Port Adelaide vs Carlton @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard Ricciuto this morning saying he picked Carlton .. but only because he was behind on the tipsters poll and was trying to make up ground with an upset.

tumblr_m3bpydbjvc1qlar22o1_1280.jpg

I heard Ricciuto this morning saying he picked Carlton .. but only because he was behind on the tipsters poll and was trying to make up ground with an upset.

If you were going with an upset surely GWS has a better chance against Collingwood!

(from the AFL.com match report)

BEST PLAYERS:
Port Adelaide: Gray, Boak, Wingard, Hartlett, Westhoff, Carlile
Carlton: Gibbs, Wood, Rowe, Judd, Carrazzo
________________WTF!!! :eek:

Juddy had just 3 contested possessions and 6 effective disposals 'til 3/4 time. He was so quiet, his Channel 7 fanclub hardly called out his name, once their spaffing died down at the 10 minute mark of the 1st quarter.

What a joke.

Wood was good at being a pretend hard sort of bloke.

But seriously he made their best?

I guess they have to choose someone.

It's like getting a voucher for a cheeseburger and small fries when playing u7's.

It's like getting a voucher for a cheeseburger and small fries when playing u7's.

Yep...if Judd is there the cupboard is bare...although surely Casboult deserves a mention over Judd at least!

Waking up this morning kind of sucked after that. Still not sure if bottom six being developed or bottom six needs to be culled.

Waking up this morning kind of sucked after that. Still not sure if bottom six being developed or bottom six needs to be culled.
Next week is a big week for Carlton. How will the players respond, particularly the bottom six.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are been pretty mellow about it compared to Collingwood's bleatings after the Brisbane game.

That's because you've become accustomed to it, we haven't, thankfully it hasn't happened much to us over the past few years.
It's the culture you've become ingrained in, your board is full of 'oh well, we've been up for a month' and 'blah, blah, blah is out it had to happen'. Load of s**t and a nice soft out for you and it doesn't hurt as much as it used too.

(from the AFL.com match report)

BEST PLAYERS:
Port Adelaide: Gray, Boak, Wingard, Hartlett, Westhoff, Carlile
Carlton: Gibbs, Wood, Rowe, Judd, Carrazzo
________________WTF!!! :eek:

Juddy had just 3 contested possessions and 6 effective disposals 'til 3/4 time. He was so quiet, his Channel 7 fanclub hardly called out his name, once their spaffing died down at the 10 minute mark of the 1st quarter.

What a joke.
I could name about 10 Port players better then him too...

Sick of him being so overrated.

I have been saying this for several years now, not because I'm trying to troll Carlton supporters but because I honestly feel it to be true. I think is more than obvious that Carlton need to stop thinking about next year as a premiership chance, stop going for the quick fixes and start putting into place a 5 year plan for rebuilding towards the future. It is obvious the current Carlton list is a long way from developing into a team ready to compete for a flag. Misguided optimism is one thing, cold reality is another.

I would have thought if there was one person who understood this from his days at Collingwood it would be Malthouse, but he sits there crapping on about the odd game where Carlton have done well against the top sides, saying it proves Carlton aren't far away, but he neglects to comment on the many poor performances the team has turned in while he's been in charge.

The two most glaring examples of poor list development are:

1) The recruitment of Judd in 2008. This would have been a great move had Carlton been sniffing around the top 4-6 spots for a couple of years and needed a quality midfielder to top up their list. However, this was not the case. They were cellar dwellers, had been for years, but there was Carlton saying all they needed was Judd, and a premiership was assured. For the money they invested in Judd, they could have recruited 2-3 good experienced players to bring the kids through, one a forward, one a midfielder, one a defender. All the recruitment of Judd achieved was for Judd to cruise along picking up some B&Fs, and a Brownlow, made possible by nobody else in the team good enough to take votes off him.

2) The appointment of Mick Malthouse as coach. Although Ratten wasn't doing a tremendous job, he was doing a sound one, and Carlton weren't in too bad a shape at the time they sacked him. Okay, they probably decided they were at a stage where they thought a different style of coach is necessary. Nothing wrong with that. However, once again the selection of Malthouse smacked to me of "We have the players, all we need is a successful coach and a premiership is ours". Once again, sound thinking if Carlton DID have the players, but they didn't. They were still at a stage where list development should have been their priority. Now, if Malthouse agreed to this, no problem. However, everything Mick has said sounds as though he expects to be coaching a flag within the next 2 years. Sorry Mick, this just isn't going to happen, and you should know that. For this reason I think, once again, it was a poor decision. They have the wrong coach for the situation they are in.

The reason I feel I can say this this is because in the 1980s, Carlton and my club Hawthorn were at the stage where to be successful, they continued to recruit big names from SANFL, WAFL, etc. They had the money to do this. Once we were faced with the draft and salary cap, neither club changed our ways and suffered as a result. About 10 years ago, Hawthorn finally woke up and realized what was required to be successful in today's footy and saw the need to implement a plan that meant shot term pain for long term gain. Carlton have not done this, they've continued to go for the short term quick fix, and while they continue to do this, they'll always be a middle of the road side with occasional highs but many lows.

Carlton fans may disagree all they like, but if they are being honest with themselves they would have to agree with some of what I've said, if not all. And if their club is being realistic, they need to stop over-rating their players and take a long hard look at what can be done to improve their list.

That's because you've become accustomed to it, we haven't, thankfully it hasn't happened much to us over the past few years.
It's the culture you've become ingrained in, your board is full of 'oh well, we've been up for a month' and 'blah, blah, blah is out it had to happen'. Load of s**t and a nice soft out for you and it doesn't hurt as much as it used too.

We had 11 players out there with less then 50 games under their belt and 5 of them had played less then 10 games. We could barely field 25 players and a fully fit top 4 contenders smacked us around on their home ground. It happens.

Compare that to Brisbane smashing Collingwood by 70 points when Brisbane is a bottom four team playing away. Considering the fact you support a club that has been more then happy to watch itself turn into complete crap under Buckley I wouldn't be the one accusing others of accepting mediocrity.

We had 11 players out there with less then 50 games under their belt and 5 of them had played less then 10 games. We could barely field 25 players and a fully fit top 4 contenders smacked us around on their home ground. It happens.

Compare that to Brisbane smashing Collingwood by 70 points when Brisbane is a bottom four team playing away. Considering the fact you support a club that has been more then happy to watch itself turn into complete crap under Buckley I wouldn't be the one accusing others of accepting mediocrity.

Yep, as I said you can always have excuses and accept it. It's part of your culture and it no longer hurts as much for you. Kudos to you if that's your thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back