Strategy Positional changes for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Tend to agree Jon Douglas
We now have a lot of options to put together a revamped Forward Line to support Tommy.
Whilst we have the personnel we also must have a Forward Strategy that will enable us to kick winning scores - especially in Finals.
If we continue with our version of insanity - bomb it to Tommy and hope for a different result - I will fe***ng scream.
Time for a change of tactics Coaches !!
It wouldn't hurt the players and coaches to go back and watch a LOT of reruns of the games in which our beloved Cats were so successful- where the players ran hard both ways, where they backed each other up, provided 'get out of jail' options for teammates under the pump, etc. There is no real substitute for good hard work!

If we look at getting better - and nominate a small forward position as one we can look at getting better in - I would say the most likely candidates are -

Lang (1 senior game), Smedts (33), Murdoch (42), McCarthy (5) and Hartman (5). They have AFL experience, have shown some good form at times in the VFL - and therefore seem the most likely to get the first shot at it.

Murdoch seems most likely as he has the most AFL experience and the MC keep picking him. So I get the feeling they are backing him in from what they have seen and know about Murdoch. At this point in time it could go either way. It could work and he blossoms this year - or he becomes the new Smedts. Given lots of chances but for whatever reason just could not grab the opportunity and keep a spot in the team.

Murdoch brings leg speed, height and is a booming kick when he gets it right. Good assets - but probably more suited to a wing or at least a flank. Run and carry thru the midfield is very important - and maybe he could do that for us - further down the ground. Do we try and make Murdoch learn and play FP - because we think he is a good player and it will work for him down in a pocket ? Or do we say no let's go for a more tradition FP - smaller, more crumbing type player. Perhaps this style would suit McCarthy (but injured) or Lang ?

Then again Smedts and Hartman being that bit bigger could still offer a marking option on occasions ?

The club needs select the best of these options and stick with it. If after 4 or 5 games its not working go to the next best option and give them 4 or 5 senior games. Keep doing that until one player shows enough and stick with them.

I totally agree with TC - a better forward set up will result in us not needing to have the best midfield on the day (as long as the backline hangs in there and I think they will). The midfield needs time to get better. Time in the seniors for Caddy, GHS and Guthrie - and getting a good mid as a FA. If we can get Caddy, GHS and Guthrie to improve by say 15 % or so this year, then we will be ok in the midfield if we can sort out the ruck issues we have.

Then see how Lang and JJ go and if they show good form in the VFL in the midfield reward them with some game time in the seniors.

I really have no idea but gut feel on who will get the first shot at it (FP).

I have been watching the repeats of our 2014 season and from that I reckon that GHS was better than I thought. Sure he is slow but he finds the ball. If he gets really fit and can run most of the day - he could become our Priddis or similar. Does good things quite often with the ball in hand. Makes good decisions, can kick to a leading forward, is in and under, tackles and gets clearances. I think he could become a very good player in time for us and he could quite conceivably average 22-25 possies a game plus tackles, plus clearances and a goal here and there. Many think it will be Caddy's year. Guthrie will fitter and stronger - so the midfield should be better (even maybe accounting for the loss of Bundy - that hurts still).

I saw the one game of Lang - and yes he did not do that much - but I like the way he moves, nice kick and good with the handball.

So at a guess GFC will select to play FP - Lang first, Murdoch second, Hartman third and Smedts fourth. Just as long as when it is Sept. we have settled on a good one.

If we look at getting better - and nominate a small forward position as one we can look at getting better in - I would say the most likely candidates are -

Lang (1 senior game), Smedts (33), Murdoch (42), McCarthy (5) and Hartman (5). They have AFL experience, have shown some good form at times in the VFL - and therefore seem the most likely to get the first shot at it.

Murdoch seems most likely as he has the most AFL experience and the MC keep picking him. So I get the feeling they are backing him in from what they have seen and know about Murdoch. At this point in time it could go either way. It could work and he blossoms this year - or he becomes the new Smedts. Given lots of chances but for whatever reason just could not grab the opportunity and keep a spot in the team.

Murdoch brings leg speed, height and is a booming kick when he gets it right. Good assets - but probably more suited to a wing or at least a flank. Run and carry thru the midfield is very important - and maybe he could do that for us - further down the ground. Do we try and make Murdoch learn and play FP - because we think he is a good player and it will work for him down in a pocket ? Or do we say no let's go for a more tradition FP - smaller, more crumbing type player. Perhaps this style would suit McCarthy (but injured) or Lang ?

Then again Smedts and Hartman being that bit bigger could still offer a marking option on occasions ?

The club needs select the best of these options and stick with it. If after 4 or 5 games its not working go to the next best option and give them 4 or 5 senior games. Keep doing that until one player shows enough and stick with them.

I totally agree with TC - a better forward set up will result in us not needing to have the best midfield on the day (as long as the backline hangs in there and I think they will). The midfield needs time to get better. Time in the seniors for Caddy, GHS and Guthrie - and getting a good mid as a FA. If we can get Caddy, GHS and Guthrie to improve by say 15 % or so this year, then we will be ok in the midfield if we can sort out the ruck issues we have.

Then see how Lang and JJ go and if they show good form in the VFL in the midfield reward them with some game time in the seniors.

I really have no idea but gut feel on who will get the first shot at it (FP).

I have been watching the repeats of our 2014 season and from that I reckon that GHS was better than I thought. Sure he is slow but he finds the ball. If he gets really fit and can run most of the day - he could become our Priddis or similar. Does good things quite often with the ball in hand. Makes good decisions, can kick to a leading forward, is in and under, tackles and gets clearances. I think he could become a very good player in time for us and he could quite conceivably average 22-25 possies a game plus tackles, plus clearances and a goal here and there. Many think it will be Caddy's year. Guthrie will fitter and stronger - so the midfield should be better (even maybe accounting for the loss of Bundy - that hurts still).

I saw the one game of Lang - and yes he did not do that much - but I like the way he moves, nice kick and good with the handball.

So at a guess GFC will select to play FP - Lang first, Murdoch second, Hartman third and Smedts fourth. Just as long as when it is Sept. we have settled on a good one.
I agree with a lot of the thoughts you've expressed there, JD- maybe Murdoch WILL be stifled in a FP but if he's not getting the ball further afield, I think maybe he can be put there- or maybe up as a HFF- to keep the pressure on the opposition backline as they try to clear it. His ability to kick a long goal (a la Mackie) is of value, as that is something I thought we've been missing over the past couple of years - or not utilising these players enough, as we've only played the "Kick it to Hawkins" game plan. I feel that he and Smedts are probably still ahead of Lang and Hartman but that's only because the GFC have continued to play both of these players despite not seeing anything outstanding from either. That may just have been due to lack of other options, with the injury list we had last year. With several players fit and firing (hopefully Cowan and Motlop, etc.) there will be more pressure on these boys to retain their spot.

I'm also wondering if the club will persist with Smedts in the backline. I thought perhaps he was played there to learn the ropes from the best in the business but can't honestly say that the experiment (if it was one) was a success. I'd love to see him get a good block of games in attack and see what he can do.

Murdoch might take over the 2014 Varcoe role.

Great post Jon Douglas

The only thing that I would be critical of is your assessment of Murdoch. IMO he's already a valued member of the team and well ahead of those other guys that you've mentioned. I'd be very surprised if he was to be running around in the two's at all next year but time will tell I guess. As for where he should be played, I'd keep him in the forward line where he can use his pressure skills to hopefully create some goals for us.

Murdoch is one of the players Joel was referring to when he said the "middle tier" players need to step up…..a big year for Murdoch coming up….
Don't worry David, he'll step up!

I'm predicting 30 goals from him this year! :cool:

I am always disappointed with players that get to, or are close to, 50 senior games and it does not work out. That is a lot of VFL games and quite a lot of AFL games.

That is why Bundy being lost hurts. We had put the time in and he was about to grow even better and be a very valuable contributor. Losing THunt after 50 senior games was a bugger too - but I think the right call in the end. Before that it was Tenace. You just hate giving time to guys that do not work out when that time could be put into say one that does.

If not careful Billie may end up in this list.

I am always disappointed with players that get to, or are close to, 50 senior games and it does not work out. That is a lot of VFL games and quite a lot of AFL games.

That is why Bundy being lost hurts. We had put the time in and he was about to grow even better and be a very valuable contributor. Losing THunt after 50 senior games was a bugger too - but I think the right call in the end. Before that it was Tenace. You just hate giving time to guys that do not work out when that time could be put into say one that does.

Ive been critical of Billie but he has a little of the Mitch Brown syndrome in that he really has not gotten one spot to settle into. Sure, he has frustrated the crap out of at times with what he has done, but being a younger player I feel they need the week in and out positional consistency. Between getting hurt and being moved, he has not had that. He needs that chance for mine but once given it, must produce better results too.

GO Catters

Quite right, JD, the thing about "50 games" is that it is a tremendous waste of time and effort if we have to wait until then before it becomes clear that the player is not going to "make it".
50 games is way, way, way above the average.
Of players who have completed their careers with us since 2000, three-quarters have not reached 50 games.
So players who are up to the 30, 40, 50 mark really need to show that the continuing investment is going to be worthwhile.
This is the zone Murdoch and Smedts are now in.

As far as a possible position change - I do not think there will be many. GFC is pretty conservative group generally.

But if Simpson and Vardy cannot get up - then maybe we could end up with Clark playing ruck more than we thought.

In fact I can see Clark, Stanley and Blitz all playing - and spending sometime as ruck and sometimes as a KPF. Well more so Stanley and Clark - not sure Blitz will turn up at CHF anytime soon.

Clark just might end up being a better ruckman than CHF and this means we get the most out of him as first ruckman.

Not saying it will happen but if we have rucks go down, Clark is not doing that much at CHF - he could be put in the ruck - and turn out to be our best option. So he stays there.

Then we try and fill CHF - with Stanley, Vardy or Walker.

Not our first choice - but it could happen.

I have been harping a bit on about what you refer to P.

If GFC wants to be more competitive there are a number of positions that need be filled with better players. Or players we think will soon do a good job if given senior exposure.

I think many people on the his Board noted we can get carved up by opposition small forwards and have been putting players names forward to get this role filled. Most think Bews is the go at the present. Young, eager, strong, has dash, tackles and can lock down on a player. More time may see him playing an important role for us in the future.

But the one that has had less attention (than the midfield, the ruck combination, the small defender) is we need another small, fast dangerous forward. Especially if you play Hawk and Bartel in the same forward line. That makes us slow and we have to counter any easy rebounding out of our 50 into their forward 50.

Motlop plays a lot outside our forward 50 - so his leg speed is not always there to crumb a goal, or tackle or harass an opposition player inside our forward 50. So candidates for the job are probably McCarthy (now injured), Lang (quick and looks to have some nice balance about him), Blease (because he has pace and quite a bit of senior exposure already) and Hartman (I think he will be a tackling machine - and has pace a bit of X factor maybe about him). Some say Murdoch - as he is tall, quick and has been given quite a bit of exposure in the seniors already. We are invested in him I would think at this point in time (mind you the same policy did not work for Smedts - yet).

If we can get a small forward down there doing what a good small forward does these days - we would have a better forward line. A better forward line means greater scores and a greater score is harder to beat. Yes the midfield is the greatest issue then our rucks. They are simply not good enough on the last 2 season's performances to get us to a Flag. They are not problems we can solve overnight - but we have quite a few choices in all the positions we need to fill (except KPBs) now - so let's pick the most likely and bring them in.

I think that Clark, Stanley and Blease are all likely to get a go in the seniors this season. If they are good enough they will stay in. And one of Blease, Lang, Hartman and maybe Smedts will get a real chance at being our next small forward.

If one works we can tick the box maybe on the small forward role - and if Bews improves we can probably tick off another box - small defender. These positions might not be the most exciting, or even the most important for us, but they do get the jigsaw puzzle just that more complete. Handle these two positions well this year and the side would probably be 2 goal better performer (opposition small forwards kick 1 less goal per game and our small forward adds 1 more goal to our score line). And that is a fair bit of improvement.

And then we pray that GHS, Caddy and Guthrie improve by around 15 % and our ruck set up is better than the last 2 seasons. We will finish in the Top 6 - maybe Top 4 if that happens. Its a lot to ask because you are praying for a lot of players improve a fair bit in one season.
Like your logic but not praying 4 improvement, expect it to occur naturally because we actually do have a lot of class in our young players.. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back