AFLW Port Adelaide vs Brisbane - Round 2 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

We've got like 6 good players. That's the issue.

Houghton, Tahau, Saint, Dowrick, Ewing's, Scholz. 4 of them are pretty darn young.

Maybe you could also include Cuthbertson, Ballard, Mules, Foley and an aging Phillips.

Hammond shouldn't be in the comp, Boag x2, Duursma, Syme, Teakle, O'Dea, Dunn, MacLachlan, Stewart. These players all aren't up to the standard.

We desperately need some half decent outside wingers, and then some flankers that can hold that outside shape, link up and impact the play.

The shape is there. The defenders panic and just boot it indiscriminately out straight to the opposition.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

15.........................23:straining:
And the umps were absolutely ruthless with us, pulling us up every single time there was the slightest whiff of an incorrect tackle or disposal. While theyn let go a lot of more obvious infringements by Brisbane.

It’s like Brisbane were able to choose what they would like the umpires to do to help them, and they got exactly what they wanted.

We've got like 6 good players. That's the issue.

Houghton, Tahau, Saint, Dowrick, Ewing's, Scholz. 4 of them are pretty darn young.

Maybe you could also include Cuthbertson, Ballard, Mules, Foley and an aging Phillips.

Hammond shouldn't be in the comp, Boag x2, Duursma, Syme, Teakle, O'Dea, Dunn, MacLachlan, Stewart. These players all aren't up to the standard.

We desperately need some half decent outside wingers, and then some flankers that can hold that outside shape, link up and impact the play.
Not saying I fully disagree with this in terms of the current state of the list, but we are a developing side. Quite a few of the players listed still show a high ceiling in my opinion.

That was really disheartening to watch. I had no idea we were such a slow team. Arnell said we “added some speed around the ball” at the start of the third quarter. But we were getting killed for “speed around the ball” from the very first bounce. It’s going to be a big problem for the rest of the year.

There didn’t seem to be any connection between them at all, we couldn’t get any chains of possession going. I thought we had focussed on this in training this preseason, but no evidence of it.

Playing two tough teams like Adelaide and Brisbane, we really needed our experienced players to step up and shoulder the burden. But the experienced players we brought in this year have contributed very little so far. If they can’t step up in future, we’re in big trouble.

The extra layer of frustration is, we poured so much money and countless manhours into forging the alternate China-related revenue streams in a bid to be more self-sufficient and graduate up from the ‘have nots’, while the AFLW quickly became a fully-subsidised gravy train for the ‘haves’.

You’ve got to laugh.
I don’t have a problem with the club showing initiative and looking outside the square, it’s easy to have a dig now.

I don’t have a problem with the club showing initiative and looking outside the square, it’s easy to have a dig now.

It’s less “a dig” and more annoyance at the extremes we went to in a bid to do the right thing, while the top table basically did nothing and had another advantage fall in their laps.

Not sure what people were expecting this season? We're probably a draft or two from being competitive against teams like Adelaide and Brisbane.

What you should find ridiculous is the concept that the 'best club in the land' - meaning the club that finishes the highest in both the AFL and AFLW - gets $1m in prizemoney. Then you start to recognise why this was brought in - from 2022:

1694239183228.png

Not sure what people were expecting this season? We're probably a draft or two from being competitive against teams like Adelaide and Brisbane.

What you should find ridiculous is the concept that the 'best club in the land' - meaning the club that finishes the highest in both the AFL and AFLW - gets $1m in prizemoney. Then you start to recognise why this was brought in - from 2022:

View attachment 1798126
Made even more ridiculous by the AFLW games counting double what the men's games do because there are less of them lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back