Remove this Banner Ad

D-N-R

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE
The goal review system hasn't really delivered on what it promised. Before they introduced it there were a few calls a year which warranted further inspection. Before that, umpires made a decision based on what they thought and most of the time they got it right. There were, however, a couple of glaring misses in important games which necessitated the change.

Now, umpires are more than ever doubting their decisions. This has lead to numerous goal reviews, most of which haven't resulted in changing decisions, either through lack of evidence or through the umpire being correct in the first place. More importantly, I feel, is that many of these goal reviews have happened without the players objecting to the decision in the first place.

If the goal umpire makes a decision which neither team disagrees with, then why even bother with a review? If a defender doesn't claim that he has touched the ball there is a 100% chance that he hasn't. If several players see the ball touch the post, they should be the ones to bring it to the umpires' attention. The umpires should return to the previous system - if the goal umpire thinks it's touched, call it touched. The field umpire, the same. If the players disagree (and there are a lot more players than umpires), let them challenge it.

How would it work?

- Teams should be given 2 reviews a game. This would be sufficient in the majority of games and would prevent players using a review to simply slow down the play. An option might be to allow teams to keep their reviews if they overturn a decision.
- Players can ask for reviews for balls hitting the post, touched balls and clearly wrong decisions (ball passing between goal posts but given as a behind). Marks I would include as well, as they could change the scores and there is a genuine stop in play.**
- Umpires would be able to veto a review if they felt it was clearly frivolous. E.g. If the ball clearly goes between the posts, but a player claims it touched them, the umpire could dismiss the review to prevent time wasting.
- Goal line cameras need to be available for all games, regardless of where they are played. The goal umpire hat-cams have been very good too, although if an umpire is out of position, it becomes redundant.
- There will never be enough cameras in a ground to cover all possibilities, although the AFL or the broadcasters should look into increasing or improving this aspect. If they introduce hot-spot, it needs to be available at all grounds.
- Any doubt with a review should revert back to the umpire's decision, as is the case now.

Problems;
- The main problem I see at the moment is the quality of cameras used for broadcasting. Perhaps this could be discussed in the next broadcasting negotiations.
- Review times are too long and some decisions are still baffling. (Ziebell goal review). Hopefully time and experience will iron out these problems.
- **If a player punches a ball off the goal line back into the field of play, then play would have to continue. The difficulty here is when do you stop the game for a review if a team requests it? Players could conceivably play-on for 5 minutes without a stoppage, or score up the other end, only to have a decision overturned. What happens to the lost time? When does an umpire interrupt the play? Should the umpire upstairs automatically review this scenario as the game continues and then interrupt the play as soon as they have a result?

What do people think?

the players don't know most of the time and are in the wrong position alot of the time. ie: the saint kilda game years back when the ball went over the point post.
Not really. Two incidents from the weekend:

The Ziebell goal - the players on the line who were the ones who would have known if they had touched the ball don't appeal the decision (nor do they think it has touched the post). I think Viney makes a half hearted appeal, but he was nowhere near the contest. The goal umpire thinks it's a goal, but wants to confirm it wasn't touched. In the scenario I'm proposing, the goal umpire would call it a goal, and if the blokes on the line thought they had touched it, they would appeal. They were nowhere near it, so they wouldn't have appealed and it would have been a goal without any delay or controversy. (The decision that it touched the post was baffling - no system is going to rule out human error).

The other decision from the weekend was the ball that brushed the post in the Essendon v Crows match. The umpire didn't see it, but two or three players did and appealed immediately. It was quite clear on the replay that the ball's spin changed after it had passed by the post.

That's two incidents just from the weekend that would have had a better result if the player's had had the option of appealing.

In regards to the incident you mention, if the players are wrong, they are wrong, or if the review is inconclusive then so be it. Players will appeal if they think they have touched the ball or the ball has hit the post. There are more players than umpires and they are often in a better position to judge these incidents.

Just get rid of it and accept mistakes happen. Would be faster and 99% of the time still correct.
I guess that is an option. It has created more controversy than it has solved and just highlighted how unsure umpires really are.

And what happens if the review umpire gets it wrong??? You shouldn't compare the technology to Hawkeye in tennis or DRS in cricket because they provide a definitive yes or no.

And what happens if the review umpire gets it wrong??? You shouldn't compare the technology to Hawkeye in tennis or DRS in cricket because they provide a definitive yes or no.
Like I've said, you can't help human error.

I haven't compared cricket or tennis - I haven't even mentioned them. DRS in cricket hasn't exactly been perfect and relies on a third umpire to make the decision. Hawkeye in tennis and Soccer just measures where he ball is.

I'm not suggesting Player Reviews because they do them in these sports, but because;
- There is no point in the umpire checking if a ball was touched on the line if the players don't protest - they would know for certain.
- If players see the ball touch the post, then they should be able to ask the umpire to review it if the umpire misses it.

Look at the post above which details two incidents from the weekend which would have been better with this system.

Deduct pay from the umps when they get it wrong = No more wrong decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back