News Billy Frampton signs with Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't you dare quote the next line FF!

It's the line after the next one that's a problem. :p

Anyway, As I start to go, I'll keep my pretty head low. ;)

Welcome to PAFC, Clive.
images

View attachment 94619 there ya go lads..exclusive s**t right here
Pretty impressive he found a Port top within 3 hours of being drafted, somewhere in Perth.

I doubt the club told him they would draft him. Would an AFL store be carrying a Port 1870 hoodie and he would have been drafted around 5pm maybe 5.30pm Perth time?? So he's either a fan or a Port WA fan lent him the top.

#PH408

Pretty impressive he found a Port top within 3 hours of being drafted, somewhere in Perth.
Pretty sure it would've been hand delivered by Impey along with membership forms for the rest of his family within 30 mins of his name being read out.

From his highlights reel Billy seems to be a natural footballer, the kind that grew up with a footy
in his hand. Not one of these athletic clones (read Tippet) steered to the AFL on body dimensions
as opposed to naturally nurtured young men who thru instinct and trial and error can read the play.
If there is a bit of a wild side to him that's fine by me. Who knows he may even get taller and for his
height there's a lot to like re his co-ordination.
Welcome Billy, looking forward to seeing you in 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope you're right, mission. It was just his build and the "rangey" way that he goes about his ruck work that made me think of the comparison.

Have seen him a few times over the past year, did a bit of a write up after the colts semi final and will also share what I thought of him before he became a part of the club:

Frampton was the most impressive big guy on the ground. SF parents in front of me were bagging him out, but he took some excellent marks, broke even in the ruck contests with Della Franca and kicked a terrific running goal from outside 50 to start the final quarter.

(Fairly certain that this goal is on the highlights package on the clubs website)

He did play well that day, but his ruckwork wasn't overly noticeable. The pack grabs he was taking around the ground was the stanout feature of his game. Whilst the standard of draftable ruckmen going around in WA wasn't particularly good this year (which probably needs to be kept in mind when looking at some of Billy's most dominant games statistically), Della Franca is an underager who made the state squad and played a game or two so isn't a slouch IMO.

Frampton definitely has more of that intangible 'upside'. Spoke a little bit about him before a page or so back in this thread, he's very slight but has a nice ability to float around and take some impressive pack marks (suppose in the way Westhoff did when he first came in). At this stage if your picking him, it's probably more on style than substance - he moves very nicely, got a good leap, skills are impressive and gets on the scoreboard at colts level, but from what I've seen he's never looked like he's going to dominate a game and this is reflected in his stats.

Could be a worthwhile investment given his good traits, but honestly I wouldn't expect him to be rucking at state league level next year. Does some impressive things up forward, but yeah wouldn't say his output is overly substantial. Obviously recruiting departments at clubs will have a hell of a lot more info to base their opinions on him, but at a guess he's one who presents the age old 'glass half full or empty conundrum'.

Posted this about a month ago and the only thing that's changed is he now is wearing a Port guernsey. Very wiry frame, which I am not sure is quite ready to be leading the ruck in the SANFL. Think he can add quite a bit of value around the ground, but in a Westhoff-style floating role not as a fixed key position player. Despite the thin frame, he seems to go quite ok strengthwise and he doesn't lack for aggression so it's possible he could surprise me - but at this stage I think he'd be monstered if he had to come up against state league ruckmen like Angus Graham etc.

The attributes are there, so it's not difficult to see the glass as being half full but I think it could take a bit of time.

I doubt the club told him they would draft him. Would an AFL store be carrying a Port 1870 hoodie and he would have been drafted around 5pm maybe 5.30pm Perth time?? So he's either a fan or a Port WA fan lent him the top.

#PH408

Would have played a fair bit of footy with Callum AhChee, so that's a possibility

From the couple of minutes highlights package I saw I agree Hellgood , Frampton won't be ready to lead a $anfl ruck division. Hopefully Redden will be good to go for round 1 of the local comp and Frampton can give him a chop out. Maybe he can even go third man up and play as big follower to make use of his Westhoff-like mobility and around the ground marking power.

It doesn't look like Port will rookie another ruck although who knows with Parker after this year's selections? ;)

#PH408

A guy I work with has a daughter that is good mates with him. Apparently he was a Fremantle supporter. Wonder if the club had employees in Perth with a bag of goodies for him?

Just on this, how is Callum going. I think he is draft age next year isnt he?

The afl site had an article a couple of days about the top draft picks for 2015. He sounds like the type of player that Kenny would love.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-28/the-next-crop-who-are-2015s-top-draft-prospects

Callum Ah Chee

South Fremantle/Western Australia
9/10/97
180cm/69kg
Midfielder/half-forward
Despite missing this year's championships for WA due to injury, he remains one of the more exciting prospects for next season. Ah Chee possesses brilliant speed and combines that with excellent foot skills to be a damaging run-and-carry player. He likes that side of the game - taking opponents on, chasing them down, and doing it over and over. Ah Chee brings some dash to next year's pool.

Just on this, how is Callum going. I think he is draft age next year isnt he?

Might be being a bit harsh, but didn't have a lot of impact in the games I've seen him play. Was used mostly as a forward close to goal, in the semi final in particular was very well blanketed. Had a couple of big games this year, but IIRC they were in matches that SF had well under control. I think like Brendan initially, he might have some difficulty with a lack of a defined role. Then again I may be reading way too much into what has mostly been very good performances for an underage colts player.

Might be being a bit harsh, but didn't have a lot of impact in the games I've seen him play. Was used mostly as a forward close to goal, in the semi final in particular was very well blanketed. Had a couple of big games this year, but IIRC they were in matches that SF had well under control. I think like Brendan initially, he might have some difficulty with a lack of a defined role. Then again I may be reading way too much into what has mostly been very good performances for an underage colts player.

Underaged Colts player has shown he can stamp himself on matches. I think he is tracking well all things considered!

The afl site had an article a couple of days about the top draft picks for 2015. He sounds like the type of player that Kenny would love.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-28/the-next-crop-who-are-2015s-top-draft-prospects

Callum Ah Chee

South Fremantle/Western Australia
9/10/97
180cm/69kg
Midfielder/half-forward
Despite missing this year's championships for WA due to injury, he remains one of the more exciting prospects for next season. Ah Chee possesses brilliant speed and combines that with excellent foot skills to be a damaging run-and-carry player. He likes that side of the game - taking opponents on, chasing them down, and doing it over and over. Ah Chee brings some dash to next year's pool.
Ah Che and Zenith Cox would be my dream!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back