News Aidyn Johnson signs with Tatura

Remove this Banner Ad

They will have to get down to Port Echuca and celebrate on the riverbank.

https://www.portofechuca.org.au/

k55y8h.jpg

We should have a trial match there in early 2017 against one of the Vic sides.
AFL wouldnt like it as it stops us playing at Glenelg or Norlunga or Oval avenue. Should look at playing the team who had Echuca in their old VFL recruiting zone.

I know Carlton used to have Bendigo as their old recruiting zone but I dont know if it stretched up to Echuca. Richmond had Sunraisiya which I dont know know how long down the Murray River that spread and Melbourne had the Golburn Valley which includes Sheparton and I reckon Sheparton is closer to Echuca than Bendigo is. Ok just had a quick look at the map and between Sheparton and Echuca is Kyabram which was Melbourne zone as Garry Lyon was taken from that zone. So looks like it would be Melbourne.

AFL wouldnt like it as it stops us playing at Glenelg or Norlunga or Oval avenue. Should look at playing the team who had Echuca in their old VFL recruiting zone.

I know Carlton used to have Bendigo as their old recruiting zone but I dont know if it stretched up to Echuca. Richmond had Sunraisiya which I dont know know how long down the Murray River that spread and Melbourne had the Golburn Valley which includes Sheparton and I reckon Sheparton is closer to Echuca than Bendigo is. Ok just had a quick look at the map and between Sheparton and Echuca is Kyabram which was Melbourne zone as Garry Lyon was taken from that zone. So looks like it would be Melbourne.
The Echuca FC was in the Bendigo Football League, and therefore Carlton's zone, until 1974 when they moved to the Goulburn Valley League. So was Carlton, now Melbourne.

Edit: But Wikipedia could well be wrong and Portia could be correct.

2015 the Magpies played Goodwood. 2016 they play the Central Australian club. 2017, a combined Goulburn Valley Football League team at Echuca?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we could invite some of the best juniors from the GVFL to Alberton for a week or so training camp with our academy side.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/3517527/from-power-fan-to-player/?cs=81
NEW Port Adelaide draftee Aidyn Johnson would not have struggled to find something black, white and teal to wear after Tuesday night's AFL National Draft.
The Bendigo Pioneers midfielder was a Power supporter as a kid and will now get to realise his AFL dream at his club of choice.
"I was surprised when I got the call from Ken (Tuesday night) - and very grateful," he said.
"He said 'prepare to work, it's going to be pretty tough, but if I bring my character and work ethic, it's going to be pretty fine'.
"That was the main message."
More ...
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/3517527/from-power-fan-to-player/?cs=81

NEW Port Adelaide draftee Aidyn Johnson would not have struggled to find something black, white and teal to wear after Tuesday night's AFL National Draft.
The Bendigo Pioneers midfielder was a Power supporter as a kid and will now get to realise his AFL dream at his club of choice.
"I was surprised when I got the call from Ken (Tuesday night) - and very grateful," he said.
"He said 'prepare to work, it's going to be pretty tough, but if I bring my character and work ethic, it's going to be pretty fine'.
"That was the main message."
More ...
I can just see Jane Wines filling in his mum Richelle - and the rest of family - about all things Port Adelaide. And Ollie might have a driving partner on his trips back home.

Last edited:
Interesting that he basically didn't play last year. So that gives him even more credits on the highlight reel because that vision might be of his only game for the year, or could've been as a 16 year old.

Hopefully we keep him on the track and get him fit. Then you never know, he may turn out a lot better than the mid 40s pick we got him with.

Game 1 v murray this year - he kicked two goals out of 7 in a 16 goal loss
Game 2 v geelong - he kicked four that day , from 2014 so yeah 16 year old then
Game 3 v northern nights from 2014

I spoke to Chris Davies at training this morning, he said that they were hoping that AJ would slide to our first pick and were extremely happy when he got through to our second selection!!!
I genuinely believe both our selections were worthy of higher picks. They're not just picked because it was our turn to read a name, it feels like we've really added to the club with quality players that suit the modern game and importantly our game plan.
Well done to the club, I'm extremely happy.
I'm really enthused about the upcoming season and looking forward to the first open training in early December.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back