Toast Pick #19: Welcome to Carlton Blaine Boekhorst

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved Mick's good natured reaction to that tweet, most other coaches (esp Mr No Personality Buckley) would have towed out the old party line 'We will sit down and have a talk with him' but the manner Mick has done puts the young man and everyone at the club at ease.

Its important that new recruits/draftees are made to feel welcome at the club, something which perhaps wasn't as good as it could have been previously at the club (dating back to the later Brittain/Pagan era)

Holman will have a break out year in 2015, I see the talent and necessary desire and mongrel to get there.

I like Nick but he'll need to improve kicking on his right leg.

Whereas Sheehan has some tricks to maneuver himself so to get on that left leg, I'm not convinced Holman has, yet.

Funny that, the way they reported it on the radio this morning as "New Blue in hot water with Coach in first meeting since tweet" I thought Mick had grilled him, but everything I've read its been the opposite, that Mick has taken it in good stride, had a laugh (hence the nickname) and we move on.

******* biased WA media hahaha.

I'm rational enough to acknowledge my irrationality in questioning this pick...but yeah, I'm a little uneasy with it.

Rogers trying to soften the blow a few days out from the draft suggests, at least to me, that we had zeroed in on a player regardless of the how the cards were to fall. I don't like that.

Nor do I like that Rogers appears to be acting on the directive of the coaching staff rather than conducting a more independent talent identification process. Again, my impression only.

Feels a bit like 2010 where a perceived need for type saw us overlook plenty of other likely types.
I think that Rogers was advised of the clubs needs... i.e. the club knew that we were delisting Lucas and wanted someone else with outside run and had very good hand and foot skills. Rogers settled on Boekie and played fox and hounds with the other clubs. We knew who we wanted and we got him. We had to take him early because I reckon that Essendon were after him because of their incoming bans and their future needs of mature aged footballers who are ready to go.

Didn't another club try to poach Rogers and we promptly promoted him?

He's a good egg Rogers. Not surprised another club tried to poach him.

Got his picks scrambled last week though.

Okay, I started it. I had a comeback about not being traitorous and eggs benedict Arnold but I don't want this to be an egg joke outbreak (or yolk outbreak) so I will do my mea culpas and keep this about BB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad its gone. With his playing style and THAT topknot, he actually reminded me a lot of Sharrod Wellingham.

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

The jumper didn't help just quietly.

Would be interesting to know who else we might have passed on to get Blaine. Langford, Durdin, Lever, Garlett?

Possibly. The way I see it is we think his best is right up there with most others in the draft, only he has developed later than the others. Because we are lacking outside run, and he is a mature player, he seem a tailor made fit for us to have an impact in 2015, rather than 2016-17 like most other first rounders. Nobody else did that so we may well have had a lot of excitement over him no matter who was available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back