Predict the 'break out' player of 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

Much like Chris Masten's 2013 campaign which saw him become a vital cog in our team and firmly entrenched in the best 22, who do you think will 'break out' in a similar vein and contribute to this team at a consistently high standard?

- Will Brad Sheppard finally stop teasing us with flashes of brilliance?
- Can Andrew Gaff beat the tag and punish teams with that gut running we know he is capable of?
- Luke Shuey. Is it time for him to take the lead and become one of the best midfielders in the competition?
- Will Ash Smith learn to use his skill set to become a damaging half back, running and setting us up inside 50?

There's just a few. Obviously someone like Shuey is already a very good player but, for the purpose of this thread, taking the next 'step' can be considered breaking out.

My pick? I'm going to go with Jamie Cripps. I really think he is capable of cementing his spot in this team. I think he has all the tools to be a half forward who can shut out an opposing half back, whilst contributing a couple of goals a game. A totally invaluable asset to any team.

What do you think?

Please no suggestions of first-year players.

Maybe darling

I considered putting Darling in the OP. People around here expect that it is almost a natural progression for him to move into the midfield. If he does so, excels, and it is your opinion that this may happen next year, then by all means that is a legitimate nomination.

I've expressed my doubts as to his capabilities in the midfield, but I sincerely hope to be proven wrong.

I was hoping it would be Mcgoverns year next year.Still think he can be the biggest improver .

Masten didn't have a break out season according to the coaches.

In any event, I predict Murray Newman to break out...
of jail. *boom tish*

In all seriousness, I expect the whole team to break out now that Woosha is gone. Even Newman if his football career can survive this court case.

its tricky. shuey needs to take it to the next level IMO. with the new talent around, and other players stepping it up, it might enable some unexpected breakouts, and confusion with opposition tagging-heres hoping.
logically i would expect Ninja Jackflip to move on up this season, and monster some games. i would like to see kennedys footstutter gone, a great step forward so to speak, and just an annoying focus by commentators.
but i'm calling my actual breakout to be wellingham. not sure if he falls into your definition of a breakout player. he had an interrupted season, promised a lot and showed glimpses of what could be. with kerr gone,and the other new talent on the park, i'm thinking he'll take it to the next level, more consistent, improved kick, be the new gun (with his experience too) and truly show what he's capable of.
(also agree with masto -expecting a re-energised team and a mass breakout all over the place!? ((;
maybe a bit of that preseason optimism creeping in, but expecting good things, and some great footy moments)

Elliot Yeo for mine. Couple of years in the system, has good run and carry, and looks to have a bit of that X-factor that we need. Fingers crossed for him.

Additionally, I'd like to see Shannon Hurn have a break-out year too where he really steps it up and has an AA year.

I am going to go with Adam Carter.

He is physically developed and with another pre-seaon i can see him stepping it up and becoming best 22 by the end of the year. He feels a need that not many players on our list are capable of doing: A defender who is capable of negating small pesky forwards that always seem to destroy us quickly. He is also capable of playing in the midfield and if Simmo is keen to have players rotate from their position he is one that could be very handy in the midfield.

Others i think could breakout:

Gaff - I think his tough 2013 will have helped him out in the long run in dealing with a tag. He might not be able to deal with it straight away but i do expect him to have learned a few tricks.

Cripps - He could be anything and if he cleans up his handballing skills i could see him becoming a full time mid.

Sheppard - He is one player i think needs to take the extra step. If he is in the team for 22+ games next season i think it will be beneficial for him. He has the skills to be a pretty good player but he really needs to put it all together.

Lycett - From all reports he is having a killer pre-seaon and he is looking very trim. He has pretty good pace and agility for someone his size. I think they will find away to play him, Nic Nat and Cox in the team all at once and we are lucky Nic Nat and Cox pretty good up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching Cripps and Lycett tear it up for the Royals in the finals I'm pretty excited to see them get a bit more of a run next year. Also I think Hutch can become best 22

As Matt Priddis has clearly set the bar way too high already to have a breakout year, I'm going with Simon Tunbridge. Reckon he'll be the primary beneficiary of Darling moving up the ground, and he could displace Josh Hill in his own right.

Eagles website currently lists him at 191cm/95kg. If he gets games early then watch out 2014.

Ellis if he can keep fit. The good thing about West Coast at the moment is that we have been blessed with lots of talented youth, and it's just a matter of time until they flourish. Gaff, Shuey, Shep, Darling, NicNat, Lycett, Selwood and now Yeo should all improve. As well as our fringe players.

What's more interesting is who thinks what players will go back-wards. Waters possibly? Will Cox finally slow down?

The best thing about a new coach is that they'll more than likely pull a few surprises at the selection table. So i reckon Brant Colledge - maybe not straight away, but come the middle of the year he may have hopefully strung a few games together and cemented his spot in the team.

Going to say Gaff. Wasn't at his best last season and copped a ton of attention, but would have learnt plenty about how to break a tag.

Other player in mind is Darling. Sponsored him, for my reputation to continue to be revered as a sponsor, he has to smash everyone. We did resign him to a 9 year 10 million dollar deal, so he better perform.

A little left field but I think Selwood could end the year being talked about as one of the elite mids in the AFL.

He's already doing well for himself but I'm talking about taking the tag at West Coast, being selected as a top 50 player, winning AA selection and so forth.

I've got my fingers crossed on Gaff to break out in 2014. Not the skinny kid from 2011 anymore, spent a few seasons building his body weight, we know how strong a runner he is and his class disposal by foot. Has the attributes required.

Step 1 for him is learning to break a hard tag.

A little left field but I think Selwood could end the year being talked about as one of the elite mids in the AFL.

He's already doing well for himself but I'm talking about taking the tag at West Coast, being selected as a top 50 player, winning AA selection and so forth.

Personally I don't see it. I think he's much better as a tagger who can also compose the occasional attacking play; unless his skills improve substantially I just don't think he's going to be damaging enough to earn a tag, let alone make AA.

must say what i saw of tunbridge, he promises a lot - wow! just came out and owned his patch of turf...

Tunners. Threatened to dominate at WAFL level, interrupted by injury, suspension and fixturing.

Agree. His a big size to. Hopefully we can see more and more of why GWS rated him highly enough to list him because I never really took much interest in his junior career

Remove this Banner Ad

Back