News Port Adelaide have applied to join the VFL by 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be home & away like the AFL.

The more pertinent question is that they would need to give up the Magpies & prison bars.
It's not the issue you think it is we haven't worn a magpies logo at SANFL level for a few years now.

It's a heritage guernsey & should be worn only in the AFL on certain occasions although David Koch painted into the Showdown corner stupidly.

It's not the issue you think it is we haven't worn a magpies logo at SANFL level for a few years now.

It's a heritage guernsey & should be worn only in the AFL on certain occasions although David Koch painted into the Showdown corner stupidly.
Sure, but your sanfl team is still known as the Magpies & wear the prison bars, so gather you are ok with leaving that behind for an AFL reserves.

Probably a few boomers who haven't yet twigged that they've been the Power reserves for a decade may not.
Back in my day, I knew a few that only followed the VFA and would refuse to watch the VFL. There’s probably more that stayed with the SANFL then follow the AFL.

So where do those PA supporters go for if they refuse the AFL and will not accept Port Power in the VFL?

Back in my day, I knew a few that only followed the VFA and would refuse to watch the VFL. There’s probably more that stayed with the SANFL then follow the AFL.

So where do those PA supporters go for if they refuse the AFL and will not accept Port Power in the VFL?
You think the majority of Port fans stuck with the SANFL team and don't watch the AFL?

It is an SANFL heritage guernsey.

Should only be worn if playing an SANFL team - Norwood, Glenelg etc.

They hold meetings in a disused phone box on Ocean Steamers road.
Well I’ll be sad to see the jumper gone from a higher League.

Just as I don’t like the names Fitzroy and Footscray aren’t in the AFL anymore.

I’ll soon be senile in time and forget anyway…

Well I’ll be sad to see the jumper gone from a higher League.

Just as I don’t like the names Fitzroy and Footscray aren’t in the AFL anymore.

I’ll soon be senile in time and forget anyway…
I'd be happy with it worn a few times a year in the AFL, I'd have chosen Anzac Round over the Showdown shoehorning.. but Koch is an idiot as we know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This idea that Port somehow "lose" their SANFL history just because they move on from it is wierd.

Our SANFL record always be a proud part of our history. As will be the fact that we are the only club based side to elevate out of a non Vic league.

And now we can 100% focus on creating more history in the National league.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I mean

Do you hear Essendon fans going on about their 1891-94 VFA premierships? Do you hear Collingwood go on about their 1896 VFA premiership? Do you hear Carlton going on about their 1877 and 1887 VFA premierships? Do you hear Richmond go on about their 1902 or 1905 VFA Premierships?

You would actually be in the exact same boat as all the Victorian teams. Yet it'd only be you guys seeking approval for that history when the Victorian teams don't give a s**t.

They'd actually look down on you and laugh at you.

The 2014 SANFL/AFL agreement is a complex arrangement but basically the SANFL has drawn up a set of rules that are supposed to guard against the prospect of the two AFL Clubs dominating the SANFL. There are a range of restrictions including the number of non AFL players the two AFL clubs can recruit to supplement their AFL lists in the SANFL, a qualification on players eligibility to play in the SANFL finals. The other eight SANFL clubs have few restrictions other than a salary cap. The AFL clubs are not permitted under age sides in the SANFL U19 competition and as a consequence they have lost the ability to bring juniors up through the ranks within the club. Father & son prospects such as Jackson Mead, Jase Burgoyne and several others play their junior football for opposition SANFL clubs prior to being drafted.

As posted the issue is complex and only someone supporting an AFL club in SA would appreciate the difficulty. I am sure that Port would love to establish and arrangement like Fremantle have with Peel Thunder in the WAFL but the SANFL rules will not allow it. I have no idea what the relationship between the WAFL and WCE and Freo is like but in South Australia there has always been resentment between Port Adelaide and the SANFL. A lot of this stems from Port's initial bid to join the AFL which was blocked by the other nine SANFL clubs. Prior to 2014 Port's AFL licence was owned by the SANFL and part of the deal for the SANFL to cede the Port Adelaide AFL licence to Port, where it should have always been, was for Port to agree to a range of conditions which inhibited the Club's ability to be competitive in the State league.

Port Adelaide and Adelaide joining the VFL may not be a panacea but at least all AFL clubs fielding sides in the VFL will do so on an equal footing.
Maybe you should negotiate with the clubs?

Adelaide got NGA Academy player Blayne O'Laughlin out of North Adelaide (if not selected for Crows, can play for North's Ressies)
And next year we have the same with Father-Son Tyler Welsh.

And didn't you also get that with Jase Burgoyne as well (But only in his draft year)?

EDIT: TBH - I agree with some of the restrictions the SANFL implemented, but disagree with others. Cutting the youth systems was 100% the right call. Adelaide/Port Adelaide had the advantage of the AFL players. Don't give them added youth. Do Essendon have that? Do West Coast have that? NO!

The top up players - It was originally bs that clubs had to recruit trash and could only have them onboard for 1 year. But that rule has now been changed. Clubs can recruit better players and have them for longer. It's what turned Adelaide's reserves from fighting with Westies for the wooden spoon to being solidified in the top 5.

Equal footing - that's exactly what the SANFL clubs want for their league, but it's impossible when you have two teams with a virtually unlimited salary cap and different recruitment rules.
The one thing I did find funny 10 years ago when we got the 2 standalone AFL reserves teams instead of everyone being spread around was SANFL fans afraid of AFL dominance.

In the 5 years prior, AFL teams won 2 QFL premierships and 1 AFL Canberra premiership.

And the SANFL is a whole lot stronger than the QFL and AFL Canberra leagues. The QFL is comparable to the Amatuer League in players. Those fears were unjust and Adelaide/Port Adelaide (Adelaide in particular) got screwed by the SANFL.

If Port fans think they got screwed over, at least you had u16s, u18s and reserves (to your reserves) there. It got scaled back slowly as to not screw over the kids already in the system. And even to this day, you have home games.

Clubs are allowed to acknowledge their history it's irrelevant what anyone else thinks you are just a peabrain to think otherwise.

I find the minnow SANFL club supporters are the ones that talk about it more than us anyway, your pathetic little clubs couldn't elevate themselves to a higher comp so accept your quasi state team and move on.

Should be just an AFL reserves for all teams and the reserves fixture follows seniors fixtures and all games are curtain raisers to the Seniors AFL team at the grounds imo.

VFL, SANFL, WAFL and others with no AFL clubs.

Port Magpies the SANFL club with no affiliation to Power should still exist, but will probably struggle due to all the fans invested in AFL.

The more pertinent question is that they would need to give up the Magpies & prison bars.
I can't see why not - at VFL/reserves level nobody is likely to care.

There are already two Lions teams (Brisbane and Coburg) and two Tigers teams (Richmond and Werribee).
It's no big issue if there are two Magpies teams.

All that s**t is over they are not a separate entity they are the dedicated reserves arm of the club under the same umbrella.
Bye bye magpies then. Just have reserves power in afl reserves. Done.

Bye bye magpies then. Just have reserves power in afl reserves. Done.
I'd have no real issue if the club was still to field an SANFL model if they join an AFL reserves comp, but it would require the SANFL to give the zones back & accept that it's all essentially run by an AFL club.. highly unlikely with SA football politics.

I'd have no real issue if the club was still to field an SANFL model if they join an AFL reserves comp, but it would require the SANFL to give the zones back & accept that it's all essentially run by an AFL club.. highly unlikely with SA football politics.
And that no afl players can play in it as well. Not sure why there would have to be an issue as long as power still want to fund the sanfl club.

Port Magpies the SANFL club with no affiliation to Power should still exist, but will probably struggle due to all the fans invested in AFL.
'Port Magpies the SANFL club' existed for 13 mostly unsuccessful years, from 1997 until 2010 until it merged with the PAFC. The PAFC has fielded its senior team in the SANFL since 1877 and in the AFL since 1997.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back