Game Day Port v Sydney Gameday Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Full marks for our intensity, but gee we have a lot of dumb footballers. So many decision making errors - not just using the ball / handballing to bootlaces but knowing when to hold off your man and when to jump in and tackle.

Terribly frustrating to watch on TV. Get the feeling an onslaught is about to begin...

We are devoid of strategy through the midfield. Our players have not been coached where to run when attacking or defending.

Our forwards and defenders are doing well though.

Can anyone tell me where the power advertising is on the electronic signage?? All I am seeing is that scummy toyota logo all the way around the ground... What a disgrace!

We are devoid of strategy through the midfield. Our players have not been coached where to run when attacking or defending.

What about they are being told, but they are not doing it?

Hard the believe we're still in it. Once again the opposition has failed to punish us.

Have to give the defense some credit, if we could push the ball into our forward half more than 8-9 times a quarter we'd be dangerous.

Right now, at the halfway point of round 3, Josh Carr and Shaun Rehn are not earning their money. Put simply, our midfield has been slaughtered for the second consecutive week. Time and time again, we are outnumbered at the stoppages...........we have left so many of their midfielders unmanned right under Mumford's nose. Kane Cornes is the ONLY mid taking any responsibility around the stoppages. Boak, Cassisi, Ebert, McCarthy, Thomas have let us down big time in the centre square and at all stop ball situations.

Then there is the failure of the mids to provide any run or spread when we bring the ball out of defence. Finally the forwards are not keeping to structures because the ball is coming in so slowly and are outnumbered and unable to apply defensive pressure.

Our better players are exactly the same five as last week: Carlile, Trengove, Chaplin, Paul Stewart and Surjan. Jacobs is a liability of the highest order. His timid efforts have directly cost 2 and possibly (if marking at an AFL level) three goals - I have included the lack of purpose in getting in front of Bolton in the first quarter for his snapped goal.

The mids are a rabble. Broadbent has tried, McCarthy has spread wide ok, Kane Cornes has taken some defensive responsibility for Kennedy. Redden is getting his arse whipped raw. Pearce is doing too little. Hartlett and Boak have got the footy but have been easily overwhelmed by the far more constructive play of the Sydney mids.

Wingard should have taken the week off - hopeless today.

Schulz is desperate but well held.

I actually think Westhoff has been reasonable when the ball has been near him, while Daniel Stewart was excellent around the ground in that quarter and was a massive improvement on Redden.

If we keep our midfield debacle going, we'll lose this by 6 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ash78 and swamprat you are spot on

the thing is, as much as the skills are deplorable, i can't help but wonder if we would straighten up a little IF we left some forwards at home?

there is no one up there so they fart around?

at the last minute stewart had a kick into the f50 and while it was to no one (stupid kick) at leat it was forward

i really dont understand what our strategy out there is.

i hope the over handballing is not a policy? i mean i love melbourne heart and barcelona and 442 in soccer, working it out from the back. but in football i think one kick can achieve as much as 7 handballs

really, we need a leader

i have to say im really happy with chaplin this year, and Trengrove has been solid too

actually the defence doesnt look that bad. when they have 13 inside 50s to our none its going to comne in there

i just dont understand where our mids are. how can boak, cassisi, thomas, hartlett, pearce, be THAT ineffective?

and i love broadbent, but he actually looks like he runs more upwards than forwards. he lopes. doesnt even run. is he slow or just deceptive? at least he is getting to the ball.

we really need a mid and we should throw everything at trading for one.

if we are 3 goals down at 3/4 time is this the kind of game you'd prefer to be able to bring rodan in on?

hey, we're still in this. we can't possibly play worse, and they have had the run of the bounce the umpiring (come on umps, protect the players head please- dangerous not to)

IMO we lost vs Essendon because we didnt use the breeze in the 1st enough. i feel this is the same. we needed to be 2 goals up, not down.

2nd half will be better, for the simple reason we can't possibly play worse

That's the thing about intensity. It results in perceived pressure and tired opposition players, which means they wont find it as easy to kick goals.

We're still the same team as last year, but with more endeavour.

Have to give the defense some credit, if we could push the ball into our forward half more than 8-9 times a quarter we'd be dangerous.

Correct, the backline standing up again, been a major improvement there. A fit Surj makes a big difference. P.Stew back this year, Chappy using his body more. And Trengove is quality.

Mids really need to lift and our forwards need to give them something to kick to. Too often we are forced to muck around on halfback or the wing because there's no option by foot.

Our defenders are giving us a chance in this game, just as they did last week. This match has been a carbon copy of last week's game. Terrific first ten minutes, indifferent after that until quarter time. Early goal in the second, then the mids have been thrashed to the point that the inside 50 differential is enormous.

Once again, this result is fairly and squarely at the feet of all people (coaches and players) involved in our midfield group. Piss poor turn up after last week's midfield hiding.

Our defence has worked well considering. We just cant beat the flood. Poor coaching in the 2nd quarter in terms of forward structure but our midfielders arent working hard enough to spread and create options

Right, at half-time, Primus has to put all midfielders on notice. Anyone who doesn't pull his finger out after half-time (Pearce, Cassisi, Ebert, Boak, Thomas in particular) will be in the gun at next week's selection.

Gray has to go on-ball if we are any chance of turning this around.

Our defence has worked well considering. We just cant beat the flood. Poor coaching in the 2nd quarter in terms of forward structure but our midfielders arent working hard enough to spread and create options

so why not stretch them back into our 50? why do we play into others teams hands?

maybe if we left 4 in the F50 at all times it would decongest it and when we over handball it, it might not go to blazes?

Gotch has got the backs working beautifully. If he had Logan out there instead of Jacobs who is far too timid for AFL standard footy, he'd have the perfect back 6.

Carr and Rehn are not getting their messages through to the mids.

Logan is still injured.

Surely the message is being sent - it's still up to the players to execute.

The effort is there again - it's just the vital finishing that the really good sides do.

It's going to take time and a lot of angst in between games and quarters.

All that said, with a similar effort this quarter, might see us just get home. Experienced players need to set up right now.

Well, we're back to where we were last week. Have we learnt anything? O'Shea the sub again........can he impact now?

Good quarter from Jacobs then. Saved our skin on a couple of occasions and used the ball well.

An even performance all over the ground with Westhoff standing out.

Kane Cornes, Broadbent, Hartlett, Chaplin, Carlile, Paul Stewart and Trengove all good. Daniel Stewart has been very good in the ruck.

Wingard gave us something on ball then. Gray needs to make the most of his chances - ridiculous to call for the pass from Schulz and then miss from 15m out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back