Universal Love Pick 77: Welcome to Collingwood - Jonathon Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Like this pick, we need to develop a KF and this kid has the tools, love how he takes it on.

Well worth a punt at 77. Could be the best player from draft or delisted in 2 years. Kicked 20.37 for east freo in Colts so work is def needed on kicking. His interview in the AFL he comes across as being awkwardly nice and lacking a touch of confidence. Opposite of Buddy who oozes confidence. Will be interesting to watch his progression.

Biggest issue is his confidence, tends to drop his head quickly and focus on what he cannot do, not what he can.

Comes from a basketball background which is still being worked out of his game, hence going one handed at the ball etc. Is more of a mid half back than a forward, played out of position this year. Power athlete, who can run at speed and fend off players.

Sort his head out and the world is his oyster. Does some scary things in games.

I think it'll be important to keep his game simple in the short term: leading from a pocket and playing him in stints through the centre.

If he can develop an inside game, teams won't be able to contain him

Trick with him will be to get consistency from him. He has tricks, x factor and pace......get him right and could be the all time draft steal. I've seen him and his best is as good as anyones. Try adn get some video of him at Skilled Stadium and watch out for a couple of the things he does.

Must have been good for Hine to take another pick.

Where do we get this Video?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is not a forward.

He has been played as mid / wing and a HF and CHF. He is pretty raw and a lot of people jump on him bc they saw him for the first time at champs but he really didnt have a lot of footy before that and anyone that has played footy can tell you how easy playing CHF is.....let alone doing for the first time at Champs.

he will have been picked bc he is 6 ft 3, runs the like wind......all day, and can kick the thing a bloody mile. I will be interested to see his development programme and where they get him to play etc. As Derek said.....leave him with us and if he does what we tell him he will be fine. Thats Derek Hine talk for......we got a ripper for nothing. Just needs some development and tweaking and we have a race ready V8.

Some posts here and there suggested that earlier this year this guy was thought of a potential first round pick. Is the reason he slid due to the question marks around his consistency and 'rawness"? Or are there other reasons? I mean, to slip from say a top 20 pick to 77 seems like a long way to fall!

Some posts here and there suggested that earlier this year this guy was thought of a potential first round pick. Is the reason he slid due to the question marks around his consistency and 'rawness"? Or are there other reasons? I mean, to slip from say a top 20 pick to 77 seems like a long way to fall!
Sponge I don't partic know about Swampy but think wot happened to Shintaro last year, around about this time of year there appears to be a bit of 'group think' going on amongst the majority of recruiting departments and they get hot for some and go cold on others and the whole 'group think' thing just reinforces itself into set attitudes - good and bad - about particular players.

Thankfully Dekka is not part of the hive mind :)

My first reaction, even from the photos before I'd watched that clip, is that I can't stand that ball drop. I'm not surprised at all that his goal kicking was so poor when he throws it on the boot like a drunken daddy long legs having a seizure on an electric fence.

I love the athleticism and the way he backed himself to outrun his opponent.

Two years of playing against men in the VFL and we'll find out if he's able to come to terms with what he himself labels a "steep learning curve".

Welcome to the club big fella... You're a lucky lad with a big opportunity. Now, put your head down and show us how good you are.

Sponge I don't partic know about Swampy but think wot happened to Shintaro last year, around about this time of year there appears to be a bit of 'group think' going on amongst the majority of recruiting departments and they get hot for some and go cold on others and the whole 'group think' thing just reinforces itself into set attitudes - good and bad - about particular players.

Thankfully Dekka is not part of the hive mind :)
Say what?

He has been played as mid / wing and a HF and CHF. He is pretty raw and a lot of people jump on him bc they saw him for the first time at champs but he really didnt have a lot of footy before that and anyone that has played footy can tell you how easy playing CHF is.....let alone doing for the first time at Champs.

he will have been picked bc he is 6 ft 3, runs the like wind......all day, and can kick the thing a bloody mile. I will be interested to see his development programme and where they get him to play etc. As Derek said.....leave him with us and if he does what we tell him he will be fine. Thats Derek Hine talk for......we got a ripper for nothing. Just needs some development and tweaking and we have a race ready V8.
Running on unleaded or natural fuel?

This is my first take on Marsh. Seems to be the perfect pick for 77.

A very raw gem, and could turn out to be an absolute steal or a waste of a pick (not so much).

From what I can gather from his interviews, seems to be a very raw player in terms of knowledge of the game.

His main asset is definitely his speed and does have a bit of X factor to him.

At this point, I think it's a bit silly pidgeonholing him in what position he can play. I think he is a player that could play anywhere really, and I expect us to sort of try him everywhere next year in the VFL and see what he's most natural at and work from there.

Expect him to be in development for at least 2-3 years, seems like a better pick than Gault anyhow.

I'll state this now. Reckon we'll play him as an athletic KPD. If he can keep himself composed down back, this should be able to compensate for his lack of skill in disposal.

Looks to have some serious tools to work with it will be up to the club to harness them. As others have said well worth a shot at 77 and already looks more of a chance to make it than Gault ever has. I also like that he thinks of himself as a tall midfielder. Versatility again the key for Hine this year.

That roost from 55 out that cleared the fence for a goal in his highlights is super impressive. You can't teach that.

Welcome to Collingwood Swampy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back