Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I do not like the prison bars and like teal as a colour. I grew up watching the power and magpies were before my time, I get the historical element of the prison bars but its also a bit disrespectful to the AFL era and identity. I started a hashing of #notealnodeal years ago as a joke but I stand by it now!

At the end of the day we joined the AFL and it would have been stupid to have 2 teams have the same colours and similar designs, especially in such a small competition. Perhaps if we had our time again we may have gone down a different path but you cannot rewrite history or just forget 25 years.
First you say you don’t hate the crows in the other thread and now this garbage.

What you all expect the highest profile sporting organization in the country just give away it's own heritage so your team can wear what is not it's original jumper anyway?
How does what Port wear affect Carringbush in ANY WAY AT ALL?

Check out how many teams wear identical colors in the EPL. Does it make them lose their heritage? No, what a ridiculous claim.

TeamHomeAway
Accrington StanleyRedSky Blue
AFC BournemouthRed & Black StripesBlue & Black
AFC WimbledonBlueYellow
ArsenalRed & WhiteGold & Blue
Aston VillaClaret & BlueBlue & Claret
BarnetBlack & OrangeBlue
BarnsleyRed & WhiteBlue
Barrow AFCBlue & WhiteGreen & Black
Birmingham CityBlue with WhiteGrey & Black
Blackburn RoversBlue & WhiteGrey & Green
BlackpoolOrange & WhiteDark & Light Blue Stripes
Bolton WanderersWhite & BlueYellow
Bradford CityClaret & AmberNavy & Amber
BrentfordRed & White StripesGreen
Brighton & Hove AlbionBlue & White StripesDark Grey
Bristol CityRed & WhiteBlack
Bristol RoversBlue & White SquaresGrey/Blue
Burnley FCClaret & Light BlueLight Blue
Burton AlbionYellow & BlackWhite with Yellow
BuryWhite & BlueBlue, Grey and Black
Cambridge UnitedYellow & Black StripesBlack & Yellow
Carlisle UnitedBlue & WhiteBlack & Yellow
Charlton AthleticRed & WhiteBlack
ChelseaBlueWhite
Cheltenham TownRed, White & BlackYellow
ChesterfieldBlue & WhiteRed & White
Colchester UnitedBlue & WhiteGreen and Yellow
Coventry CitySky BlueYellow & Blue
Crawley TownRed & WhiteDark Blue & Light Blue
Crewe AlexandraRed & WhiteBlue
Crystal PalaceRed & BlueBlack
Dagenham & RedbridgeBlue & Red StripesWhite & Blue
Derby CountyWhite with BlackLight Blue
Doncaster RoversRed & White StripesBlue & Yellow
EnglandWhiteNavy Blue
EvertonBlue and WhitePink and Blue
Exeter CityRed, White & BlackYellow & Black
Fleetwood TownRed & WhiteYellow
Forest Green RoversBright Green & BlackBlack & White
FulhamWhite & BlackRed with Faded Black Stripes
GillinghamBlueRed
Gloucester CityBlack & YellowWhite, Red & Black
Grimsby TownBlack, White & RedBlue
Harrogate TownYellow & BlackSky Blue
Hartlepool UnitedBlue & White StripesYellow
Huddersfield TownBlue & White StripesBlue
Hull CityOrange & BlackWhite
Ipswich TownBlue with WhiteMaroon with Blue
KingstonianRed, White and BlackYellow
Leeds UnitedWhiteGrey & Pink
Leicester CityBlue & WhitePink & Black
Leyton OrientRedBlue
Lincoln CityRed & White StripesGrey with Blue
LiverpoolRed with white detailWhite with red detail
Luton TownOrange & BlueWhite & Blue
Macclesfield Town Football ClubBlue & WhiteRed & Black
Manchester CitySky Blue & WhiteBlack
Manchester UnitedRed, White and BlackWhite and Black
Mansfield TownYellow & BlueWhite & Blue Stripes
MiddlesbroughRed with WhiteWhite, Red, Blue
MillwallBlack & WhiteYellow & Black
MK DonsWhite with GoldRed with Gold
MorecambeRed & Black StripesWhite & Black
Newcastle UnitedBlack & White stripesGreen
Northampton TownMaroon & WhiteBlack & White
Norwich CityYellow & GreenRed & Orange
Nottingham ForestRedDark & Light Blue
Notts CountyBlack & White StripesBlue with Grey Cheque
Oldham AthleticBlue and WhiteOrange and Blue
Oxford UnitedYellow & BlueWhite with Yellow/Blue Sash
Peterborough UnitedBlue & WhiteBlack & Purple
Plymouth ArgyleGreen, White & BlackWhite & Green
Port ValeYellow, Black & WhiteBlack & Yellow
PortsmouthBlue, White & RedGrey
Preston North EndWhite & BlueYellow
Queens Park RangersBlue & White HoopsTurquoise
ReadingBlue & WhiteBlack & Grey
RochdaleBlue with Black StripesGrey with Centre Stripe
Rotherham UnitedRed & WhiteWhite & Red
Salford City FCRed & WhiteBlack & White
Scampaignerhorpe UnitedClaret & BlueGreen and Black
Sheffield UnitedRed & WhiteWhite & Red
Sheffield WednesdayBlue & White StripeGreen & White
Shrewsbury TownBlue and Yellow StripesPurple
SouthamptonRed & White stripesYellow & Grey
Southend UnitedBlue and WhiteYellow and Black
StevenageRed & WhiteBlue & Black
Stoke CityRed & White stripesBlack & Grey
SunderlandRed & White stripesBlue with Red
Swindon TownRed & WhiteGreen Cheque
Tottenham HotspurWhite & Cadet BlueCadet Blue
Tranmere RoversWhite with BlueMaroon Patterned
WalsallRed, White and BlackBlue & White
WatfordYellow & Black StripesBlue & White Pinstripe
West Bromwich AlbionNavy Blue & White StripesYellow & Green Stripes
West Ham UnitedClaret & BlueWhite
Wigan AthleticBlue & White StripesRed
Wolverhampton WanderersOrange with BlackBlack with Orange
Wycombe WanderersDark Blue & Light BlueYellow
Yeovil TownGreen & White StripeBlack & Grey Cheque
York CityRed & BlueWhite & Red

Check out how many teams wear identical colors in the EPL. Does it make them lose their heritage? No, what a ridiculous claim.

TeamHomeAway
AFC WimbledonBlueYellow
BarnetBlack & OrangeBlue
BarnsleyRed & WhiteBlue
ChelseaBlueWhite
EnglandWhiteNavy Blue
GillinghamBlueRed
Leyton OrientRedBlue

Teams often wear their 2nd or 3rd strip for away games even when there is no clash. It's a marketing opportunity to sell more shirts. I'm surprised the AFL clubs haven't caught on.

Left field twist: Geelong wears the Prison Bars on Saturday night.

Would barely make their clash with Collingwood any worse.

Gotta say I love the passion on both sides, real tribal.

My view from purely an observation of history.

Port first adorned the prison bars in 1902, Collingwood wore the black and white stripes in the competition since 1897.

This is Ports first jumper
View attachment 980364

These are Ports jumper at the same time that Collingwood wore the black and white stripes in this competition.

View attachment 980373

If Port want to wear their traditional jumper I don't think anyone, HQ included would have a problem with it.

What the problem is that Port's fans want their team to wear the prison bars, because that's what they identify with. Fair enough, can understand the want.

What you can't do is be in the league for 5 minutes (figuratively speaking) and demand that your team is allowed to wear a jumper that clashes with an original member club of the competition that was wearing black and white before this club anyway. That's just insulting and reeks of unwarranted entitlement.

What you all expect the highest profile sporting organization in the country just give away it's own heritage so your team can wear what is not it's original jumper anyway?

And then some of you take offence when you're told to GAGF? Yeah nah, pull your heads in!
You know that the AFL set a precedent with similar colours when they admitted Adelaide into the competition with red, yellow and blue?

Another Vic team in the competition had those colours? Fitzroy.

Did anyone really, truly think that Adelaide were stealing Fitzroys heritage? Of course not. Some wouldn't have even noticed. Some are probably realising this for the first time, reading those words.

It's only Collingwood and Eddie that are rattling the cage here, because it's not something that's happening that is resulting in a net financial gain for the club. Good on em I say. Ditch whatever history doesn't make them money, and selectively keep the history that does and argue for the sake of tradition.

I think the ones that have to answer to this are the AFL. They own the rights to the club logos, brands, guernsey's, colours for a national football comp. They can, and should have, made this simple decision years ago. Ask them why they don't, not Collingwood.

And also for those who may not know, the prison bar name for the guernsey was originally a derogatory term by opponents for its design, the white actually represents the wharves / pylons along the Port River. There is community history and ties involved there, not just a cool design that we could add teal to.

Interesting listening to Mark Williams take on it last night on the front bar.

Absolute legend of both clubs Port Magpies and Port Power and he said the Powers identity has teal and they should stick with it.

He did also say that Port should be able to wear the magpies guernsey when they play against the crows. He also said it’s never been called the prison bar guernsey by Port Adelaide, it’s some new thing the media has called it.

I’d be okay with just against the crows but that’s where it should stop

I don't know why we didn't have this jumper from day1.
Far better representation of Port Adelaide than the V we have now..

This could be the home jumper then we don the complete black and white on heritage occasions or v the crows if we are allowed.

Do people not like this one?

View attachment 979579

Others may not but I certainly like it. I think you are alluding to it but I don't think this argument would be playing out if this was your current strip.

There are a few arguments to be had here (all my opinion):

• "Port should be able to wear the bars" - Maybe yes, maybe no. Personally, I'm not sure. While the club grew from the SANFL club I think it's fair to say there is at least a fork in the road in 1997 when their SANFL side kept the bars and the AFL side added teal. It's a question for the voting members (so they can vote for it at the AGM and then let the board do it's job) on whether it's the colours, the design or the whole lot that they would like to see. I'm not sure if I can be subjective on this part of the issue but if Richmond were to step up in competitions (if the AFL wasn't the pinnacle) I think it's fair that we change from being the tigers in our current strip with the obvious one being our reversed away guernsey. My personal opinion is that reversing colours doesn't really work for stripes/hoops as the difference in the reversed striped doesn't really meet the intent of a clash strip. which leads me to...
  • "Collingwood flouts the clash strip rules so why shouldn't we flout the rules too" - Yeah, I agree and I don't like Eddie's argument of black on white vs white on black. If you have to do deals with the likes of Geelong to meet the requirement of a clash strip then it isn't really a clash strip. This is where I think the argument really stands up for Port - why can't they wear the bars as a clash or away strip? Again, it'd be up to the club and it's members on what to fight for (i.e. how often they want to wear the bars) but in all negotiations there is compromise and from an outsider looking in this would be fair.
  • "Collingwood has a contract signed with Port Adelaide" - pretty simple one here - produce said contract. It doesn't even need to be made public, just produced to the AFL to stop the argument. If no contract can be found the Port Adelaide has a really good argument to change what they wear. If there is a contract then it's simply Koch grandstanding on an issue he has no control over and trying to paint Collingwood/Eddie as the bad guy and vice-versa if there isn't. Contracts can be changed but all parties need to be happy to change. If Collingwood isn't happy then that should be the end of it, although there is no harm in asking.

Was there ever a guernsey produced in 1990 when Port were first accepted into the AFL? If so, what was it? Was a contract signed with Collingwood then? Did Port even get to that stage (I know they were pretty advanced so I'd be surprised if they didn't).

What's the right answer? I don't know. This really should have been sorted out between Collingwood, Port Adelaide and the AFL long ago.

He did also say that Port should be able to wear the magpies guernsey when they play against the crows.

It's not a Magpies guernsey, it's a Port Adelaide guernsey.

He also said it’s never been called the prison bar guernsey by Port Adelaide

The "prison bar" nickname came sometime in the 1970s/80s where opposition supporters (mainly Norwood) used it as an insult. It was very quickly co-opted by Port supporters as a badge of honour and it has stuck.

I've been a Port supporter since the mid-70s and clearly remember the guernsey being referred to as 'prison bars' around the late 80s. It ramped up in the 90s due to the our bid to join the VFL/AFL and has been in play since then.

I have never once heard it being referred to as the "wharf pylon guernsey" unless its someone 'correcting' the prison bar name. Even though this was understood as the inspiration for the design, it never entered the vernacular as a recognised nickname for the guernsey. Unlike Prison Bars or just The Bars.

it’s some new thing the media has called it.

It's not new and it is used by the club internally.

You may be thinking of the recent use of the term 'prison bars' for Collingwood's guernsey. That is certainly something new that has been driven by the media.

Gotta say I love the passion on both sides, real tribal.

My view from purely an observation of history.

Port first adorned the prison bars in 1902, Collingwood wore the black and white stripes in the competition since 1897.

This is Ports first jumper
View attachment 980364

These are Ports jumper at the same time that Collingwood wore the black and white stripes in this competition.

View attachment 980373

If Port want to wear their traditional jumper I don't think anyone, HQ included would have a problem with it.

What the problem is that Port's fans want their team to wear the prison bars, because that's what they identify with. Fair enough, can understand the want.

What you can't do is be in the league for 5 minutes (figuratively speaking) and demand that your team is allowed to wear a jumper that clashes with an original member club of the competition that was wearing black and white before this club anyway. That's just insulting and reeks of unwarranted entitlement.

And then some of you take offence when you're told to GAGF? Yeah nah, pull your heads in!

Your identity isn't based on what you did first, it's what you did most.
We've worn some of our AFL guernsey designs more than we've worn the two you've highlighted.

Which is not to say that those guernseys are unimportant, they're very important, and have featured in our heritage rounds, merchandise, memorabilia, and had a strong presence in our 150th celebrations. We certainly do not hide the fact that these are part of our history.

To deny that the prison bar design is not intrinsic to the identity of the Port Adelaide Football Club shows a complete lack of knowledge about the history of Australian Football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie has made a perfectly good suggestion, if the prison bars are so important- add teal to the pattern

Just like the AFL has made a perfectly good suggestion, if every club needs a clash guernsey - ******* make one.

A lot of the posts in this thread are simply “do it to stick it up the pies”

And there lies the issue, you’re not telling me if the Team admitted had been Glenelg the tigers would not have had an issue?

The problem is we give an inch, they take a mile, first it’s the showdown, then it’s every home game-before you know it is their main jumper and try as you might- this jumper blatantly matches ours

Eddie has made a perfectly good suggestion, if the prison bars are so important- add teal to the pattern

It has nothing to do with Eddie so his opinion should be null and void.

Last edited:

TeamHomeAway
AFC WimbledonBlueYellow
BarnetBlack & OrangeBlue
BarnsleyRed & WhiteBlue
ChelseaBlueWhite
EnglandWhiteNavy Blue
GillinghamBlueRed
Leyton OrientRedBlue

EPL? That's your argument? No one gives a flying about the epl, this is the VFL/ AFL sunshine. Port Adelaide joined this competition with an agreement, you can't just walk in and demand your club is allowed to wear a jumper that clashes with ours.

We were here first, and wore the stripes first, suck it up mate.

You know that the AFL set a precedent with similar colours when they admitted Adelaide into the competition with red, yellow and blue?

Another Vic team in the competition had those colours? Fitzroy.

Did anyone really, truly think that Adelaide were stealing Fitzroys heritage? Of course not. Some wouldn't have even noticed. Some are probably realising this for the first time, reading those words.

It's only Collingwood and Eddie that are rattling the cage here, because it's not something that's happening that is resulting in a net financial gain for the club. Good on em I say. Ditch whatever history doesn't make them money, and selectively keep the history that does and argue for the sake of tradition.

I think the ones that have to answer to this are the AFL. They own the rights to the club logos, brands, guernsey's, colours for a national football comp. They can, and should have, made this simple decision years ago. Ask them why they don't, not Collingwood.

Agree, it's up HQ to decide, and I'm not debating that.

My issue is some Port fans actually have the audacity to just walk in, demand that their team can wear the prison bars at the expense of my clubs heritage. So no surprises I / we say * off!

And then there's the attitude of 'how dare you' - ok no ones actually posted that (that I know of). Not the point! The sentiment is there.

We wore the black and white stripes before Port wore the prison bars, and we were in this competition before Port were. So I say to those Port fans who obviously have zero empathy * off!

Your identity isn't based on what you did first, it's what you did most.
We've worn some of our AFL guernsey designs more than we've worn the two you've highlighted.

Which is not to say that those guernseys are unimportant, they're very important, and have featured in our heritage rounds, merchandise, memorabilia, and had a strong presence in our 150th celebrations. We certainly do not hide the fact that these are part of our history.

To deny that the prison bar design is not intrinsic to the identity of the Port Adelaide Football Club shows a complete lack of knowledge about the history of Australian Football.

First / most? Not the point, we all know if Port wore the prison bars against Collingwood it would be a jumper clash. So something has to give, and I doubt Collingwood is gonna give up it's own heritage to allow a club that has been in the comp for 5 minutes to wear the prison bars at it's own expense.

NO ONE is denying the heritage of the Port Adelaide football club, it's been one of the highest profile organizations in the country for well over 100 years.

Not the point, to wear the bars would come at an expense for another club that wore the stripes before Port did and has been in this comp before Port. To ask for it is arrogant. So I say * off!

Agree, it's up HQ to decide, and I'm not debating that.

My issue is some Port fans actually have the audacity to just walk in, demand that their team can wear the prison bars at the expense of my clubs heritage. So no surprises I / we say **** off!

And then there's the attitude of 'how dare you' - ok no ones actually posted that (that I know of). Not the point! The sentiment is there.

We wore the black and white stripes before Port wore the prison bars, and we were in this competition before Port were. So I say to those Port fans who obviously have zero empathy **** off!
Serious question: why isn't your AFLW worthy of wearing the traditional Collingwood guernsey?

First / most? Not the point, we all know if Port wore the prison bars against Collingwood it would be a jumper clash. So something has to give

It's called not wearing it against Collingwood dumbass.

To ask for it is arrogant. So I say **** off!

I hope the irony is not lost on you.

Serious question: why isn't your AFLW worthy of wearing the traditional Collingwood guernsey?

Not sure why people don't see the legal ramifications going on. AFL is a business. AFL Clubs are businesses. Collingwood is worth more money than Port. Much more. And is the most well known and one of the richest sporting clubs in Australia. They will not allow this due to a conflict of interest and Trademark breach.

People saying its ok as long as they don't play against Collingwood in it is not the problem at all. It's the fact that Port will be financially benefiting from resembling Collingwood too closely.

Not sure why people don't see the legal ramifications going on. AFL is a business. AFL Clubs are businesses. Collingwood is worth more money than Port. Much more. And is the most well known and one of the richest sporting clubs in Australia. They will not allow this due to a conflict of interest and Trademark breach.

People saying its ok as long as they don't play against Collingwood in it is not the problem at all. It's the fact that Port will be financially benefiting from resembling Collingwood too closely.

How will exactly port financially benefit from resembling Collingwood exactly?

Collingwood supporters suddenly start buying port jumpers? You hear that pies supporters aren’t bright but that would be on a whole new level.

How will exactly port financially benefit from resembling Collingwood exactly?

Collingwood supporters suddenly start buying port jumpers? You hear that pies supporters aren’t bright but that would be on a whole new level.

That doesn't matter. It's how copyright law works

McDonalds just sued Hungry Jacks over the Big Jack. Do people go to Hungry Jacks thinking they are getting McDonalds?

You might say I'm biased because I'm a Collingwood supporter. But I understand why Collingwood wouldn't want this. If I owned a business, I wouldn't want someone using my image and name either. And before anyone says "but Port has been around since 1850".. yes in the SANFL. Collingwood was in the VFL, which became the AFL. Collingwood did not change a league or join a new league. They have been in the same league the entire time. Port moved form the SANFL to the AFL and under that movement they agreed to have color X and name X.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back