Preview Pre-match v Port Adelaide - Sunday 4:40 (MCG) (out: Seeds, Young, BenKen; In: Armstrong, Fas, Dwyer)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2011
The Home of Football
AFL Club
Collingwood
Right, so any finals chances we have left hinge on this game. We've lost 5 of our last 6 and Port have lost 4 of their last 6. And we have the privilege of another Sunday twilight game :rolleyes:

So onto my changes:

OUT
Young - may get suspended for his hit but I would drop him anyway. Not offering enough and had a terrible game for the second week in a row.

Blair - MRP or otherwise, like Young. He was better tonight but still doesn't do enough. Missed a crucial shot at goal which just happens far too often. Goldsack can play forward next week and one pressure forward is enough. I know it won't happen though.

IN
Ball - provided his back is alright. If not I would bring in Thomas instead - our midfield balance was just wrong and we were hammered on the inside.

Toovey - he divides opinion, but he does his shutdown role very well and Port have a few smalls that he could go to. If he's right he comes back.

Loath to make any more changes than that seeing as we've just promoted Martin and Broomhead, and there's not a lot of point in dropping them again straight away. But good to get some valuable experience back in the side.

Thoughts on the game? Port are struggling a bit and in Melbourne I'd give us a chance. We'd want to play a lot better though. Plus it's payback time for last year. :mad:

Last edited:

Port are going through a heavy load training phase and I think they will be back for this game and head in to the finals in hot form. Port are a team that love to run and we are a team that doesn't. They will out run next week and we shouldn't really be a problem for them.

In. Toovey and Ball
Out. Young and Blair

On paper they are awesome changes but sadly games are not won like that and I think Port will beat us by a good 5-7 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess we're done.
I don't think we'll win, but have you seen Port play lately? They were helped over the line against Melbourne at home by some awful umpiring, they were touched up by Richmond and Adelaide, and they lost to Essendon at home who were in average form at the time. Their form line is very similar to ours.

I give us a chance. Adelaide's form has been much, much better than theirs and we were in front in the last quarter tonight.

I give us a sneaky chance here. Our skills need to lift dramatically and our intensity needs to be back to early season levels, but Port are vulnerable. Their skills were abysmal against Melbourne and Trengove being out seems to be giving them some structural woes: something a fit and firing Reid may be able to exploit.

TBH I'd rather the likes of Toovey and Ball don't get back into the team. The last thing we need is more butchers of the footy, and if we're going down the youth road let's get some continuity in the 22 and cop the pain now.

In any case, Adams did well in Ball role, and Williams and Langdon are the future down back.

This is pretty much our season. We lose and we're done.
While on face value I'd agree, in reality nothing may change. Ess and North both have tough games, if the three of us all lose then the situation is the same as it is right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back