Training Pre-season Training 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that the Dish?

Good crowd in attendance and nice facilities. First time i have been there since the upgrade. Not sure about the green club rooms though.
Will put down a few words on what i noticed, not too in depth as i kept having to chase my kid around.

Quite warm early and i could already see lamb looking for the showers. There seemed to be a few missing and as it went on i didn't notice any of the draftees out there - turns out the AFL induction is on so they are probably all over in melbourne.
coaches.jpg
-coaches looking for the kids

Session slow to get started with a fair warm up and stretching session while Longmuir wandered off to speak for the awaiting eager media throng.
DSC_0936.jpg DSC_0945.jpg

The whole ground was being used and most of the time everyone was split in to 4 groups and they were just rotating through the same drills.
Defensive exits - players had to make up their own decisions - no apparent set way of how we should be moving the ball, however the focus was on getting it back down the middle
Mitchell and Gov the standouts at this. Mitchell with deft touches and he always knows where he can kick it to run on and receive again. McGovern was just very sure and precise - doesn't seem to understand pressure and his risky options always came off.
Yeo was training with serious intent and looked focused, however he shanked too many kicks for my liking. I noticed at one stage mitchell was calling for it, he wasn't used and Yeo shanked the kick and sam was just arms out saying mate...come on...dont you know who i am, give me the ball.

Creating / finding space up the line - groups of about 6 players on each side work the ball down to one of two coaches and they then need to break to find space and receive the ball off one of the coaches while the opposition worked to cover them - Coaches sometimes kicked to each other to change the angle and the players had to go again. Drill was only about working and blocking for teammates as it was the coaches doing the kicking and it often didn't go to the best option.
DSC_0979.jpg

Defensive / forward stoppage - 2 on 2 contest at the fall of the ball and had to work it out to the remaining 5 or so on each side or get a shot on goal. This was quite intensive and the tacking was full on. Redden was going really hard and his tackling was a standout, not afraid to hit hard. Masten also laid a couple of tackles which was a surprise
DSC_1015.jpg DSC_1016.jpg DSC_1018.jpg DSC_1017.jpg

Naitanui was looking very proppy. Was a little concerned until i realised it was the first time he has really had any sort of workout. He and Lycett were up on the top cricket ovals.I didn't see him ding any work, he was just standing talking to the staff and playing around with his knee, he then hobbled down to the bottom ovals and the kids went crazy. He emerged from the bushes half an hour later and a swarm of kids went running - no idea what he was doing up there...
DSC_0987.jpg DSC_1014.jpg

Lamb kept dissapearing off and he went up to the top oval to do some goal kicking with Allen. Always seemed to be the first one out of the drills

Session finished off with some repeat half oval runs. Mitchell and Priddis sat these out. Apparently brownlow medalists don't need any more run in the legs. When everyone was leaving, Shuey and a few forwards stuck around to do some extra work. Shuey was just hitting up darling on the lead every time. Lace out from boots, dukes out from Darling. Good signs.

I'll just put some thoughts down on some players as im heading out - but ask any questions and if there's anything i recall ill try answer what i saw

Mitchell - Gun. So clever, amazing vision and trains like he plays.
Shuey - Seems to be dagging around Mitchell as often as he can, together in most of the drills and look to be a great combo
McGovern - Lock him in for AA. Just so confident in himself whether its in the air or his risk taking with kicks
Wellingham - Really vocal, but almost patronising and Heath Shaw like. Doesn't call his teammates names, just yells or says oi. Would be seriously annoying. Shanked a couple of kicks, but looked to get involved.
Shep - Tough to fine this guy as he just goes under the radar and wasn't really noticeable.
Kennedy - joined in full training and was leading well and went hard in the air. No signs he will have any trouble
Vardy - started of really clumsily and he just looked dumb with his first few options, however he really improved and at the end of the session, his skills and decision making were really good, especially in tight
Karpany - did not notice him - well i saw him out there but there was nothing to note down
Lecras - besides his hanger which was brilliant he didn't stand out
Mackenzie - looks really skinny - too skinny. Was used a few times coming out of defence and one almighty shank which had a few heads going into coaches hands
Barrass - not a fan of the haircut - fitness is still a little lacking - was always trailing in his little group on the runs.
Masten - Tidy enough, though refused a kid an autograph at the end because he was carrying his boots and was sweaty and tired.
Lamb - nothing that i havent seen from him before - when he wants to he can run like anything with great burst pace, but too often chooses to not get involved and hangs on the outside / fringe

Good to hear we only have 3 in the rehab group.
Yet that preseason bullshit sweet **** all puff piece from AFL.campaigner would make you think we had half the squad in there.

Granted our most important player, arguably, is in there.

Barrass - not a fan of the haircut - fitness is still a little lacking - was always trailing in his little group on the runs.

giphy.gif

Good crowd in attendance and nice facilities. First time i have been there since the upgrade. Not sure about the green club rooms though.
Will put down a few words on what i noticed, not too in depth as i kept having to chase my kid around.

Quite warm early and i could already see lamb looking for the showers. There seemed to be a few missing and as it went on i didn't notice any of the draftees out there - turns out the AFL induction is on so they are probably all over in melbourne.
View attachment 325874
-coaches looking for the kids

Session slow to get started with a fair warm up and stretching session while Longmuir wandered off to speak for the awaiting eager media throng.
View attachment 325866 View attachment 325868

The whole ground was being used and most of the time everyone was split in to 4 groups and they were just rotating through the same drills.
Defensive exits - players had to make up their own decisions - no apparent set way of how we should be moving the ball, however the focus was on getting it back down the middle
Mitchell and Gov the standouts at this. Mitchell with deft touches and he always knows where he can kick it to run on and receive again. McGovern was just very sure and precise - doesn't seem to understand pressure and his risky options always came off.
Yeo was training with serious intent and looked focused, however he shanked too many kicks for my liking. I noticed at one stage mitchell was calling for it, he wasn't used and Yeo shanked the kick and sam was just arms out saying mate...come on...dont you know who i am, give me the ball.

Creating / finding space up the line - groups of about 6 players on each side work the ball down to one of two coaches and they then need to break to find space and receive the ball off one of the coaches while the opposition worked to cover them - Coaches sometimes kicked to each other to change the angle and the players had to go again. Drill was only about working and blocking for teammates as it was the coaches doing the kicking and it often didn't go to the best option.
View attachment 325876

Defensive / forward stoppage - 2 on 2 contest at the fall of the ball and had to work it out to the remaining 5 or so on each side or get a shot on goal. This was quite intensive and the tacking was full on. Redden was going really hard and his tackling was a standout, not afraid to hit hard. Masten also laid a couple of tackles which was a surprise
View attachment 325877View attachment 325878View attachment 325880View attachment 325879

Naitanui was looking very proppy. Was a little concerned until i realised it was the first time he has really had any sort of workout. He and Lycett were up on the top cricket ovals.I didn't see him ding any work, he was just standing talking to the staff and playing around with his knee, he then hobbled down to the bottom ovals and the kids went crazy. He emerged from the bushes half an hour later and a swarm of kids went running - no idea what he was doing up there...
View attachment 325883 View attachment 325882

Lamb kept dissapearing off and he went up to the top oval to do some goal kicking with Allen. Always seemed to be the first one out of the drills

Session finished off with some repeat half oval runs. Mitchell and Priddis sat these out. Apparently brownlow medalists don't need any more run in the legs. When everyone was leaving, Shuey and a few forwards stuck around to do some extra work. Shuey was just hitting up darling on the lead every time. Lace out from boots, dukes out from Darling. Good signs.

I'll just put some thoughts down on some players as im heading out - but ask any questions and if there's anything i recall ill try answer what i saw

Mitchell - Gun. So clever, amazing vision and trains like he plays.
Shuey - Seems to be dagging around Mitchell as often as he can, together in most of the drills and look to be a great combo
McGovern - Lock him in for AA. Just so confident in himself whether its in the air or his risk taking with kicks
Wellingham - Really vocal, but almost patronising and Heath Shaw like. Doesn't call his teammates names, just yells or says oi. Would be seriously annoying. Shanked a couple of kicks, but looked to get involved.
Shep - Tough to fine this guy as he just goes under the radar and wasn't really noticeable.
Kennedy - joined in full training and was leading well and went hard in the air. No signs he will have any trouble
Vardy - started of really clumsily and he just looked dumb with his first few options, however he really improved and at the end of the session, his skills and decision making were really good, especially in tight
Karpany - did not notice him - well i saw him out there but there was nothing to note down
Lecras - besides his hanger which was brilliant he didn't stand out
Mackenzie - looks really skinny - too skinny. Was used a few times coming out of defence and one almighty shank which had a few heads going into coaches hands
Masten - Tidy enough, though refused a kid an autograph at the end because he was carrying his boots and was sweaty and tired.
Lamb - nothing that i havent seen from him before - when he wants to he can run like anything with great burst pace, but too often chooses to not get involved and hangs on the outside / fringe

Great report, cheers.

Interested in any thoughts about Jetta, Parti, Sheed or Duggan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great report, cheers.

Interested in any thoughts about Jetta, Parti, Sheed or Duggan.
Jetta was good in the full ground drills. Worked hard to get, give off and then ran hard to receive again. At times it looked like the team had run in to trouble but because he got to the next contest he could get the ball back and burst away. Typical jetta play but he actually gave that extra effort which was lacking in games

Duggan looked quite smooth, though he did get tackled a couple of times and couldnt shrug or get away. Not afraid to get in and get the ball but theres just a little something missing with him where he doesnt quite stand out

Nothing of note from sheed or parti other than they were out there. Sheed was involved with a couple of nice plays in full ground drills where his kicking was spot on

I can say that early on Mitchell was working alongside Yeo and Partington in a clearance drill away from main group, if there is one person who would benefit from some clues in that area it would be Yeo...

Unfortunately, having the brain of a goldfish, he will have forgotten the lesson by the time he hit the showers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back