whether he just hadn't been putting in the work.

This does smack of a Bootsma selection where Rogers just couldn't get the idea out of his head and wanted to pull a rabbit out of the hat to an extent but the reality is Boekhorst had a great year, has the attributes we need to balance our side and is ready to have an impact immediately.

Drafted in 2011, doesnt that make him a Hughes selection?

Sorry Blaine, wasn't actually stalking. Just trying to find out when he stopped playing volleyball. Found these:

Blaine Boekhurst volleyball.jpg
Blaine Boekhurst volleyball2.jpg

Will be interesting to see if he has maintained that leap. How did he go at state screening?

Drafted in 2011, doesnt that make him a Hughes selection?

Probably. We've certainly started looking at WA a lot more with Rogers at the club. He has that WA breeding ground insight from his Freo days and he said he'd been watching Boekhorst for 4 years, so before he got the top job and I assume he had a fair bit of input even under Hughes.

Good question and I seriously doubt that Rodgers has followed him for 4 years given that Ross Parker hadn't pushed his name up at that stage.

Good question and I seriously doubt that Rodgers has followed him for 4 years given that Ross Parker hadn't pushed his name up at that stage.

Highly likely he has known about him for 4 years but had no interest until this year ... i.e didn't rate him for 3 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back