• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
I'll probably be in the minority, but don't want to see Ben Reid playing up forward this week, or at all, for the rest of the season. I want to see him spend all his time in the back half.

He's a former All-Australian CHB. The problem with our forward line isn't poor forwards, but poor delivery, and putting Reid inside the forward 50 isn't going to fix that.

Furthermore, for this week, have a look at the size of Adelaide's forward line:

Josh Jenkins - 198cm, 106kg
James Podsiadly - 193cm, 100kg
Taylor Walker - 192cm, 100kg
Tom Lynch - 191cm, 88kg

We'll get done for size like we did against Essendon if we stick with just Keeffe and Frost down back this week, and we need more stability and experience down there with Maxwell gone and Toovey now out this week too.

Where do you think Reid should play, both this week and beyond?

No.

Our best form last year coincides with him being swung forward.

He has trained and played as a forward since a year.

Our forward line is the area that needs the most help versus our back line which hasn't performed badly overall this season.

He will help Cloke get back into form.

He will help Jesse White play the role he was recruited for.

He kicks straight, and we need that.

So with all this considered, he should ALWAYS start forward and only go back if our backline is getting smashed or we look like we are lacking height.

Last edited:
Forward, the problem is we don't have any options forward of the ball while Reid and Elliott where out injured Cloke had to go solo. They will most likely drop Pods behind the ball to help there backline out and we will have Goldy playing on Lynch

I think the beauty is he can play either. I really don't pay much attention to where he is listed prior to the game. If we need him to go back then send him back. If we need him forward then send him forward.
I love watching him on the backline taking the intercept marks so ultimately if we had enough talent up forward I would prefer to see him playing back.

I'll probably be in the minority, but don't want to see Ben Reid playing up forward this week, or at all, for the rest of the season. I want to see him spend all his time in the back half.

He's a former All-Australian CHB. The problem with our forward line isn't poor forwards, but poor delivery, and putting Reid inside the forward 50 isn't going to fix that.

Tom Lynch - 191cm, 88kg

We'll get done for size like we did against Essendon if we stick with just Keeffe and Frost down back this week, and we need more stability and experience down there with Maxwell gone and Toovey now out this week too.

Poor delivery to our forwards lies in the hands of our mids more than our backmen. If anything, Reid is more likely to kick inside 50's playing as a forward pushing up the ground a little bit than kicking out from the backline.
Fingers crossed that BK, Broomy and Martin can help to clean up our forward entries too.

IMO Reid plays his best when he starts down back and at quarter time or half time moves forward.
He has a chance to get into the game, get his confidence up.
This is just from memory and have no stats to back it up.
I see what you are saying there but I think it is just perceived like that because he swung to games we were destined to lose

Tom Lynch - 191cm, 88kg

Delivery is an issue, but if you truly believe our forward line hasn't been full of poor forwards besides the obvous 2 this year, then you need to rewatch our games.

Reid finished last season up forward. He trained all pre season as a forward. He's made his return in the VFL as a forward. He'll be lining up in the forward line on Sunday. He won't dominate, he might even struggle but what he'll bring is class. If he can contribute with 12 touches, 6-8 marks and 2 goals it'll be a good return. As long as he doesn't get injured it'll be a win.

Also with Reid-Cloke-White up forward it means Goldsack will go back to do what he does best, defend in the backline. Who would've thought?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play Reid up forward and swing him back late in quarters to stop red time goals.

Tom Lynch - 191cm, 88kg

I agree with you, and I think we are in the minority.
I think he is a luxury for the forward line, but a necessity for the backline right now. Both backs/forwards are low on form right now, and it would be nice to put him in either - but you win games with defence first. We have been way too open down back when Maxy's not been there - and we were very poor defensively against Adelaide last time round.

If we are keeping White in the 22 (with only Witts, Im pretty sure we are), I would rather just have Elliot/White/Cloke up forward and Reid/Keefe/Frost all down back - because I think all 3 will be needed... if our Mids are winning the contest and we can keep the ball out of their 50 and push it into ours, then by all means move him forward - but if our mids continue like they have been, we need as much help as we can get down back to deal with their inside 50's.

Thing about Reid up forward that op is forgetting is that he is a proper, real lead out forward. He knows how to get a good few metres out front of his opponent and that is a lot easier to pass to than what we see with Cloke and others. So it's much easier for players without elite skills to hit their target because there is plenty of clear space he's leading in to. It's a welcome relief from the bomb to Cloke mentality.
It's a real shame Jesse White wasn't able to play like this.

Tom Lynch - 191cm, 88kg

Tom Lynch - 191cm, 88kg

If Reid doesn't start back we will lose.

If we had a capable second key forward I would agree Reid to the back half. We've got too many negating defenders - talls, mediums and smalls. Reid balances that better and is a fit with Frost who deep takes the number one option.

The sad reality is up forward we don't have a capable second option other than Reid. If you want Cloke to continue playing the way he's playing, play Reid back, if you want Cloke to play like he did last year, play Reid forward. Reid makes all the difference up front and will change the dynamic significantly up forward.

Unless Jon Patton or Tom Boyd somehow find their way onto our list next year or Mitch Clark comes out of retirement and joins Collingwood, Reid is required in the front half.

Really like his kicking coming out of defence but we also need him up forward. Clone?
I am really looking forward to seeing the 3 big fellas - Cloke, Reid & White work together this week.
The reason we recruited White is for this exact reason. Looking forward to it.

HF - Martin Cloke Kennedy
F - Elliott Reid White

Tell me your not excited to see this potential forward line on Sunday.

Back