Training Pre-season 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So?

Read other teams board. They all talk about there intra clubs and pre season games with a level of excitement in there kids or gameplan etc.

Thats not a bad thing. What would you like? Us all to remain silent or just say "i bet we will be s**t this year".
I would just like people to be honest and true to themselves. Deep down we all realise how far away we are in most parts of the ground. We have six or so real quality players but then there is the gap to the upcoming potential, top ten picks that have yet to reach potential etc. Then another level to the foot soldiers who play roles. Given a game style to compliment our groups ability we could be better but nothing from the club to indicate we are doing anything different from 2016.

People can be positive all they like now and berate those that dare to look anything but glass half full. Fear not though come half time in R1 or R6 (or whenever the reality sets in) the melts from the glass half full or ECI brigade will be flooding this board. Until then let's enjoy the pre season glimmer of hope and promise :thumbsu:

I would just like people to be honest and true to themselves. Deep down we all realise how far away we are in most parts of the ground. We have six or so real quality players but then there is the gap to the upcoming potential, top ten picks that have yet to reach potential etc. Then another level to the foot soldiers who play roles. Given a game style to compliment our groups ability we could be better but nothing from the club to indicate we are doing anything different from 2016.

People can be positive all they like now and berate those that dare to look anything but glass half full. Fear not though come half time in R1 or R6 (or whenever the reality sets in) the melts from the glass half full or ECI brigade will be flooding this board. Until then let's enjoy the pre season glimmer of hope and promise :thumbsu:
I can be completely honest and genuinely say I don't think we're that far off it. Two years ago we lost our first final but a win would probably have put us into a prelim and from there who knows.

I'm really excited for this year and think we will return to top 8.

You can say I don't watch footy much or don't know anything but that couldn't be further from the truth. One bad season does not mean we're nowhere near it.

Also, how are we doing nothing different to 2016?? We've brought in like 4 new assistant coaches and from all reports our game plan is going to be much quicker this year. Plus looks like Dusty and jack will spend more time in the forward 50. So sounds like to me it's different. But if you want to be negative and pretend these things aren't true then go ahead.

I would just like people to be honest and true to themselves.
Sounds to me like you would just like them to agree with you.

Deep down we all realise how far away we are in most parts of the ground.
Fascinating. What else can you tell us about what we think?

nothing from the club to indicate we are doing anything different from 2016.
No, nothing. I mean, yeah, several new assistant coaches, a new ruckman, two new centre square mids, an obvious focus on moving the ball quickly and a poultice of buzzing smalls, but nothing to indicate we won't be exactly the same as last year.

It's a win/win for you. If we come good you get to enjoy it and if we don't you get to gloat. :thumbsu:

No, nothing. I mean, yeah, several new assistant coaches, a new ruckman, two new centre square mids, an obvious focus on moving the ball quickly and a poultice of buzzing smalls, but nothing to indicate we won't be exactly the same as last year.

It's a win/win for you. If we come good you get to enjoy it and if we don't you get to gloat. :thumbsu:
Boom boom

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't heard anything about Nathan Drummond which is possibly concerning. I think it's very important for those third years players to step up and he is the one who probably has the most to prove given he is 22 and is older than Lennon.

Gotta love everyone knows who we are talking about :tearsofjoy:

You've been reported for derailing the thread and not including pictures to make it worthwhile!

Anyway back to the preseason

Haven't heard anything about Nathan Drummond which is possibly concerning. I think it's very important for those third years players to step up and he is the one who probably has the most to prove given he is 22 and is older than Lennon.

He has been solid. I mix him up with Hunt a bit but in both games he has found a bit of the pill and used it well. Still needs to improve but a lot to work with!

He was recovering from his acl 12months ago?

Don't disagree with anything you've said.
Loved the work of some of the younguns. I think my favourite Rioli moment from yesterday was in the last period when he is yelling and pointing to others about positioning during a press. Love the confidence, self-belief and focus of a 2nd year player that could easily be fatigued or WGAF that late in a Feb intra-club.

However, I have no confidence in our ability to start the season well or transcend our mental fragility.
There are hopeful signs - I may have stamped Lennon's papers too early + what I highlighted from your post
But I just don't have the capacity to believe in Richmond's capacity to deliver anymore. I think it's a case of 15 times bit, 16th time shy.

My hope will be on hold until the end of round 2, then I'll reassess.

Brutal

You forgot Tyson Stengle. Just has a good footy brain and very dangerous with ball in hand. I'd love to see him promoted early.

I believe promotion for him is inevitable, only issue for me is when? To much ability not to.....:fire:

Every year it's the same, we recruit thus bloke or that and the robots think we are a monty to improve. Well if last year wasn't ground hog day for you and others then what is?

From memory we were moving the ball as quick this time as in 2016 pre season. Then when we copped a few injuries and the game plan shifted to an over possesion try defend style. The coach came out and blurbed his step forward back crap and so many fell for it. Talk about gullible.

Now other than watching a few intra club hit outs what has changed? Can you give me a link to where someone running the club has said we are doing something different? It's easy to put the blinkers on year after year then groan when things don't go how you want.

Not sure how anyone emotionally linked to our great club can enjoy us losing, guess that's the difference between us if you even think that way :oops:

So?

Read other teams board. They all talk about there intra clubs and pre season games with a level of excitement in there kids or gameplan etc.

Thats not a bad thing. What would you like? Us all to remain silent or just say "i bet we will be s**t this year".
Maybe just wait. When we deliver in the real season- get excited.

I can be completely honest and genuinely say I don't think we're that far off it. Two years ago we lost our first final but a win would probably have put us into a prelim and from there who knows.

I'm really excited for this year and think we will return to top 8.

You can say I don't watch footy much or don't know anything but that couldn't be further from the truth. One bad season does not mean we're nowhere near it.

Also, how are we doing nothing different to 2016?? We've brought in like 4 new assistant coaches and from all reports our game plan is going to be much quicker this year. Plus looks like Dusty and jack will spend more time in the forward 50. So sounds like to me it's different. But if you want to be negative and pretend these things aren't true then go ahead.
As I said we have several top players but then the depth is found wanting. There is a ruck thread going where some think Hampson is our best ruck, some Nankervis who was what three or four inline at the swans. Great to have his services but let's not get carried away just yet. That's just our ruck depth issue, then there is the KPF and KPD

What if we lose Jack or Rance? We have nobody to cover either. Our midfield is building nicely but we lack KP players.

I love the idea of new assistants but hey that's what they are, assistants. Hardwick is still senior coach and the assistants do what he says, or does the tail wag the dog now? Other than watching an intra club hit out what evidence do you have that Hardwick has 180 his game plan back to that which he said wasn't the direction to go in 2014/15?

I want as much as anyone to see us play and then win finals but I am a realist, I am over getting sucked into the hype and will wait until results indicate otherwise. Feel free to give it to me when we are flying mid season, I would love to see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back