Poor service- retail

Remove this Banner Ad

I seem to remember watching people go through the main till for their groceries and asking for a packet of Winnie Blues or whatever to be told they had to walk around and buy them separately.

One of those things that just pisses off the customer and the person serving them for not a whole lot of obvious benefit.

I suppose the benefit is that they can control whether the filth is served to underagers.

Customers that argue about prices :mad:

I lost count of the amount of times I told them to take the catalog with them to the counter and discuss it with those at the register. I have no power to give them a discount.

Also we don't sell fancy pants chocolates, want the expensive allergy free chocolate go to a specialty shop!

Sometimes I wonder why we even bother with labels, people never look at them anyway, then complain when they don't agree with the price.

Sometimes I wonder why we even bother with labels, people never look at them anyway, then complain when they don't agree with the price.

One of the things that happened yesterday was a section of an aisle was decked out in M&M's (all sorts, same weight, different flavour packaging) all half price - 20 hooks worth in rows of 4, the reduced price was promoted with various signage on the hooks covering the original price (both A4 and slightly smaller sized print out sheets of paper). The person hounds me saying am I sure it's reduced ? I point out EVERY discounted label (as per the catalog) and said we both see the same thing, and yes you should be getting it at the reduced price not the full price. Seconds later the person serving her at the register runs down to me to double check. The customer was in the right, it's not my fault that the item itself was still scanning in at the expensive price.

Another person arked up over the price of a chocolate easter bunny, once again I don't set the prices so don't bite my head off because you've seen it cheaper elsewhere. Take your frustration out on the person at the register not the person that's tidying up the mess other customers leave behind.

I lol when I do the sports section (which contains exercise equipment and mountain bikes and such). I get asked questions relating to them and I just say - do I look like I am the type of person that uses these things ? :D

I lol when I do the sports section (which contains exercise equipment and mountain bikes and such). I get asked questions relating to them and I just say - do I look like I am the type of person that uses these things ? :D

Regarding this, because trade section is next to Plumbing, customers always come to ask us (usually we send them back to Plumbing and call the dude working there to meet him). One day there wasn't anyone in Plumbing so before I can say anything this dude tells me his entire debacle. I say sorry I'm not 100% sure, he chucks a sad, rinse a repeat throughout the store every day.

If I knew all about plumbing, would I be at Bunnings? Same with electrical questions. If I knew all this, I'd be an electrician, not retail.

They've probably seen you around the traps in your sports gear and figured you were sporty.

Hate to disappoint but I do not look like that in any way shape or form
Skinhead, no glasses, and I have better dress sense (excluding when I wear the Indian cricket shirt :D).
I am a big unit for sure, still am athletic and play tennis and basketball regularly :p.

They've probably seen you around the traps in your sports gear and figured you were sporty.

:D

I don't shop in that area very often so I'm rarely ever there outside of work itself.

Last edited:
One of the things that happened yesterday was a section of an aisle was decked out in M&M's (all sorts, same weight, different flavour packaging) all half price - 20 hooks worth in rows of 4, the reduced price was promoted with various signage on the hooks covering the original price (both A4 and slightly smaller sized print out sheets of paper). The person hounds me saying am I sure it's reduced ? I point out EVERY discounted label (as per the catalog) and said we both see the same thing, and yes you should be getting it at the reduced price not the full price. Seconds later the person serving her at the register runs down to me to double check. The customer was in the right, it's not my fault that the item itself was still scanning in at the expensive price.

Another person arked up over the price of a chocolate easter bunny, once again I don't set the prices so don't bite my head off because you've seen it cheaper elsewhere. Take your frustration out on the person at the register not the person that's tidying up the mess other customers leave behind.

Just make that s**t up.
I remember as a 15 year old working at K-Mart after school and on weekends back when the sports section sold guns and ammunition (mid to late 80's)
People would ask me what I recommended for hunting rabbits and foxes and s**t.
I'd just point to a .22 and say "that one will be right", they'd walk out with a gun and ammunition. How the * there was no mass murders in our K-Mart or shopping centre has still got me stuffed.

Just make that s**t up.
I remember as a 15 year old working at K-Mart after school and on weekends back when the sports section sold guns and ammunition (mid to late 80's)
People would ask me what I recommended for hunting rabbits and foxes and s**t.
I'd just point to a .22 and say "that one will be right", they'd walk out with a gun and ammunition. How the **** there was no mass murders in our K-Mart or shopping centre has still got me stuffed.
Whoa, I couldn't even imagine that

I think you have to buy cigarettes from the front counter in supermarkets. The same person serving people through the (typically) 8 items or less line will walk 2 metres to serve you at the front counter, but if you line up with the regular shoppers you can't/won't be served.

I haven't worked in a supermarket for nearly decades and I have never bought smokes, so I could be wrong on this.
I'm talking an IGA where the counter is a normal but designated ciggy counter with no 'front' counter

I remember watching a woman get abusive to one of the managers at Woolies when I worked there many moons ago, she had bought those $10 sneakers they sometimes sell and she wanted to return them for a refund or exchange them for a new pair, she had clearly been wearing them for at least 5 months considering how dirty they were and how much wear they had, and when he asked to see a receipt the paper was blank.

He was actually going to refund it as an act of good will to her but he starting his sentence with "Well I am happy to help but" and this chick flips out over these shoes before he finishes his sentence. Then he flips out over him abusing her and him kicking her out of the store.

Best part is, he was going to say to her "Well I am happy to help but we don't carry these shoes anymore, are you happy with a refund?"

Moral of the story, listen before you speak bitches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was at Rundle Mall Woolworths the other day to buy my evening meal of Frozen Lasagne, some Jack Daniels from the BWS, and some cat food, for my own consumption. I was served by this 15 year old with blonde hair, I thought 'Holy *, this kid looks far too dumb to handle my groceries'. The boy then tells me that my basics card can't be used to buy liquor or smokes. Is he taking the piss? * me, Woolworths really has gone downhill.

I think you have to buy cigarettes from the front counter in supermarkets. The same person serving people through the (typically) 8 items or less line will walk 2 metres to serve you at the front counter, but if you line up with the regular shoppers you can't/won't be served.

I haven't worked in a supermarket for nearly decades and I have never bought smokes, so I could be wrong on this.
Correct.

Was at Rundle Mall Woolworths the other day to buy my evening meal of Frozen Lasagne, some Jack Daniels from the BWS, and some cat food, for my own consumption. I was served by this 15 year old with blonde hair, I thought 'Holy ****, this kid looks far too dumb to handle my groceries'. The boy then tells me that my basics card can't be used to buy liquor or smokes. Is he taking the piss? **** me, Woolworths really has gone downhill.

Why was it being discussed? The boy wouldn't have been the one selling you the liquor and smokes.

So at my most recent shift I got this guy asking me if he we had somewhere that he would be able to "test" how bright the lightglobes were that he was going to buy. I casually said no we don't have that here - in my mind I was going "we're not bunnings you idiot" :D.

I am also being sickingly overly cheerful to everyone I encounter and amusing myself while on the job (might look a little too OTT but oh well). When someone needs to know where something is I have a little stupid fun with it and say something like "let's go on a road trip, follow me" :D

It wasn't really that quiet for me, crowds were down but saturday afternoon was busy with heaps of people at the registers buying stuff. I still got asked silly questions and had to direct people to what they were after. The time after the store closed was pretty easy though, not as much work to do once everyone had gone (for example: no need to sort out and rearrange the easter section when it had been gutted by customers to the point where there was nothing left). Sunday was much of the same and fingers crossed that today is also dead. I worked Christmas eve and that was insane especially for someone like me that does the Christmas shopping weeks/up to 2 months in advance so I avoid the mayhem.

Also how good is it to work Easter weekend...so quiet :)
So envious! We're a 24/7 store, and the only days of the year we shut are Christmas and Good Friday. I worked on Saturday and holy Jesus it was busy. Had about 15 people queued for express, and a further 10 lining up for self service.

Of course, Woolies decided it would be best to trial three newbies that day. Countless 'service 10s' eugh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back