Remove this Banner Ad

Roysforever

All Australian
Oct 28, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Fitzroy, Melbourne Storm
Whenever the NRL State of Origin is in full swing there are inevitable threads on bigfooty weighing up the worth of state competition in the AFL. Well there is another NRL event taking place as I type called the Auckland Nines (http://nrlaucklandnines.co.nz/) which I believe the AFL should take note of. I believe this is a worthy NRL event which adequately serves as recognised pre-season competion. I equally believe the AFL could learn from this example and modify NAB Cup to encompass AFL9s rules and practices into a showcase weekend to begin the season. Can I get an Amen?

lions 9's side. assuming played on a slightly smaller field and 2 interchanges. 10 minute quarters no time on.
ryan harwood, harris andrews, tom cutler.
dayne zorko, pearce hanley, rohan bewick.
michael close, stefan martin, allen christensen.

int: tom bell, marco paparone.
a premium on aerobic fitness, speed and versatility.
could be played over 3 days at etihad from 9am to 10pm all teams involved culminating in a final, i think it would pack out etihad. round robin first 2 days then quarter/semi/grand finals played day 3. would be highly entertaining i would suggest. scale back the NAB challenge by a week and have this the last week of pre-season. i'm sure sponsors could be found to provide incentive via substantial prizemoney.

Interesting concept.

We have seen how Rugby Sevens has become a truly legitimate part of Union as a sport, with now Olympic representation - and a Australia v New Zealand final in Sydney as we speak in front of 35000 at the Sydney Football Stadium.

The NRL Nines works in a similar format.

Not sure you can have a top level 9-a-side AFL pre-season competition.

Id say 12-14 aside would be more realistic then 9s. Would be good entertainment, worth the risk given the success of the NRL 9s.

Isn't the pre-season meant to function as a way of getting game time into as many players legs as possible without over doing it? Reducing numbers on the field and the length of matches is going to make this even harder.

NRL have trial games as well as the Nines. A mini sideshow to the regular pre season games.

Whenever the NRL State of Origin is in full swing there are inevitable threads on bigfooty weighing up the worth of state competition in the AFL. Well there is another NRL event taking place as I type called the Auckland Nines (http://nrlaucklandnines.co.nz/) which I believe the AFL should take note of. I believe this is a worthy NRL event which adequately serves as recognised pre-season competion. I equally believe the AFL could learn from this example and modify NAB Cup to encompass AFL9s rules and practices into a showcase weekend to begin the season. Can I get an Amen?
I don't think the AFL9s version of the rules are suitable as a spectator sport. 9s as originally played in the US and Europe which is essentially close to normal footy (including tackling) could work. The AFL9s version is really just a social runaround that organisers can run as a mixed comp without the likelihood of serious contact injuries.

I don't think the AFL9s version of the rules are suitable as a spectator sport. 9s as originally played in the US and Europe which is essentially close to normal footy (including tackling) could work. The AFL9s version is really just a social runaround that organisers can run as a mixed comp without the likelihood of serious contact injuries.
could be modified to mirror the AFL comp. style game? wouldn't think you are any more likely to be injured playing 9s than a NAB challenge game, all clubs want practice games, they and the fans just hold their breath and cross everything hoping for no injuries.

Maybe 11s would fit our fields better - lots of wide open spaces...

FP/FF/FP (must start inside 50m at stoppage)
Ruck/Centre/Rover (starts inside centre square)
Wings x 2
BP/FB/BP (must start inside 50m at stoppage)
4-man bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish the clubs would have stuck with nab cup but it just wasn't worth the risk. Nab challenge is ok though, takes afl to the country towns and that's more important to me.

Maybe 11s would fit our fields better - lots of wide open spaces...

FP/FF/FP (must start inside 50m at stoppage)
Ruck/Centre/Rover (starts inside centre square)
Wings x 2
BP/FB/BP (must start inside 50m at stoppage)
4-man bench.

A Hawthorn side (focused on run and speed and ignoring the older group)

FP/FF/FP:.....Bruest/Gunston/Rioli
Ru/Ce/Ro:....McEvoy/Langford/Shiels
Wings:.........Hill/Smith
BP/FB/BP:....Duryea/Frawley/Stratton
Bench:.........Hartung, Litherland, Howe, Schoenmakers

s**t idea the Nab is good how it is, it is stupid to limit the amount of players on the field as you can not adiquately test things for the home and away

Remove this Banner Ad

Back